VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nancy Wolfson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Gibson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Nancy Wolfson Reply with quote

Good afternoon, folks. After sitting on the sidelines and reading many-a-chat, squirrling away as much information about VO that I could, I thought it was time to finally join VO-BB and introduce myself.

My name is David Gibson (working name is David Marcus Gibson because some other parents also decided that David Gibson was a cool name) and I jumped back into VO a couple of years ago. Previously it was a side business to make some money when the stockmarket crashed from 2000 - 2002, but this time I wanted to go for making this a full time business. You might say I am finally working on something I am passionate about. I live in Central Florida (actually it's by the beach, but don't tell them in LA) near Rob Ellis, but we haven't formally met yet. I think we may have a chance to have lunch in the next few weeks.

A high school friend of mine (I'm almost 50 yrs old) studied with Nancy Wolfson and swears by her. I have seen nothing of the sort to sway me from that judgement. An LA agent who almost signed me, and knows Nancy, suggested I study with someone else (a reputable, full-time, working voice talent), instead of Nancy.

I see this as an investment in my business and it seems that every single person that has studied with Nancy is a better voice talent after the experience, and if you have the chops, gets into the fast lane of getting signed by a good agent and a flow of commercial work.

You can already tell which way I'm leaning, but is this a "no-brainer" if I want to be on the road to top-tier talent (as best as I can get with no plans to move to LA)?

Cheers, everyone!! Happy New Year!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you study with the Agent's choice then the Agent WILL sign you? If so then go with the Agent's choice.

I already know the answer so would like to add, enjoy your time with Nancy (AKA the future Mrs Banks).
David Gibson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The agent never said that she would sign me if I trained with Mr. X. She said that he would help me get passed the stage where I'm just missing out on booking. I know I'm slow sometimes, but I didn't get a clear hint.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I got that. This is business and the agent gave you guidance with no pay off only pay out! The world is full of useless advice.

Get coaching from me, there's no point in that either.

Go with Nancy, she has a track record of steering people towards success. Best reference ever. SHE REFUSES TO COACH ME!
David Gibson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Philip! Maybe you still have a chance for her hand in marriage, but it doesn't look like she's slowing down anytime soon.

If it don't kill you, it makes you stronger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

39 cents on a ring ..WASTED! Laugh But I remain optimistic.

About 5 years ago a person who I now consider my best friend went to Nancy with an idea. The idea was simply "could I make a living a Voice Over?" That person could and after some time in Nancy's care does. Real world stuff; pays the mortgage, puts food on the table and has money left over for the fun stuff in life.

No matter what you decide I wish you good luck in 2015 and beyond.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like college. You don't take one class with one teacher and call yourself finished. Study with as many as you need. I'm 30 years in the industry, and I still work with a coach. So do many, if not most of the top Oscar/Emmy/Tony winners. Artists have to continue to grow and evolve.

I've never studied with Nancy, though I know her. She's terrific! And a great coach for those she's terrific for. You are the only person who will know if she's right for you. My advice is to book a session with both of these coaches and see which one you connect with. Just know that not all coaches are right for every actor, myself included. It's a chemistry thing. I've been teaching for over 25 years, and of course there have been some whose boat I didn't float. There have been a handful whom I've refunded money after a couple of sessions because they weren't right/ready for me.

I studied with everyone. Not all floated my boat. But I banked what worked and disregarded what didn't. I studied acting years ago with Stella Adler and hated it. Not for me. But I never would have known unless I gave it a shot. And, I'm glad I did. It helped me figure out what did work when I found it. It's a journey. And everything, from coach referrals to demo critiques are just individual opinions. Wink
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliantly made point! Something with someone will simply click and then you'll move onwards and upwards. As in life so in work, never lose your thirst for knowledge.
David Gibson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, too, Bob! I am booked with Mr. X in January, so I'll check out the future Mrs. Banks afterwards and see what's what.

This is a journey and sometimes I forget that as I'm learning so much in a short period of time. Even Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy have coaches to use an analogy.

Happy New Years, gents!

richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
But I banked what worked and disregarded what didn't.

This is fantastic advice. I took an acting class with Billie Shepard at San Jose Rep some years ago, and she made a similar point, using a tool box analogy: "I can't make you a better actor. I can only give you some tools to put in your toolbox. If some of them don't work for you, get rid of them, and get some others."

And I heartily agree that not every coach is right for every student. I'm getting some coaching from Marc Cashman right now, and I feel like he's a great fit for me. I don't know if Nancy would be or not, but with all the good things I hear about her, I might find out some day. I don't think Nancy's offended that I'm studying with Marc, and I don't think Marc will be offended if I see Nancy someday and he finds out.

Cheers,
Rich
@RichMillerVO
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip is going to get upset with you Rich. You have made it clear you intend to spend time with his future wife.

I have to quote another great artist when I hear Phillip wise meanderings. The quote reads: "Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth". Sherlock Holmes - A Sign Of Four.

Gather all the information you are able to glean. Choose what works for you, and eliminate what does not and you will be the better.

Frank F
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome aboard David! Great to have you join. If you've read the other introductions...you know the drill Smile
David Gibson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err, Jason, is this the part where I stand on a table and sing the college fight song? Or get spanked by a paddle and say, "Thank you, sir, may I have another one!"? Or do I simply have to buy lunch for all 1000+ members of VO-BB?

melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you can do all that David, if you have time after cleaning up after the llama. He's been having stomach problems lately. It's kind of messy.

Bring dark chocolate - lots of it - but PLEASE make sure to keep it away from the llama.

Oh - and welcome!
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...llama...chocolate. But! If I'm ever in Florida, I'll definitely take you up on lunch Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: