VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m-audio vs. m-box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: m-audio vs. m-box Reply with quote

Ok...I think me head is going to explode on picking out an audio interface Explode . I was all set to get the m-box2 w/ protools factory bundle when I listened to yet another opinion (and let me tell you, there are as many opinions about this as ice cream flavors and the opiners are very passionate about their choice) who said the m-box has a latency problem since it is only usb 1.1 not 2 and I won't be able to hear myself while I record. The m-audio has the protools like software by avid (M-audio pro-tools m-powered) and is a firewire link so I won't have this latency problem. My computer is the Mac Book Pro, my mic is the AT-4033. I'm going with pro-tools for it's universality so please no flaming about that. Can anyone help stop a poor girl's head from exploding? M-boxers, what's with the supposed latency? Any problems with hearing yourself while recording? Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Now what did I come in here for?

Last edited by Pam on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, anyone flaming hardware or software choices gets a smackdown, and they know it.

Second-- I don't have any trouble at all with my Mbox, but I bypass its preamps and use an outboard mixer because of the other stuff I do.

I have no trouble when I DO have to monitor straight through it, like overdubbing tracks I've laid down in a session. There are probably better interfaces, but the Mbox and Pro Tools are solid, Jackson.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam,

I use the m-audio Firewire Solo with M-powered Pro-Tools 7.1 on Windows XP Pro through my humble AMD-powered 2-Ghz DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). That version of Pro-Tools -- as far as I can tell -- is almost identical to Pro-Tools LE...or is it HD?...at any rate, it's fully-endowed...not a "lite" version.

I like the interface -- it's loaded with quality features -- but there are a couple of problems I have not been able to lick...even after asking members of this forum, the Pro-ToolsDigidesign Forum, and even personally appealing to Grover Gardner, Edge Studio Pro-tools guru, and AudioBook narrator extraordinaire.

#1 I cannot seem to configure the software to play (output) through my computer's speakers...only back through the headphones from my M-audio Firewire solo.

#2 When recording -- I have to "mute" the playback through my headphones, or I get a nasty echo (latency?). That's not so bad, but it doesn't allow me to use one of the neat features of Pro-Tools: the keyboard /stop/play/reverse/record/ "hot" keys. I have to first take the "mute" off, then back on.... it just totally defeats the ease of the hot-keys.

'Hope this isn't too confusing for you... some on this board will argue that Pro-Tools is way over-the-top too powerful and complicated for the relatively simple needs of a solo VO talent....kinda like bringing in a speedboat to get across the pond, when a rowboat will do.

I find the more I use Pro-tools, the more I appreciate all the amazing features it has, and all the things it can do. But when I'm in a hurry? It's Sony Audio Studio or GoldWave, or even Audacity (free).

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an MBox. It's just mic to MBox to PowerBook running Pro Tools, and I can hear myself with no latency when I'm recording a simple voice track.

There is some latency when I record my voice on top of another track that has already been recorded and I want to hear the mix live as it gets recorded, but even then it's pretty minimal, and Pro Tools has a setting that lets you cut that down almost completely by adjusting the buffer (or something). So in those rare cases that I do that, I hear a slight echo of my own voice while I'm recording.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an M-Audio MobilePre USB with Adobe Audition. I am very happy except I can't figure out how to hear through my headphones while recording, but I can hear on speakers, or cans, or both on playback.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: m-audio vs. m-box Reply with quote

Pam wrote:
Does anyone really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

If so, I can't imagine why. We've all got time enough to cry.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in another post: "I promised I wouldnt say anything, ....".

So I won't.

Toodles

Frank F

Just know there are fixes and work-arounds for the M-Audio and M-Box problem, Most have something to do with software - either PC or Mac version of ProTools and or other software such as Audition, etc.

Mainly, make sure you have selected the right In's and Out's regarding the SOFTWARE side of interface, have no other I/O selected to the same point, and check your monitoring set-up... these are the likely answers to the issues with the interface(s).

FF
COURVO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC....

....showing your age, bud!!!.... and some people have never heard of "CHICAGO".

Too bad for them!

Courvo
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that Courvo...I was just playing Chicago's Greatest hits in my car on the way home from work today. Laugh

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC stop it, now I have Chicago tunes running through my head and can't stop to think of how to help Courvo fix his toys... hahahaha

This is: "...only the beginning, only the beginning..." "Saturday In the Park"... Oh, somebody stop me... help... (I know that's the Beatles).

Toodles

Frank F
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help myself. The first eight albums I ever bought in my life were Chicago Transit Authority through Chicago VIII. And Jim Pankow (the trombone player) is from my home town. I used to caddy with his brother.

Old days, good times I remember...
COURVO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC....

(totally thread-jacking here)

....then maybe you remember a group of the time that used to make the circuit, by the name of THE ONE-EYED JACKS?

Courvo
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COURVO wrote:
TC........then maybe you remember a group of the time that used to make the circuit, by the name of THE ONE-EYED JACKS?

Yes! They all had MBoxes, right? With zero latency?

(Actually, no. But I thought I'd reiterate my earlier answer so as to get back on-topic.)
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony gets an Gold Star for effort.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to continue in an Off topic mode. My brother in law has played trumpet with Chicago several times, including 3 dates this summer, and is now part of the Blood Sweat and Tears horn section. Just saw him this morning (for a brief stop at home) to pick up some rigid fiberglass for my office/studio)

Back on topic and not bashing any manufacturer, but have used Avid products for about 12 years, Avid (which owns digidesign) used to "qualify" hardware to work with their software, You had to buy media drives from them because they tweaked them in order tohandle video (back in the days when a 9 gig drive was HUGE) I suspect their not having sound from the M-Box going thru the PC circuitry is to avoid conflicts. If they keep it in their own "closed system" so to speak, they know it will work and don't have to worry about dealing with those issues.

as evident in some of my posts about getting the M-Audio 2496 (now Avid owned) to work with Avid Express Pro. they didnt write drivers for any sound cards, but have recently, from what I understand started working out the issues with at least the M-Audio cards. Since its a digital I/0, AV goes in and out thru firewire so the soundcard is only needed (in that usage) for monitoring, so even the on-board digital soundmax worked, and SB cards wrok, but get a good card in the box and... well, installing another video eidting package shook things up and Avid started working wtih the M-Audio card. Driver issue or did the Xpress Pro get nervous around competition? Shocked I don't know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: