VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice123 non payment issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Voice123 non payment issue Reply with quote

I have never had this happen, and I'm in unchartered territory here..

A V123 job just kicked back, one that was done before Christmas.. the client hired me from the audition, gave me a script, and a voice link to match with some general direction.

I sent three takes, got a PO and sent off and invoice. now I am informed, three weeks later, they wont be paying the invoice because the read was off.. mind you, this was NOT done via phone patch..

After further digging, I found out this job has been posted a number of times on the site..

I contacted V123 and they claimed it is a clear violation of policy on their part.. Has this happened to anything else?

PS.. PM me if you need more specific info on the client...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God. That absolutely sucks. It's been years since I've bathed in the V123 cesspool. Are they now using some system where payment comes via V123? In the old days, the site had no hand in how payment was executed between client and talent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew in a call to V123 and they did intervene, saying would notify the client that if the invoice isn't paid they would terminate his usage of V123.. the client called back and said he would "try" to get the producer to pay up, or use me after all for the project. He apologized and claimed it was last minute, rush, project over the holidays, blah, blah, blah...

If the client flat out refuses to pay, V123 will intervene.. However, if you've chased down the client repeatedly for your money and still nothing, V123 says their policy is "it's between you and the client, in the future get the money upfront"..

So no, V123 does not intermediate your payments..

in the meantime, I've got another V123 client I've been chasing down for a month and havent' heard hide nor hair from.. My percentage of getting paid on V123 has been pretty high overall, but when this crap surfaces, it throws you off your game..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have a PO, that should at least give you some documentation to use to (threaten to) take them to court.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
Since you have a PO, that should at least give you some documentation to use to (threaten to) take them to court.

Great point.. what does it cost to litigate a $300 gig?
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the question. Even with small claims there is a filing fee, serving the papers (may be harder than you think), showing up to court. Even if you get a judgment you may then need to try and collect. It could easily exceed $300 plus your time.

A strongly worded letter emphasizing that you have a contract. If that doesn't work you may want to consider it a learning experience.

Good luck.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collection agencies are better than small claims court.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collection agencies charge for services too. It is all about how much of your valuable time and money you want to spend to try to collect? Neither court nor collections will net you $300.

I would try a demand letter first.

greg@gregorybest.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threat of small claims court or a collection agency (and a note to Dun & Bradstreet) may be sufficient to pry the payment out of them without actually having to follow through on any of them.

It could be as simple as explaining your position in terms they should be able to understand. For instance, if they went to a restaurant and ordered a meal, but when the waiter arrived with the food they told him, "We changed our minds and we're going to McDonalds instead," they couldn't just leave without paying. Most people should be able to grasp that concept.

And if all of the above fail, you still have the satisfaction of proceeding with a small claims action or collection, just to make things deservedly unpleasant for them.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my point Lee. Postage is cheaper.

greg@gregorybest.com
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
The threat of small claims court or a collection agency (and a note to Dun & Bradstreet) may be sufficient to pry the payment out of them without actually having to follow through on any of them.

Exactly.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any client, regardless of the time constraints, will ALWAYS try to set up a patch-in session with critical and complicated projects.. To throw a sample vo and a few directions via email at the talent and expect a !00% perfect, finished product..in 1 take.. very unrealistic and ..total BS

Its like going to get a custom paint job on your vintage Corvette, and telling the body shop guy to look out the window.. "see, that car that just passed by, THAT's the color I want!"
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big hassle. Sorry to hear about this.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE; V123 intervened and convinced the client that paying me was in his best interest. Check arrived yesterday.. Remarkable..
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for a happy ending! I for one am pleasantly surprised that V123 stepped up and contacted the client. Good on 'em!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: