VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The road to failure ................
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: The road to failure ................ Reply with quote

One of the best ways to find the road to success is having the courage to discover what lies on the road to failure. Many people know that this is not a negative approach, it helps you grow and encourages you to confront your demons. The worst thing that can happen is that you save yourself a lot of wasted time, money and energy persuing something that is not for you.

A good way to approach this exercise is with a pen and paper. Write your answers to each question having given it a great deal of thought. There are no right or wrong answer so you can't cheat and if you try to fool anyone you will only be fooling yourself.

1 - Why you? There are 1,000s of voice overs out there, mostly bad. What sets you apart from them?

2 - Big deal, you come from a radio/acting background. The audience won't believe an actor or a DJ. How are you going to make a piece of copy believable?

3 - Name the voice over you are trying to emulate, the one you idolise and then ask yourself which is easier - to be the 2nd A.B Vox or the first you?

4 - How much technology do you need to sound great?

5 -If you walked into a building would the person who met you be surprised to learn you are the voice or would it be obvious?

6 - The job with the bad tempered director, inept sound engineer, over written copy and stressed client turned out bad, why?

7 - Do you get mad when another voice appears to get all the work that is rightfully yours?

8 - Why do total strangers compliment you on the way you sound and the way you communicate?

9 - How much have you learned from other voice overs (not including coaching) in the past month?

10 - Tomorrow you leave your other sources of income behind you to make a living exclusively from voice overs. How do you feel?

11 - Have you set yourself clearly defined targets and goals for your career? What are they?

12 - The project is all about your voice. Explain why?

13 - As marketing is not about your talent and skills what is your gimmick?

14 - How many other voice overs would you recommend? Your reputation is on the line, happy with that?

15 - How many prospective new clients have you contacted this week?

All of the above questions are designed to make you really think. The answers are for you only as some are personal. It's not so much about what makes you tick as helping you find the voice over artist within. You will soon find yourself asking more questions.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice list, Banksey. Thanks for the periodic mental tweaks. Smile I have to admit that, in most instances, I'm not only easily intimidated, but tend to psyche myself out. That's poison in such a competitive field as this.

In all honesty, hanging out here and listening to what everyone here is doing is my daily exercise of forcing myself to stay on the horse and not talk myself out of something I know I can do well. My wife told me the other day that I need to get an ego, so I consider that part of my voiceover career building routine. If I can't advocate for myself, then no one will.
VO-BB Member #59
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad is the great list-maker and has passed attribute that on to me.

Bankey's #11:
Quote:
Have you set yourself clearly defined targets and goals for your career? What are they?

Write 'em down. If you write this stuff out, it becomes much more achievable because you've made part of it concrete. The clarity comes from having to articulate it in specifics.

I've always wanted to do cartoon voice. It FEELS like always. . .it has been at least 30 years so it may as well be always. That has been the look-into-the-distance goal, the intermediate work I could do was chosen with that in mind.
Being a radio DJ in Seacoast NH was grand and fun and gave me a chance to practice voice stuff with commercials. Not always intellectually stimulating, but I was working every day. Being a traffic reporter/newscaster in Boston was not fun and didn't seem to be helping "my career" even though I was being heard every day in Boston. It didn't cut any ice with the producers or casting agents I was contacting, sending tapes to, etc so I quit doing it full time and devoted my work back to radio DJing again. Work harder. Practice more, improve, branch out with. Then I got a traffic job that DID make a difference and gave me name recognition in Boston.
Blah blah blah. I had a very specific stricture on my career: Children. But Guitar Boy is out of college and Younger Bear is a senior in high school, so my freedoms and availabilities have been increasing over the last couple of years. My obsessive networking and website got the kind of attention that got me jobs doing voice for games and animation projects. My available technologies have grown so I can do long-distance sessions with game people and commercial producers. I now have the time and funds to fly to Los Angeles.
The goal remains the same but the path has changed and changed and changed and changed.

fixed a typo, added a phrase

Last edited by Deirdre on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to have around us people we trust. Knowing we are good enough is one thing, having a naive opinion of our abilities and unrealistic expectations is another.

A voice over placed the following on a web site in order to get some work. "With my considerable experience of voiceover and radio presenting work, you know it would make sense to enlist my services! What’s more, I can prove it.

I have performed voiceovers for all manner of corporate videos/DVDs - everything from vehicle towbars to the NHS, plus much more besides - and am comfortable operating in my native English as well as in French and German".

In my opinion and the opinion of a number of other people, as a voice over he sucks. That's not to say he has no potential and with some guidance he could do ok, it's just at the moment he brings nothing to the party.

We have to grow up very quickly. If Deirdre tells me I'm not ready yet, that my character voice demo sucks it costs me nothing. If a producer or director finds out I'm not ready yet and my character demo sucks it will cost me money for a long time. Why? Because he's unlikely ever to tell me but he will tell everyone else!
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited to remove comments that some found offensive.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
patfraley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Banksey,

What an excellent list.
1 - Why you? There are 1,000s of voice overs out there, mostly bad. What sets you apart from them?

Your style. True style is realized by the combination of three elements:
1. Flaunting your skills
2. Flaunting your limitations
3. Hiding your limitations

2 - Big deal, you come from a radio/acting background. The audience won't believe an actor or a DJ. How are you going to make a piece of copy believable?

The audience believes actors and DJ all the time. Dick Clark said, “the key to success in sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it licked.”

3 - Name the voice over you are trying to emulate, the one you idolise and then ask yourself which is easier - to be the 2nd A.B Vox or the first you?

It's not a matter of ease. The harder road, is authenticity. It's the only road that doesn't dead end.

4 - How much technology do you need to sound great?

Exactly.

5 -If you walked into a building would the person who met you be surprised to learn you are the voice or would it be obvious?

That depends on what you look like. I'm the best looking, thinnest guy on the radio. Daws Butler was under five feet tall.

6 - The job with the bad tempered director, inept sound engineer, over written copy and stressed client turned out bad, why?

Bad direction, poor sound, bad writing, and an unskilled client. Harrision Ford refers to his job as, “an assistant storyteller.” How much responsibility can a talent take?

7 - Do you get mad when another voice appears to get all the work that is rightfully yours?

There is nothing that we “rightfully” deserve. We all deserve death.

8 - Why do total strangers compliment you on the way you sound and the way you communicate?

I get complimented by strangers when I sound phony. When I'm using my theatre voice.

9 - How much have you learned from other voice overs (not including coaching) in the past month?

I learn from the other teachers I hire. It's not quantity. It's a little quality.

10 - Tomorrow you leave your other sources of income behind you to make a living exclusively from voice overs. How do you feel?

When I left my day job, it was long after I could have, and it felt just fine. Katharine Hepburn said, “when your groceries aren't on the line, your shoulders drop three inches.”

11 - Have you set yourself clearly defined targets and goals for your career? What are they?

Always the same; To meet my family’s needs. To my knowledge, in all of the Old and New Testament, there is no work in Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek for “career.” Just “work”.

12 - The project is all about your voice. Explain why?

It never is. No exception.

13 - As marketing is not about your talent and skills what is your gimmick?

Marketing is all about talent and skills. The gimmick is effectively presenting your style (content) with an evocative, meaningful brand (form). It's about combining and progressing your style using the four pillars that support the Temple of Voice Over Business: Marketing, Advertising, Promotion, and Public Relations.

14 - How many other voice overs would you recommend? Your reputation is on the line, happy with that?

Every single voice over talent I've ever met. Truly, the worst can be perfect for one job. It's a matter of how many times I would recommend them.

15 - How many prospective new clients have you contacted this week?

Here's a more productive question: How many Little League games did you attend wherein a prospective client's kid was pitching?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patfraley wrote:

Here's a more productive question: How many Little League games did you attend wherein a prospective client's kid was pitching?

My last "boys night out" was the Stag Night (batchelor party) for a man who produces TV commercials. On the night were 3 TV commercials producers who last year between them made over 400 ad's.

I've discovered that by making friends I accidentally make business contacts. Having said that, anyone cynically "networking" will get found out.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Careful!! Reply with quote

Some of the previous posts could be construed as rude, contentious, in poor taste and possibly libelous. Even if you don't mind or you even encourage others to directly pull quotes or work off your website and ridicule it openly, it may still convey an image unacceptable to others (maybe even a potential client). Wink
Besides, I may not be able to speak fluent French or German, but I can probably make you think I can! Inoccent

(Tongue fully planted in cheek) Laugh
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're safe though as being rude is a matter of opinion, being contentious is the hallmark of mature debate, one can only publish a libel if it defames not if it defines and surely making wild claims is fraud .............. Or is it marketing?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: The road to failure ................ Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

A good way to approach this exercise is with an open diaper..

I need new glasses.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The road to failure ................ Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Banksey wrote:

I need new glasses.

Oh I don't know. Fear has an unfortunate effect on some people.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or is it marketing?

Banksey, I like your style.
My motto: "I don't care what you say--just spell and pronounce my name right!"

Willie E
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The road to failure ................ Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Banksey wrote:

I need new glasses.

I may need a new keyboard.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glittlefield wrote:
In all honesty, hanging out here and listening to what everyone here is doing is my daily exercise of forcing myself to stay on the horse and not talk myself out of something I know I can do well ... If I can't advocate for myself, then no one will.

One of the most powerful moments at this year's Summit, a couple of weeks ago, took place during the panel discussion with the casting directors and talent agents. A young man from a small town in Michigan got up to ask a question, starting with a comment something like, "I'm from a small town in Michigan and don't have a shot at any of this big time stuff you folks are talking about, but..."

One of the panel members stopped him at that point and said, "Young man, you have exactly the sound that people are looking for. You're wrong. You do have a shot at this work."

The young man expressed amazement and then made another self-deprecating comment, and in a matter of a few more seconds two or three more.

At this point, David Lawrence stopped the guy again and told him, "You've just told us five different ways why you can't do this work. Until you figure out how to convince yourself that you can, you're right. That's what you have to do, first."
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
My last "boys night out" was the Stag Night (batchelor party) for a man who produces TV commercials. On the night were 3 TV commercials producers who last year between them made over 400 ad's.

I've discovered that by making friends I accidentally make business contacts. Having said that, anyone cynically "networking" will get found out.

I sang two songs last evening at my sister-in-law's wedding. I was there purely as a happy favor to her, not to promote myself. Several guests came up to compliment me and nearly all asked if I sang professionally. I replied that I do use my voice professionally, but only occasionally to sing. This further piques interest, allows you to talk about VO briefly, and makes it far less "pushy" when you finally offer a business card.

One even asked if I sang jingles. I replied that those gigs usually go to bona fide professional singers, but that it sometimes intersects. (A good friend of mine was one of the first voices on the Titan Auto Insurance "Titan Up" spots, both singing the jingle and delivering the copy.)

Oops, rambling. Carry on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: