VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to buy the mic!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
verbcrunch
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what we all want to know is.. which mic do you like to use most ?

Putting the U87 in the front of that impressive list tells me it's your #1 "go to" mic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the U87 Gold is MY mic, but don't that fool you, I also use a simple Radio Shack wonder - a $67.00 microphone, when I am on the road. Or a Marshall, or an RE-20, or...

Then there is Location Audio for film and video... 123 mic's and counting... from shotgun to laviliers to wireless...

I remember when I first started out in the VO business many, many, many moons ago that I couldn't afford a really good microphone - I swore that if I ever made some money I would own as many mic's as I could possibly afford, and use them. So I do.

Toodles

Frank F
CWToo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the music recording business, microphones are thought of as paint brushes. Each one has its own color and texture.

Now with the artistic metaphore out of the way, for some reason my voice seems to work OK with just about any mic (or brush). The other day I had to match a read done weeks earlier on a 414 with the only mic available at the moment which was a Sennheiser shotgun. It worked fine. On one (rare) busy day I was recorded on a TLM 103, Rode NT, a 414 and a U87 in different rooms. I guess they sounded OK because I'm still working.

The point: no one microphone is the magic microphone. Find a technically decent mic, but one commonly used in VO to make your clients comfortable with your equipment choices.

Does anyone remember when a Rode NT was considered to be a cheap condenser? And did you notice that by adding NT, it turns a Rode into a rat?
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the NTK/TLM-103 subject..I'm using both. The NTK with a Focusrite Voicemaster in my home/Connecticut studio and a TLM-103 with a Summit pre/comp-limiter in my Boston room.

While the NTK is technically a tube..it doesn't have the typical tube sound..it's slightly warmer than an fet mic...but not as "fuzzy" as some high end tubes. Deebs is totally right about the bump in the mics curve. Works for some..not for others. It's good for my voice...cuts right thru a mix with little or no eq.

The TLM-103 is a bit smoother to my ear...and very sensitive. I find the Summit a little fuzzy if you drive the tubes at all.

Just my two cents...your mileage may vary.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if I could only sample all of those mics in a studio setting.....
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn - Contact Sonic Arts in Cincinnati (www.mix2pix.com) and explain you would like an hour of time for mic comparisons. I know they have a selection of Neumanns, the MKH-416 and a multitude of other mics. It will cost about $100 to rent the room and engineer for the hour. They run the mics through a Neve Portico pre-amp. (Which I loved the sound of.) If they don't have a mic you want to try, a lot of dealers and stores will let you try them out before you buy.

Give it a shot.

On a side note, since I know you and your voice, the U-87 would be my choice.

Dan
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure your mic test includes the phrase "97X the future of rock 'n roll" Rainman

Don't buy a mic from K-mart.....K-mart sucks Ray.....oHobo Tounges, tech/store bashing. I love K-mart/Sears. Really I do.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, kmart sucks... yeah time for wopner
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats "97X (bang) the future of rock 'n roll"

Yeah...excellent driver....yeah....
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Davis wrote:
Thats "97X (bang) the future of rock 'n roll"

Ahhh yes.....the bang or was it bam?? You must be a production master Chuck to remember that.

Sorry Glenn Foot in Mouth

I can vouch for the AT4033 as a very decent alternative to some of the higher priced mics. The 416 is pretty 'face melting' as well....not as kind to the wallet though.

I think Bruce said at one point that smaller studios (video) in your area may be interested in renting the mic for shoots from time to time. Something to think about also. Make that mic work for you.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Chuck Davis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah Ben.

Terminal Geek. Shocked
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Pre amps Reply with quote

The thing about mics is that the pre amp or vocal strip can make a HUGE difference. I ran a Gefell M930 through a Symetrix 528e, a Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro, and a Great River ME-1NV. Now the Gefell is a pretty decent mic, in line with the TLM103. Through the Symetrix - terrible. Very brittle and flat. Through the VoiceMaster, not bad. The Great River, though, and the Gefell make for a sweet chain. Then I ran a Peluso CEM6 pencil mic through the chain. It took to the Symetrix very nicely. The Voicemaster and Great River were so-so. Then for an RE20. It, too, worked well with the Symetrix. The Great River can't seem to get enough gain to really fire it up. It also sounds good through the pre amps on a Firepod. But then again, that's what worked for me and my voice. So when asking about mics, the wrong pre can make a good mic sound blah, or so-so mics sound good.

Three (or four) mics I would suggest you consider are:

Gefell M930 ($1000 - $1100)
RE20 (or an SM7b) ($400)
Studio Electronics se2200 ($299) The sleeper of the group.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the U87 and MKH-416. Those two mics will never leave my mic locker. For the more budget minded, also have used the SM7b, Rode NTK, CAD M177, and Rode NTG. Those worked well also. Just gotta try'em out if possible.

Russ
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my recommendation in for the Lawson mics. I use the L47FET model. Very sweet cool

http://www.lawsonmicrophones.com
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good info. Thanks much gang. I think going into a studio and trying different mics might be a good idea. Thanks for the advice Dan!

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: