VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVR/voice prompt rate structure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voxo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: IVR/voice prompt rate structure Reply with quote

just following up on john's question in an earlier thread... I am a longtime

VO and need to have a logical structure by which to quote IVR/voice

prompt...and, let's throw in on-hold - VO. I have a number of existing

clients who have asked me to add that to the repertoire i currently voice

for them...(voice messaging for the phone system of a client i do

spots for...and so forth).... I am inclined to think the old school rule of

an hourly non-broadcast session rate as the basis is no longer competitive

given the glut of IVR/internet-based providers of this service.

Any suggestions on "model" rate sheets to check out for reference, or,

specific guidelines would be much appreciated on this particular VO realm.

mark/

vox1@aol.com
vox1
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Same question... Reply with quote

I was not logged in when i posted the above question....I am really

interested in some input on a basis by which to quote IVR/voice prompt/

messaging...

If nothing else, if anyone has a point of reference in the form of a site or sites where someone has a rate schedule posted, that would at least give me some sense of how to approach this.

To elaborate a bit...many longstanding clients for whom i just did spots

or narration are asking me to quote pricing for their phone systems...

IVR, etc.

In the past I'd simply gone with an hourly-based narration/session rate

or a fraction thereof, and just approached this like any other non-broadcast work. However, it seems a lot of companies dedicated solely to this realm

of production expect quotes using such variables as word-count, page-count, file count, and so on.

I welcome thoughts or examples of how others here or anywhere go about

pricing voice-messaging and prompt work vs. basic narration for, say

video/multimedia.. or is the session/hourly rate still a valid standard for

anything under the broad umbrella of narration including IVR/prompt stuff.

Thanks again for input!

Mark E

Saying something since 1970-
something
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: On-Hold, IVR Reply with quote

Hi vox1,

I noticed you are looking for a basis with which to quote for IVR/voice-prompt messaging.

Check out http://www.interactivevoices.com/rates.htm

I found that very useful. Not that I've gone with their rates, but at least it gives me an idea what some clients may expect to pay. I don't check out the union sites because I am not a member and, I don't plan to become a member so there is no point basing any of my decisions on what they believe to be the applicable rate for this industry. Please, before anyone gets grumpy - I'm NOT bagging the unions, I believe each to their own - it's just not my scene. Smile

I also believe in the old saying ... "Forewarned is forearmed". Having the above-mentioned rate sheet and staying up-to-date with other "online" voice actors' industry rates (like through this bulletin board) means you're not completely in the dark when considering a quote for clients.

Also, by expecting clients to want a McDonald's advertisement for five bucks allows me to be prepared with a bit of marketing prowess to "state my case" (which is something I know I will have to do when I ask for more than the industry standard).

But, back to your original questions ...

I have found that for on-hold messaging, clients expect a "set" rate per A4 page - standard 12 point font. This is where it can get tricky ... do you quote a rate of $50.00 (which would be the minimum) or do you go higher?

Now, being the minimum price, you would state that $50.00 covers from one paragraph up to ..... ? paragraphs. You have to consider how many words per paragraph you would consider to be the standard?

Ok - my standard might be different to yours but it's all relative. That's the thing with this industry, having shifted to it's online position it's still very new in the area of rates. Everyone keeps referring to what's been the norm in the offline world, but really isn't this a totally new area to discover?

Re IVR prompts - what would you feel comfortable quoting?

Have fun everyone,

Debbie Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: