VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on vocal booth build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Update on vocal booth build Reply with quote

Many of you have been curious how my attempt at a VO booth build has been going. I'm very happy to say it's finally nearing completion and in workable order.

I just recorded a small passage from William Bligh's "The Mutiny On Board H.M.S. Bounty" as a test file. No processing on the mic. How does my first test sound? Small disclaimer: I'm a bit stuffed up and the allergy medicine hasn't taken effect yet.

There are still some tweaks that need to be done to the booth so I'm still playing with my mix of reflective and absorbative (is that a word?) surfaces. At the moment I've placed Auralex on all the walls and the ceiling but the floor is reflective.

As you will see in the pictures the booth is diamond shaped. The back walls are 4 feet each, the two short walls are approximately 2 feet and the front wall with the door is approximately 4 feet. It's a bit small I know, but it's all the space I could take up.

Here's a few pics of the build:

The outline for the walls.

Putting up the framing.

Added gypsum board to the inside and MDF to the outside.

Now with Auralex Goodness

The isolation of the walls is amazing. The door still needs some work. Too much sound coming in around the edges. It's not bad, but nowhere near as good as the walls. Nevertheless, my wife can now type on her computer in the same room without disturbing my recordings.

I still have to install the ventilation. It's a work in progress in my garage at the moment.

I also need to add a real floor as some point. Lowe's has some parquet floor at a very good price that I might use and then add a rug. Or I may just carpet it. I haven't decided yet.

I'll pretty up the outside too. My wife wants me to put beadboard on it. I'm not really keen on the stuff but I may give in on this one.

Also, I need better lighting. I have a floor lamp I'm going to try first. If that doesn't work then I'll add some low wattage track lighting and maybe a light attached to the copy stand I'm building.

And finally, I plan on adding an LCD monitor, mouse and keyboard so I can control my DAW from the booth and read copy without having to print it out. Plus that will help the lighting situation some.

The work continues but I am so glad I've finally got it almost done.

Was it worth it? Hmmm. I haven't added up the exact costs in a while but I've spent about $1300.00 to date. I budgeted $1800 and still have a few things to add (like the lcd monitor) but I got lucky and shaved a bunch off my budget for Auralex. And that doesn't account for who knows how many manhours put into it. My wife says that when we move (I hope it's a good long time away) she wants me to buy a prebuilt and save the headaches and cussing for other projects. We'll see.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Brian. Thanks for posting your progress and tips.
I'm an occasional woodworker/furniture builder and you've given me some great ideas for when I finally build a booth!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone building a booth needs a dog to help-- that should be in the instructions.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom.

DB, You should have seen her try to help paint. I should have gotten a picture of that. One side of her was almost totally white. Thank goodness latex paint cleans up easily.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add... are you planning ventilation updates too? Wink
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Tom.

My knowlegde here is VERY limited so I'm still playing with it. Here's what I'm thinking at the moment. I'm building two baffles like this:

The air (and sound waves) have to make several 90 degree turns before entering the booth. Hopefully the sound waves don't make it...

The internal walls of the baffles will be caulked (airtight you know) and lined with mineral wool.

For the exhaust side, I'll attach a fan to one end of the baffle to suck air out of the booth. I'll mount the fan in it's own separate box and run that to the baffle with flexible ducting to cut down on any vibration issues. At the other end, I'll attach ducting to the long side (missing in the picture) and run it through the double wall of the booth near the ceiling of one of the short walls (Man I hate the idea of cutting holes in my well isolated walls) and caulk everything up tight. I'm still debating what type of fan to use. Either a squirrel cage or an inductor fan. The inductor is cheaper, the squirrel cage is supposed to be quieter. Either way I'll probably put it on a speed control, get an oversized fan and slow it down for less noise.

I'm thinking I'll leave the intake side passive. Same basic idea but without the fan. This will be attached to the short wall near the floor.

So the hot air in the booth gets sucked out near the ceiling where it collects and cool air enters near the floor.

I'm reading everything I can about pressure and all that other HVAC crap. It's a lot to wrap your head around.

I don't know how well this will work but that's where I'm heading at the moment.

On that note, I'd be curious to know how the ventilation systems on the prebuilt booths are constructed. If anybody wants to share I'd greatly appreciate it.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, that is some very impressive handy work! I am jealous of both your skills and that you have what looks like a great booth. Just curious, are you using a solid core door?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff. It's been a lot of work.

Yeah, it's a solid core prehung door from Home Depot. Hindsight being 20/20 I shouldn't have bought the prehung version. I ended up having to tear off the casing and rebuild it since the walls are so thick.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo boothman! You aren't messing around are you? Nice work.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

Last edited by asnively on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I agree. Very impressive work. Thank you for the insights and the inspiration.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone. Heck, I consider the build the easy part. Now the hard part comes - gaining enough steady "voice-talking" work to pay for it and justify the expense.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Heck, I consider the build the easy part. Now the hard part comes - gaining enough steady "voice-talking" work to pay for it and justify the expense.

Once you figure that little nugget out please clue me in. Wink
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah-- where do we sign up?
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does my first test sound?

Quiet! Nicely done. On a related note, I'd go for the squirrel fan if indeed it's less noisy/quieter.

Quote:
absorbative (is that a word?)

absorptive

Love, love, love the dog, at the ready to help, little boo boo! I also like the "actual size" inference with her in the front of the booth's floor frame!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: