VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marketing Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Marketing Question Reply with quote

I work part time for a local radio station and it has been suggested to me that I market myself to PD's at radio stations. I work for C...R CHA..EL. Number 1 what is the best approach to take when contacting PD's at other stations. Number 2-Is it a conflict of interests i.e. could I get in trouble??

any thoughts??
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make some calls and drop some tapes/CD's... Remember, you were looking for a job when you found that one. So just how much damage could it do?

The question is: do you wish to work with CC all your radio life? If not, start making the calls and dropping the tapes or CD's...

Frank F
BBeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping a "radio life" is just a stepping stone for bigger and better things. I was really thinking of just doing freelance commercial work for other stations in town. Exploring all possibilities of marketing myself.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy that is making great money just being a fill-in for the production people they can't keep at our local Cumulus station. Every time they try to work someone to death for minimum wage and they quit, he gets a call. <g>
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting approach Bill, I'll have to give that a shot. thanks for the tip
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Cumulus or Clear Channel station these days. Here in Dusty Gulch there are ten radio stations. Clear Channel owns 6 station cluster, Cumulus the other four. Seems to me where ever you send a demo you'd be conflicting somebody's interest. Besides, if they aren't using off-shore voice trackers, then the two or three in-house jocks do most of the commercial VO work.
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Same goes for here in T-Town. It's either CC or Cumulus. Maybe one or two independents..could try for them. In the meantime I'll stay here at CC and develop my production skills for future endeavors
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking of doing freelance voicing (not voice tracking), then really, it's just a matter of sending a voice demo, just like any other situation. Although most stations use their in-house gang, I've noticed some will actually spend the big $10 and go for an outside voice. I don't know that I'd send a demo to PD's. Try the Creative Dir., Production Dir. or even better, the Sales Mgr. - so they have something else to offer their clients. (Their own 'custom' voice). Then you swing a deal with the client to be their voice. If you can voice from home (or sneak in your current station's studios - be careful here), the other station's sales folks will like it as their client is happy with their 'custom voice' without having to take whoever local radio announcer happens to walk by the production room on any given day- and who cares what station they book. That's THEIR business, unless you're endorsing their product or service, obviously. Clients LOVE personal attention. And a happy client = a happy sales person who starts to see $$$ for more work. (Get a sales rep to work with you on the side?) For that matter, if you don't have your own setup, check with an local studios - including 'dude in the garage, recording bands' as he'll probably take $25 to record your voice into his Pro Tools that Mom & Dad shelled out $10,000 for. That way, you have Nothing to do with your station, so it's none of their business - unless there's something in your contract or agreement.

You can be sneaky and send the client a voiceover demo. Just listen to which clients are heavy on radio spots, getting just 'whoever' voicing their spots. Though, I'd suggest detaching yourself from your station, and approach it as a side business in that case. Or any case.

Loyalty in radio ?? Ooops, I've spilled my beer laughing!
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After re-reading your post, if you meant producing - as opposed to voicing, then the same would apply. A client having their very own 'producer'? Hell yeah. I do that now (along with teaching) and some of my clients I have dragged from my last radio gig (6 years ago?) are still with me. Much 'funner' than pounding out 20 spots, splitters, cassette dubs for a client's daughter's wedding, etc. every day. A home computer, CD recorder, decent internet connection, any one of dozens of multi-track programs, and you're on your way. Try to find out who, locally, distributes prod music and give them a call. (my contact gave me a free library, and I just pay when / if the produced piece gets aired - which I bill back to the client.) As for the voicing portion, I just rent any number of local cheap studios that have a Neumann or equivalent, for $25 hr. (A 3 spot campaign is going to take 20 minutes with someone who knows what they're doing.) So why invest in a 'home studio' at this time? ALthough you can do that fairly cheaply as well - but mics can be expensive. Besides, I don't want people coming into my place, nor do I want 'acoustic tile' on my ceilings. As for voices, I'm sure you know many who are good and would jump at the chance to do 'freelance' work - then you can offer them $20 and see us ranting about you on this board! See how easy it is?

Just don't expect that paycheque every 2 weeks - so don't quit your day job yet!
BBeen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point in my VO "career" I am happy just to be a freelance voice. Voice-tracking is an option later, but still need to improve skills there, matter of fact still need to improve freelance voice skills as well. Production...now there is an interesting option. At this time I just want to be able to know the basics so i can have that knowledge under my belt. I know plenty of studio people and producers who i can go to when i need to. Home studio set-up to come mabe within the next year or so?? One of my studio "guys" has a Neumann U87 just itching for my voice Smile

Radio is just part time for now, allows access to facilities and a great learning environment. I also have a regular 9-5 to pay the bills and buy my wife expensive vending machine jewelry(sp?)

Demos going out like wild fire...What is the appropriate amount of time to follow up after a demo has been mailed? And I always prequalify my contacts first.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Demos going out like wild fire...What is the appropriate amount of time to follow up after a demo has been mailed? And I always prequalify my contacts first.

If I have called or written someone and they request a CD, I give them two weeks before contacting them again, and I say that I want to confirm receipt (rather than say, didja listen?). If I email an mp3 unsolicited, I give them a month if I haven't heard from them. And if I don't hear from them then, I give them another month. Not hearing from people means nothing, so don't agonise over that. A few days ago I heard from a producer I had contacted in January. I sent a followup in Feb and another in March, it was almost time for the next followup and I got an email, here's the script, can you do this for me by tomorrow. Not an audition, a gig. So you never know.

Good luck and have fun-- sounds like things are happening for you.
BBeen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mary. I had a producer e-mail me back just the other day saying "enjoyed my spots and would file it as one of the best he's heard". I took that as a positive. Any thoughts on the pre-qualifing thing, I seem to get kind of nervous right before I make that first call?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started making calls, I got pretty nervous too, so I would type out a script in case my mind went blank (just remember not to sound like you're reading!). I got a lot less nervous the more calls I made, and stopped using the script crutch. Now most of my contacts are by email and I save the calls for when I can't find an email address or when I know I'm going to have to wade through a lot of people to get to the person I need to reach. I have a long list of such calls to make next week.

Everybody's different, and probably some people on this board use the telephone a lot more than I do. The telephone is a great opportunity to use your voice, and half the time you'll probably get voice mail and there's another opportunity--maybe even a better one than if you talk to a human (so make doubly sure you know exactly what you're going to say). I suspect I would have more clients right now if I used the telephone more because it's a more "up close & personal" connection than email, which is easy to delete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: