VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to kick (or at least curb) a cold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: How to kick (or at least curb) a cold Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna say tea and whiskey, old pal.

Get Jameson's 12-year-old Irish.
Then you'll know what they drink in heaven.

Expensive?
Hellz yeah, but no more so than a visit to the doctor-- and who needs that when you have Doctor Jameson?

In all seriousness-- get some zinc mouth spray.
The zinc nose spray works, too- -but I've heard of the possibility of a bad effect on your sense of smell if you use it too much.

ZINC!
Give those cold symptoms the smackdown.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who is an "Ear Nose and Throat" doctor told me to sniff warm salt water. He says twice a day, but I don't go that far.
Take about 6 oz of warm water and add a teaspoon of salt. Stir. Cup your hand and pour some in it. Sniff the salt water. You'll cough and gag but you'd be amazed at how much it helps. The other thing he suggested is exercise. Running really helps. It speeds up your metabolism and makes your blood circulate faster which can give temporary relief. Of course, if you're running a fever, don't do this.

Come to think of it, I'm going with the Jameson's 12-year-old Irish too.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Bill Elder, I always take black elderberry syrup when I have a cold.

I have missed you Bill. And where the heck is PJHawke? And Anita? and Nick Reed? and...

No, I will not hijack another thread, I will not. Despite having a reputation to live up to (thanks D Sticking out Tongue )

From the vo-bb archives on cold remedies:

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1039

Last edited by mcm on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Usually I would not post this ... Reply with quote

I can't tell you the last time I've been sick. Of all things, I landed on some information from a friend (who got it from looking into someone's grocery cart while shopping) shortly after she found out she had breast cancer. If you're not into or do not believe in alternative medince, please stop reading and move on, otherwise check this out.... The book is The Cure for All Diseases.

Dr. Hulda Clark. Her approach is essentially everything that makes us sick is caused by a pollutant or a parasite. Once in our body, their toxins wreak havoc. Examples she sites are those of us with metals in our mouth. Apparently, over years, the metal releases toxins into your body which the liver can not fully flush. She also mentions the effects of pets and the parasites they carry naturally which, when living in a human host, release toxins we can not handle effectively.

What's interesting about her approach is that she found each of these parasites emits a radio frequency, if you zero in on that frequency and create the inverse, it destroyed the parasite.... like an opera singer and a wine glass. She eventually developed a device that sweeps through the frequencies in which these things live and zaps them dead, hence the name "The Zapper."

You'll see a lot of info from medical doctors calling her a quack if you look on the internet and admittedly, while I believe her documentation online is a bit tabloid, I've been healthy after leaving a room full of sick people, doesn't even bother me anymore.

-g
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works. . . .
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take two or three Emergen C packets a day and do a bit of mental work ("I cannot have a cold right now. I don't need it and don't want it." Repeat as needed.) It works 9 times out of 10 for me.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always....ALWAYS at the first sign of a cold or other respiratory illness, start taking liquid Echinacea-Goldenseal and By the next day or day after I am already nearly recovered. The stuff REALLY works. I've done this many times and it has worked everytime, healing me before whatever it is gets a chance to take hold. Amazing stuff.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Gp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that both "Zantac's Herbal Ensure" (Echinacia and Goldenseal) and "Zicam" are amazing. There is also another new one out there and if I can remember the name I'll post it.
You can overdue the echninacia and goldenseal so be careful.
Don Hammock
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I take two or three Emergen C packets a day and do a bit of mental work ("I cannot have a cold right now. I don't need it and don't want it." Repeat as needed.) It works 9 times out of 10 for me.

Here's a SLIGHTLY different remedy- " I CAAAN have the Jameson's
RIGHT NOW ! I NEED it AAAND I WANT it !!!! And try 9 to 10 times a day, at LEAST for the first week ![/quote]
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinc - it's what's good for dinner...

I agree with DB, get the throat spray - it works.

Toodles

Frank F

...and a litle coffee with your Bailey's...
Gp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Bruce. The mind is a very powerful tool. However, your mind can't focus on the reverse of an idea....e.g. you tell the kids "don't slam the door" and it's exactly what they do.
In other words, focus on what you want rather than what you dont want. If you tell yourself you don't want any more low paying, shouting 45 secs of copy into 30secs auto ads....the only thing your mind has to think about 'is.....low paying screaming.....etc. So focus on.....I only get well paying jobs that are presented calmly and have copy to match the time. Now the mind knows what you want and will help you get it.
So, you would say.....I am healthy and getting healthier by the minute. I want to remain healthy and free from colds.
Is this a cure all? absolutely NOT. It's just a better way to help you help yourself. This is what is taught in courses like Dale Carnagie and Zig Ziglar and Denis Waitley. (I used teach these courses)
Good luck and use a good kleenex with lotion built in.....saves the nose. If none of this works look for someone wanting to do a cold and flu season spot?
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just bought some Fenugreek - actually the product is called Fenu-Thyme - I think by Nature's Way. It's supposed to dry up the the sinuses which I need done NOW.

I also use Zinc lozenges - hate the taste. Have never heard of the mouth or nose spray before. Can't imagine what something that tastes so awful would do to your nose.
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for Cold-Eeze zinc lozenges. I came down with a cold on a Monday & had a big event scheduled the following Friday. I followed the directions & the symptoms were gone in 4 days. I didn't cough or even need a tissue the whole evening that Friday.

Now, I know that's not super fast...but for me, a cold usually lasts a full week, with residual hoarseness/coughing/nose blowing for another few days. You do have to continually ingest those lozenges; I'm told the cold will get worse if you stop too soon.

After a few days, you will be tired of them...but it's worth it. Oh, and by all means, get more sleep that week...that will speed things up immensely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: