VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8.1 Debacle...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Windows 8.1 Debacle... Reply with quote

You guys are gonna love this.

I posted a thread in the gear section wanting to know of any known conflicts with older software on Windows 8. Or 8.1. Well I guess I will never find out. I set up my new computer Sunday evening. Upon setting it up you are asked to enter a new email address and password in order to finalize the setup. Done. Wrote it all down and such. Spent maybe 2 hours poking around to get a feel for it. Not impressed.

So last night I’m going to play around with it some more. Email; check. Password…. Doesn’t match their records. Ok. How about this one? No. Ok. Then this one. It has to be. No. I click ‘forgot password’…

Here’s where it gets good.

A note pops up, ‘to change your password go to xxx url online to do this’…. Really? I can’t even get past this screen to go to the web.

Luckily I have other ways to get there. So I go to another computer, type in the url. It asks for my email and password for the account… I don’t have the password. Again, ‘change password’. It gives me an option to enter my 7 digit security code. I didn’t get a security code when I set it up. So I click ‘don’t have one.’ Back to the previous screen. The option of ‘I no longer use these email addresses’ is there. So I click it. Then I am asked to fill out a form with every possible form of info there is to set up a new account. Including the subject lines of the last 3 emails I sent from the account, plus… previous passwords. Hello. I didn’t even get a chance to send any email from it, or change passwords. It was a new account. Also they needed my xbox live account number and credit card info. I don’t have an xbox and never had to enter a credit card. So I click ok with the limited info I had, all wasn’t required. Email is sent to a different email address of mine for pw change. It says… you didn’t give us enough information. You will need to resubmit a new form with more details…

O…M…G… Back to the original page. I try it again. Then it tells me that the account has been locked due to multiple attempts to access it, contact customer service here. I click the link. ‘Enter your email and password for your account’…. WHAT THE…. ?! Geez… I DON’T have the password. So I click ‘forgot password’ and…. Back the same form I was on….

I call customer service and after 10 minutes of menu options and such I get the IT department and I’m informed that the password can’t be reset over the phone you have to log in and do it online… I went over the edge. They didn’t even listen to a thing I said. If I didn’t have another computer to get on the internet to get the number, I wouldn’t even be talking to them . So.. I’m sorry we can’t do that here.

So how then?

Go to this xxx url and fill out the necessary information and you should be set.

I do. On that url?... “Please enter your email and password”…. H-O-L-Y Cow… Click ‘forgot password’ and get the original form for all of my vitals, yet again…

I am now to the point of popping in my Windows 7 software and wiping the piece of crap OS off of there. I know this is pretty much only a CYA for them and my privacy doesn’t really mean anything.

I usually wait for every other version of Windows to come out where the issues are gone, 98, XP, 7… I did it to myself this time.

You can eliminate the login screen, but guess what…? You have to log in to do it.

This would be funny. Well… In a way it is.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont' work. iOs and OSX get hacked, too.
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh

I know. That's what all my friends tell me. I am almost done with Windows.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where Windows is concerned... It's every other release... Ninja
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Star Trek movies.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
mac

So ... somebody surveyed MacMini. I discovered I'm three years behind releases (minimum), at all levels (O/S and ProTools). But, I want to get ipDTL and Chrome won't work with my OS rev. Got to install stuff. Ordered Snow Leopard ($19). Two day later in the mail comes it. PT up to 8.0.5 (one time to EOL revision). Like ... blink ... Damn! It works. End of story. Happy. Done.
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel as bad as HE does about it!

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2014/02/gates-spends-entire-first-day-back-in-office-trying-to-install-windows-81.html
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay John, It's good to see that I'm not alone on this.

This was really funny.

Laugh

I'm really looking into Mac stuff. I have a friend that uses nothing but, so we'll see where I end up.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try windows 8 instead of 8.1.
Also make sure you do manual updates and do not update to 8.1
-SOS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, clearing the cache will work for this kind of "unrecognized" password issue.

But, I ain't no expert.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread I am really glad I never upgraded to 8.1 on the new(ish) laptop.

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: