VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Windows 8 Reply with quote

Hey,

I had to end up getting a new laptop this weekend for use when I'm out traveling since Microsoft is stopping support for XP. It would have cost almost as much as a new one to upgrade my old one so I found an Asus for a really good deal. My old one was an HP Pavillion. Not sure how much I like Win 8 yet but I guess it takes getting used to along with everything else.

I'm still using Sound Forge 8 at this time as my main editor. Other than a slight registration issue involving Windows 8 with Sony, I can't find any issues on line with anyone having any other problems. This issue was related to Sony Vaio laptops I think it said. It seems to not recognize the registration after 30 days and then locks it out. Of course it will be a month before I find out. But..

I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with Win 8 and editing software, especially if it was older versions like mine. I also use Audition 3.0 depending on what I need to do. I would rather know now and fix it rather than get a surprise at a bad time.

Thanks!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious as to why so many people are concerned about Microsoft discontinuing support for Windows XP. I realize there won't be any more security updates, but it's not as if the OS is going to suddenly stop functioning on the day support ends. I have it on two machines and don't have any immediate plans to change. Or am I taking a risk I'm not aware of?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on whether hackers and virus creators want to send their time exploiting security flaws in antiquated systems that had a billion security updates. Personally, I'd say you're probably safer with the old system. You know it works, and will continue to work if you don't try to put newer software on it. Just don't use a new computer....it will make the old one seem like a snail, and then discontentment will set in.
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

My only concern is being out on the road and having to still connect to the internet. And the security fixes and such will be gone, at least from Microsoft's side, while 3rd party anti-virus will be updated for a little longer. I still can use the old laptop to work on, and it is slow compared to what I use here at home, but it does what I need it to do in a pinch when I'm out. It's just if I go out of town I didn't want to have to drag along a lot of extra stuff, or even two computers. Keeping it all in one package is a lot easier.

So I was just curious if anyone was using 8 and older software. I haven't loaded it just yet, as I don't want to have to go into the registry and fix what it changes in case it doesn't work at all. I don't really want to have to get the newest software yet, as I have to have the full-blown version of Sound Forge for what I do since I do a lot of production, and that's more money and I would rather wait on doing that if I can.

Thanks!
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormtrooper 7 wrote:

So I was just curious if anyone was using 8 and older software. I haven't loaded it just yet, as I don't want to have to go into the registry and fix what it changes in case it doesn't work at all. I don't really want to have to get the newest software yet, as I have to have the full-blown version of Sound Forge for what I do since I do a lot of production, and that's more money and I would rather wait on doing that if I can.

Thanks!

I bought a laptop with Win8 on it last October. I can't speak to using an old DAW on it (I use another computer for all my audio recording), but I can tell you that I loaded it up with ancient versions of Microsoft Office Suite (2007, I believe) and Adobe Acrobat 8 (2006), as well as a number of old XP-era games and whatnots. Not a single issue with any of them, I'm glad to report.

(we won't get into the several hours I spent learning how to bypass the Fisher-Price interface and set it up to use a proper desktop like the Good Lord intended for Windows machines to have)

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update to this. If you use an older version of Sound Forge with 8.1 it does not work. My version of Sound Forge, 8, needs net framework 1.1 to run it and it seems Win 8.1 uses something like 4.1. If you download the 1.1 there is a conflict and it freezes up. It will work for a little while, but the farther you go, the more it will lock up. Not sure if it would be the same issues with other DAW's or not. But just passing on, older SF programs don't work on it. At least not for me. Now I'm going to upgrade to 11. Something I needed to do anyway.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Source Connect it will have to be a newer version. SC folks say you have to upgrade if you are on old version Standard 3.1 ( think.)
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just updated (via new recording computer) but to Win 7 and went ahead and got Sound Forge 11. As for being unsupported, we are concerned about it since we have so many other computers running around here. If it gets a virus and then transfers it throughout the network then we are pretty screwed. Dan was in charge of making this call. After seeing his research I agree. He was even able to get his boss to get all new computers for their studios, too.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a slight change of heart on the subject of moving away from Windows XP. Originally, I was going to just stand pat, but my main computer is close to 15 years old, and even if I were to keep it, I need to add a hard drive because I'm pretty much maxed out on internal storage. I can buy a refurbished Dell with Win 7 and a 1 TB hard drive for $350 so I think that's my game plan.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, that is what happened here. By the time we realized how old the computer was and that the sound card was shot it was time to make some upgrades. Soooo much fun spending this much money before I finish the taxes. I wonder if Bon Bons would be a write off, too.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We updated to win 7 on many computers here,but still have XP on the render farm, which is not connected to the outside world.
Stormtrooper 7
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Windows 7 on all of my other machines (3) and the one I am using now is a monster, heavy duty processor, etc. It has an internal 750G hard drive and I use an external 1TB drive. The 1T is almost full and the 750 is three fourths there. (Yeah I have a LOT of files...) I usually have mine custom built because I need the processing speed. Except the new laptop I just got. It was a $750 Acer on sale for $350. No brainer. Down side? Windows 8.1.

My version of Sound Forge runs on all of the 7 machines with no conflicts with the net framework issue. I think I will leave XP on my old laptop just to have it for other things like some of the legacy games I have. I don't use Source Connect yet, but I'm sure in the future I will need to. So an upgrade to 11 is coming anyway. I think SF 8 is like circa 2006 or so anyway. I have all of these backups in place because one of my main jobs is doing the news every morning and I have a 3 hour window in the wee am hours to do it in. I can't be down. I have 3 backups ready so all I need to do is pull the one that went down out, and plug in the other and keep going. I can even do it without power, as long as I have cell service, and gas in my car.... I have done it there before. Just plug in the power inverter and off you go. Over the course of this job, I have lost a keyboard and an interface and computer, just replaced them and kept going. A bit of an investment, but unless something major happens, I always can be working. (and the places I have done it from.....)
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on Windows XP updates!!

You can have another year of XP updates for just $9 million!

Well the UK government will anyway. They're paying Microsoft that chunk of change to keep their XP software up to date because of the 800,000 Windows machines they own, 85% are still running on it. Penny wise and Pound foolish? May be.

Here's a link to an article about it and at the end of the page you'll see a link to a story about a company that will offer malware updates for your XP forever, for a small fee.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2337930/windows-xp-thrown-last-minute-lifeline-with-gbp55m-uk-government-deal

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Todd Ethridge
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also an XP hold out, but I just got off the phone with the local company that built my computer 5 years ago. I asked him if I should be worried still using XP and his response was:

"It would be like hanging fliers around your neighborhood, telling everyone you would be out of town next week and you are leaving your doors unlocked. Hackers are going to have a field day. They know where the flaws in XP are and will begin exploiting them now."

I had already planned on buying a new computer and running windows 7, so this just made me decide to do it now. Smile
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear tactics, nice... 95% of ATMs run Windows XP.
I recommend using Classic Shell to bring back the familiar Start Menu in Windows 8. Makes you feel normal again. I've had to work with several Win8 users lately and they were so happy when I installed that.
Microsoft, for better for worse, extends legacy software report farrrr back, so those running Cool Edit can still probably run it. Hardware drivers are another issue entirely, so beware before just buying a new Win8 PC because it seems cheaper than upgrading your existing system.
Apple draws a line and cuts of legacy software/hardware without batting an eye, because it encourages sales of new equipment. Why do you think they give Mavericks away for free and Apple software is cheaper than ever?
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: