VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Awesome vo tools from costco

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Awesome vo tools from costco Reply with quote

I have an external hard drive that I keep my ever-growing VO archive stored on, but it was loud enough to be heard in recordings (it was really a temporary solution until I stopped being lazy and bought a new HD). So, I finally decided to go HD shopping, and found a killer deal at Costco right now. They have 1TB "portable" external drives there for only $60. The thing is practically silent, (I have it in the booth with me and it doesn't affect my noise floor), and it's tiny enough that I could take it with me on a trip.

Just thought I'd pass on the find. I almost got a few of them...but then I realized that they will be $10 in 6 months anyway. I don't think memory will ever be something that is worth stockpiling Smile
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Cost of memory Reply with quote

Interesting thought about the cost of memory dropping.

When I lived in California I met a man who started a business in the 60's. He told me about when he bought 64K of memory and it cost him over 100,000 dollars!

Those were the days when programmers could not waste a byte. "The times they are a changing".

Mac

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome vo tools from costco Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
found a killer deal at Costco right now. They have 1TB "portable" external drives there for only $60. Just thought I'd pass on the find.

Just checked at costco.com and the cheapest was (is) $84.99. Was that an in-store purchase?

Thanks for the tip.

Dave
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got (another) 3tb seagate from newegg - $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178110

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that was in-store. Sorry to not clarify. They also had a 4TB on sale for $150, but I wanted the smaller size for portability and (my perceived) less noise. The tag said "Manufacturer's Rebate," so I just assumed that it would be available everywhere.
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Sounds like time to visit Costco Reply with quote

Thanks!

Dave
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of memory Reply with quote

FinMac wrote:

When I lived in California I met a man who started a business in the 60's. He told me about when he bought 64K of memory and it cost him over 100,000 dollars!

Those were the days when programmers could not waste a byte. "The times they are a changing".

1960s? We're talking main-frame memory, right? In the 80s I ran a refurbed, hot-rodded IBM 370 and our disk drives were each 100 MB. And you took them out in something looked like what you would use to carry a cake to a family gathering. And my machine had SIX of them!

Yes, that was an era when every byte was precious. When the PC came along and do-it-yourself programming was the macho entertainment of the era... do you ever do any "bit-fiddling". Hurts to think about it. But it was great bragging rights.

If we had digital audio available back then, think what our hardware would have been like! A home studio would have filled a four-car garage.
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the favorite things I own is my Synology DSJ211.

It's a network storage drive that mirrors it self on 2 HD's.

The drive in windows explorer (or mac) looks like 1 drive but it mirrors to a 2nd HD so you don't ever have to worry about backing anything up. Save you file and it puts it on both drives, if that makes sense. It plugs into my router so it's accessible from every computer I have and I have two-2TB drives in it, one backing the other up. The other cool thing is I can access it from any internet connection which is handy when you are out of town and need a music bed or to refrence a previous job.

Just another option if you use multiple computers and don't like the backup software.

DC
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Synology network drives. I'm looking for Raid 1 and for some reason I'm wary of the Drobo's. Any downside to the Synology?
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the same Diskstation at Edge 2 months ago, flawless so far. I have all of the studio Macs Chronosync their audio folders to it each night.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget what the different RAID #'s mean but mine just mirrors the drives.

I couldn't figure out how to link my new Mac to it (it's been set up for PC) but I didn't try very hard because I was going to put Windows 7 on it anyway.

The music streaming feature was hard to figure out but I don't use it.

Other than that it's been flawless for a storage drive that backs itself up.

Let me know if you have any other questions about them. I'm surprised they aren't more popular when you consider the benifits of a NAS.
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of memory Reply with quote

This is sort of tangential to the thread, but it is about memory and noisiness: has anyone had any experience with the SSD drive MacBook Pros? My understanding is they are quiet as a dream and can live in relatively close proximity to your microphone. But I've also heard that SSD memory doesn't stand up to as much writing and rewriting as plain old hard drives.

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly doubt that for our uses that would be an issue. One thing to keep in mind. Most of the noise from a MBP (or most laptops) is from the cooling fan, not the hard drive. Putting a SSD in a MacBook is good...but won't make it quiet enough to be in the same room effectively while you're recording without taking drastic measures to mitigate the fan noise.
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cost of memory Reply with quote

Foog wrote:
But I've also heard that SSD memory doesn't stand up to as much writing and rewriting as plain old hard drives.

Your comment made me curious. Here's an interesting article about SSD memory longevity. I would say, like any drive (hard or solid state) it's a good idea to do a regular backup.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043634/how-to-stretch-the-life-of-your-ssd-storage.html
Foog
DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
I honestly doubt that for our uses that would be an issue. One thing to keep in mind. Most of the noise from a MBP (or most laptops) is from the cooling fan, not the hard drive. Putting a SSD in a MacBook is good...but won't make it quiet enough to be in the same room effectively while you're recording without taking drastic measures to mitigate the fan noise.
Ahhhh! But there's the rub. Without a hard drive being written to and read from all the time, you do not have this big moving part heating up constantly. My utterly uneducated and unresearched opinion is that this should necessitate the fan kicking in far less often, resulting in a much quieter machine. (maybe it's just wishful thinking. My high tech solution for my current rig when recording is to stick it under the table, and I was hoping to avoid that with my next computer Laugh )

cheers,
Andrew Fogarasi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: