VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Center
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Studio Center Reply with quote

Anyone have any opinions on the exclusive nature of their contracts? Seems pretty harsh to limit yourself to one income source but it must work for folks... or people wouldn't do it.

I was breaking down the numbers.... 14,000 jobs annually. 300 talent on the roster. That would be under 50 jobs per year. Some talent obviously with more and others with less.

I'd imagine with their roster set-up 1/2 union, 1/2 non-union that they've got higher turnover on the non-union side and most of the union members make up the bigger earners. Thoughts?
CWToo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I've been on the Studio Center roster since 1979 (I was an embryo).
2. Your math skill are good, but the application of the figures is somewhat off.

As with anything, the 80/20 rule applies: 20 percent of the talent gets 80 percent of the work (this figure actually applies to EVERYTHING. 20 percent of your clients give you 80 percent of your work, 20 percent of your cable channels provide 80 percent of what you watch). The point is that averaging the amount work over the entire roster doesn't tell the story. There are some who get a couple of jobs a year. The guy who naturally sounds like an elf and can't do anything else comes to mind.

I do OK, and I'm a self-described mid-level talent. There are some non-union members who are making over six figures. Probably some of the union talent as well, but I don't know for sure. Here in Norfolk, er, Virginia Beach (the studio just moved to a larger facility there) there are a lot of folks making a decent living from Studio Center. You would be surprised to see the number of late model luxury cars in the parking lot (and one 1997 Chevy Tahoe belonging to guess who).

Studio Center does all the marketing and a casting director calls you with your session times (I have one in an hour, so this muddy verbal flow will be cut short) and, most importantly, they handle the billing and collections. Plus, we get paid on the 20th of the following month for our work EVEN IF STUDIO CENTER DOESN'T GET PAID.

Want more info? Contact me and I'll pass your demo on to them. Why contact me? Because if you get on the roster, I get a finders fee.

Last edited by CWToo on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, Wow!

Thanks for the info/clarification. Makes alot of sense and sounds like a well run operation.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studio Center has been very good to me, but I've got a non-exclusive contract.
Perhaps it's because I'm on their union roster.

They're not an easy group to get into as far as my experience goes. Took me several years.
CWToo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Studio Center has been very good to me, but I've got a non-exclusive contract.
Perhaps it's because I'm on their union roster.

Good to hear. The exclusivity that SC wants for non-union talent can be a drawback for some.

Quote:
They're not an easy group to get into as far as my experience goes. Took me several years.

There is more to it than being good. If you sound just like someone else on the roster (if you sound like me, I pity you) they will put you in back-burnersville because representing several people who sound identical just means they have too much inventory. Sometimes a very talented person shows up but for some reason he may not be marketable (see my previous post regarding the elf). Or the talent has too many issues (won't do liquor spots, gaming, Republicans, Democrats, whatever) which makes them hard to market.

Repping union talent had been an approach/avoidence thing with the previous management for many years. They did it, then retreated, tried again, then retreated... when the company got new owners that changed. Buying a studio in Hollywood helped, too.
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see if Studio Center would be interested in having you on their roster AND you want to see me pick up a finders fee for tipping them off about you, send me your demo CD:

Chris White, Voice Pimp
502 Burleigh Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23505

If you think I already make too much money (you're delusional) and want to send your demo directly to Studio Center, send it to:

Katie
Studio Center Corporation
161 Business Park Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

If you mention my name, I still just might get that finders fee...
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you send that demo to Chris -

My understanding is that you have to have ISDN.

My inferred understanding also is that even if you sign an exclusivity contract, it isn't a lifetime commitment, but I don't know if there is a term - I would think if you already had ISDN there would be no reason not to try it, after you figure out how much money you would have to make in a month or a week or whatever in order to make it worthwhile to maintain exclusivity with SC.
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
My understanding is that you have to have ISDN.

Or live in or near Hampton Roads (southern Virginia), Memphis, Las Vegas or LA.

Remember: I have absolutely no say in who gets selected, I am just passing your CD along.

And don't worry too much about exclusivity, ISDN or anything else because chances are you won't be picked up. If you are, well those are issues you can face at that time and some things are negotiable.

Speaking of ISDN, Ty Ford (a busy union voice over guy who happens to be with SC) has just dropped his ISDN service because virtually none of his clients use it anymore. Interesting, eh?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC called me last year and said they "really like my voice" and asked if I had ISDN. I didn't so I wasn't able to pursue it. Is ISDN now one of the negotiable bits?

Not that I would automatically be considered again. Things change fast out there in the world. Also, I suppose the fact that they liked my voice doesn't mean I would have been signed even if I did have ISDN. I tell myself it does, because nobody has been contradicting me here at MCM Voices Smile
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
SC called me last year and said they "really like my voice" and asked if I had ISDN. I didn't so I wasn't able to pursue it. Is ISDN now one of the negotiable bits?

Technology keeps changing... ISDN , the Pro Tools Internet plug-in, Frank's Voice-Over-Over-Internet thing, who knows which way the wind is really blowing? If they really, really want you they'll give you the ranch. Or at least the keys so you can use it on weekends.

There is another production house in Norfolk (EarWorks) that won't bother returning your call unless you have ISDN. But ISDN seems to be fading in popularity. My guess is that it'll nothin' but net fairly soon.

Don't forget that I also predicted Pink Lady with Jeff was going to be a hit, too.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh-oh, here we go again. ISDN is dead! No, it's not. Yes it is! Tastes great! Less filling! You got your peanut butter in my chocolate...

I wish ISDN would make up its mind and either die, or get well and live. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify something: ISDN Codecs are not dead - yet.

Although they seem to be suffering a slow agaonizing injury and are bleeding profusely since the advent of DSL, cable and other broadband services.

The trend is to get away from the hassles of dedicated wire-lines in favor of IP directives which include VOIP, VPN's, WiSIP, wireless, and satellite services. Until such time as the complete switch is made - the ISDN codec will not die - they WILL fade-from-view however.

Manufacturers such as Telos, Musicam, APT, Comrex, and a myriad of others have already switched their emphasis toward IP codecs. With that concept in mind, manufacturers are also charging a premium price for this "new techology". There are several compnaies including my own which are gearing toward the IP ONLY codec.

The change to a new idea will NOT take place overnight, nor should it. ISDN codecs are a valuable tool in-use by many people worldwide - but like any other tool it needs to be upgraded or "honed" to be useful. ISDN Codecs have not changed much in the more than 25 years of their existance - so what is coming should be of NO surprise to anyone.

The two main factors regarding the future of ISDN codecs are 1) Cost; and 2) Availablity of ISDN lines.

Studio Center and other groups which require ISDN codecs for their "talent" will find they will have better use of their resources by accepting the change early. If they do not, they will be like the BIG carnivorous dinosaur - extinct. That - is my prediction.

This is not the place to discuss the merits of iSpeek over or under any other future or potential ISDN/IP codec - so I won't.

Toodles.

Frank F

Blue = edit (partially for MCM - see below)

Last edited by Frank F on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Okay, but for the record, dinosaurs are not extinct. There's at least 9,000 species left. And they all have feathers these days.]
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hells bells-- one specie of dinosaur lives all across New England!

it's a Nobodysaurus.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[species is plural and singular]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: