VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you remember when....??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first real job in media was as a graphic artist in a TV station in Iowa (WMT). I set type in a hot press and printed out names for the newscasts. We shot them for lower third projection with a small camera on a curved board.

I got promoted into full-time production and we also used the old black "sandwich boards" with the white letters to list all the numbers for the farm report.

Two sets of about 4 boards each which had hog, corn, soy prices on them. We had two cameras and two people. One camera would whip around and focus on the first board. That camera op would run around to the back of the table and be ready to pull the boards one by one. The other camera op waited for the director to get onto the first board and then whipped the other camera around to frame up on the second board. Then that camera op would zip from one camera to the other nudging the focus and the framing as the director cut from board to board.

One day my headset cable got caught on the pan handle of the camera and the viewing audience got a great view of the control room, the Max and Mombo set and the Farm reporter before I was able to get things under control again.

Then we got a character generator. And the heavens opened, beautiful music played and all was right with the world.
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first job out of high school was running programs on an IBM mainframe on a swing shift. 10 MEG platters that looked like a layer cake. The hard drive itself was the size of a small floor standing freezer.

My file names were saved on punch cards. Trays and trays of them. Lol

The BIG RED Oh Crap button physically pulled wires out of a socket.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw this in to see who catches it...

Modifying old "step" equipment because Ma Bell wanted to squeeze every dime out of their investments.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott: WOW! Someone else familiar with multi-image shows! The company I worked for started with AVL's second programmer, the ShowPro V, the first programmer capable of syncing 15 projectors (five sets of three). AVL's first programmer, the ShowPro III (pictured below), could sync 9 projectors (three sets of three). The ShowPro V looked just like the ShowPro III, only a bit wider, with more buttons. From the ShowPro V, we went to the first incarnation of the Eagle and then, several years later, went to the Roadrunner (still with 15 projectors). We processed our own Ektachrome in-house and, yes, used #2 Wess glass slide mounts. (The film, anchored on pegs to ensure proper position, was sandwiched between two thin layers of glass to maintain sharp focus.)

In case anyone's intrigued, these systems (again, they utilized 35mm slides) – depending on how the producers conceived their vision and planned photography – could produce some spectacular screen effects, even animation. For the company I worked for, multi-image shows bridged the gap between single-projector shows (aka 'klunkers'), or even two- or three-projector dissolves and the later addition and ultimate shift to video.

This photo (not my company) was taken behind the screen at a 1987 model launch for Ford Motor Company in Detroit. The two Eagle programmers in the foreground were paired to control what could have been 60 slide projectors and a few other devices. As Scott mentioned, the cues that triggered everything (and was similar to SMPTE time code) was on one track of a 4-track audio tape, with the sound track occupying two tracks.

Last edited by Mike Harrison on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
Modifying old "step" equipment because Ma Bell wanted to squeeze every dime out of their investments.

The workings behind the telephone dial, before being replaced by DTMF (touch-tone)?

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the original intention of this discussion, but I think we are beginning to identify the guys who clapped the chalk dust out of the erasers in grammar school. cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the sound of feedback in the production room with you didn't pot down the receiving cart deck.
. . . and the smell of cigarettes in the acoustic tiles and drapes.
And having to rotary-dial the meter to get remote readings.

Hey Jim— I was on the test board in LA at the time of the ESS "cutover".
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:
I think we are beginning to identify the guys who clapped the chalk dust out of the erasers in grammar school. cool

{cough}

Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey: step offices, couldn't handle touch tone. I remember them well. Still had a bunch of them operating even into the mid 80's or so. There was another c.o. in between step offices and ESS (electronic switching systems). Was it Crossbar?

Mike: I STARTED on a Show-Pro III! Then we moved up to Eagle and then the Genesis. We also had a little Travler III if you remember those. Ran off a cued cassette tape that you had to use a special Tascam 133 to record onto.

I did everything from 2-projector shows up to 21-projector. And Mike, do you remember the Assoc for Multi-Image? AMI? I was president of the Alabama chapter for a while and we won a number of Gold and Silver awards at the Southeastern and International Conferences. I still have the awards, all dust-covered on my bookshelf here.

www.voicebyscott.com
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:

. . . and the smell of cigarettes in the acoustic tiles and drapes.

Oh Gawd, yes. And me a non-smoker.

www.voicebyscott.com
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the run-up to deregulation, I worked as a hired gun of programming, flying in to remake newly acquired stations in the image of the brand...

I remember one particular acquisition, a free-form album rocker, where the carpet and acoustical tiles reeked of years of not cigarettes.... But marijuana. Wink

The new gm was a real straight arrow.... So shocked and outraged, that he immediately leased another building and had a team of engineers flown in from corporate for an emergency build-out. Laugh
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyclometh wrote:
I remember when paste-up artists used wax and x-acto knives. Wink

I did typesetting and paste-up at a local print shop for a couple summers during/after high school. I forget the name of the computer system they had, but I thought it was pretty slick at the time. It was an optical system that used the codes that we entered into the documents (which were saved on massive 10" floppies) to drive the exposure of the text onto an 8-inch wide strip of photographic paper that spooled inside a black box on the front of the machine and had to be taken to a different machine for developing. The characters were exposed on the paper by carefully flashing light through the character shapes printed on these thick quarter-circle "discs" that were spinning on a platter inside the printing portion of the machine. Each disc contained the full character set for a typeface on it, and only four such discs could be used in the machine at once. If we wanted the same font in both regular and bold, that took two spaces in the machine, so we had to be creative about which typefaces we used and how we combined them into a single document. We also had to keep these type discs immaculately clean. The slightest smudge or bit of lint would cause the exposure process to fail.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:

Me too! And that reminds me of my days as a typesetter.

Dude! Always nice to meet another typesetter. That was my first job in high school and after. I drove a Compugraphic optomechanical typesetter for years. Did pasteup, line art and even ran the darkroom for a while. Smile

Justin, it sounds like you used a similar system. The one I was working with used film strips with the typefaces and little carts that you plugged into the front to give the system the timing information to open the aperture and expose the letter on the page during the output.

I still love the smell of the various developing fluids, and I have a nice x-acto set in a box that I bought for my own personal use in 1987, because the print room monkeys always beat their blades up so badly I couldn't stand it. Laugh
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! After some digging, I think the machine that I used was the Compugraphic EditWriter 7500 (or some variant thereof). According to some info that I unearthed, that thing was released in 1977. I started working at the print shop between '87 and '89, so it was at least 10 years old at that point. Desktop publishing was just starting to kick in, but the folks who ran this shop were not exactly interested in keeping up with tech trends, even in their own field. I don't know how much longer they kept using that 7500 after I left, but I think they hung onto it for some time.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossbar I may have gotten into, but not ESS. I left... was told to leave... in mid 1973. Union problems. But I never forgot... tip ring sleeve...blue orange green brown slate... and 10 cord.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: