VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confusion about PC audio hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Confusion about PC audio hardware Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new here, so "Hi!" and all that Smile

So, I've been reading through some posts here, because I'm wanting to set up a little recording setup at my office.

Some of the things that are interesting to me are things like the Presonus Firebox...but I'm not sure I understand the Firewire part of the product...does it *replace* the soundcard? For instance do you just plug a mic into it, plug the Firewire into the computer, fire up your software and that's all there is to it? Or do you still need to go from one of the outs to a sound card?

Also, what are peoples' recs for a decent soundcard with "good" (1/4" or XLR) inputs?

And are there some PCs (Windows) that are known for being better at circuit isolation / low noise generation? I'm not really planning on buying a PC just for this at this point, but maybe at some point in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Lou
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

We use words like "audio interface" when talking about the Firebox, or the M-box etc. so that we don't feel so bad about dropping that much cash on a sound card. Wink

You said

Quote:
For instance do you just plug a mic into it, plug the Firewire into the computer, fire up your software and that's all there is to it?

Basically, yes it can be that simple.
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
Lou,

You said

Quote:
For instance do you just plug a mic into it, plug the Firewire into the computer, fire up your software and that's all there is to it?

Basically, yes it can be that simple.

Cool, thanks, but I guess I should ask..."should" it be that simple? Or would it be better to go out of something like the Firebox into a "good" sound card?

Thanks again,

Lou
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also have to get into the preferences section (or what have you) and select what your recording device and listening (monitoring) devices are. Otherwise, it may still be routed through your sound card. Firewire interface is really cool. Works well.

I have the Alesis Firewire soundboard and it works well for me. I has 100 Alesis effects, which I do not use, but are cool non the less. You can also take the board out for a live gig or any other purpose you would use a regular board (however) you have a built in effects processor. Very cool unit.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this Tascam TM-D1000 mixing / effects board that I bought for my girlfriend a number of years ago...I don't even really know how to use it. She was doing some local radio at the time and we were gonna experiment around with doing webcasts (which we never did).

I'm wondering if I should add that into the mix...anybody have one of those? Is it useful for anything related to recording auditions?
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not run into a sound card if you are using the Firepod.....You can run your mic into the unit (or a preamp first) and then the signal is sent digitally to your recording software via Analog to Digital converters. It should also be sent back to the Firepod via firewire for monitoring (headphones, speakers etc). I have a buddy that has the Firepod...it works really well.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
It should also be sent back to the Firepod via firewire for monitoring (headphones, speakers etc). I have a buddy that has the Firepod...it works really well.

Thanks a bunch...now the Firepod is different than the Firebox though...are they basically the same thing except the Firepod has a bunch more ins / outs?

Lou

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. The Firebox is the little brother to the Firepod. It IS your soundcard at that point.

The basic chain would be mic - Firebox - Computer (via firewire) and that's it and is good enough. That's how I set it up for my laptop.

I choose to be a bit more complicated with my studio rig however, going mic - tubepre - compressor - firebox - computer. But that's a personal choice as I prefer things with knobs and meters as opposed to doing all my processing in the computer.

Start with the basic setup. The firebox has a pretty decent preamp in it. Get a decent mic if you don't already have one and you are good to go. Just make sure your computer meets/exceeds the specs needed for the firebox, or whichever audio interface you choose. I made the mistake of going out and buying a bunch of gear (like my first pre and compressor) and have had mixed results, meaning some wasted money. Remember, above all else it's not about the gear. It's about you and your talent.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta jump in with Hart on this one. The Firebox is an excellent and simple box. I use it for my main audio interface in my studio and am also using it right now on vacation with my laptop to do work with. Definitely recommend it.

Russ
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks so much everybody...I really appreciate all the help! Ahhhh...always so nice to find a group of people online that's friendly and helpful Smile

Now I'm gonna do a search through the boards to see what people recommend for mics,

Lou

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: