VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Television station retainer, fee question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Television station retainer, fee question. Reply with quote

A television station in Portland,OR has just put me on retainer to do spots for them. The deal is I do the scripts they send me, they pay me $400/month. Not bad, and steady money coming in every month is always nice. My question, is this retainer fee in the ballpark? I guess it depends on the amount of work and how much that averages out to each month per spot, but I'm new to this and I don't know if this is the going rate. Can someone with more experience clue me in? Thanks, and happy weekend!

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit,

What is your usual rate for a spot? Take that amount and divide it by the $400.00 and see what you come up with.

In my situation the answer is less than one, but this may vary.

Once you have that figure, how many promos will you be doing a month for them? What are the time constraints involved, how fast a turn-around, will it be a scheduled session each week or is it more ad hoc?

There is more, but I will make it simple... remember, a "retainer" is a minimum amount to keep you tied to them on a monthly on-going basis. The "retainer" assumes you will be doing the minimum amount of work each month, that you have agreed to license your voice to them exclusively in that particular market for an agreed upon period of time involved (one month), and - if there is not enough work for that month - you get off easy, becuase you are still paid the minimum amount - mainly for the licensing of your voice overs and the exclusivity.

Anything above and beyond the amount of work stated in the retainer, is to be paid at a set rate of $ ???.??/item.

Also, note that a "retainer" is usually for a set period of time (i.e.: one month, one year, two years, etc.) at which time the amount and structure of the work would be re-negotiated.

Hope that helps.

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't take it, please give them my name.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Bill, thanks for reminding me... There is a fee which goes with the advice... My name at the top of the list if you choose not to takethe gig...

Bill's second...

FF
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

I'm sure they wouldn't want to offend you by offering less than your $400 a spot fee. And, you wouldn't want to anger your current clients when they find out you're working elsewhere for less. Laugh

I think the time change has gotten to me.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know, do you? It could be that I am a better negotiator... Or that I'm desperate, or that I'm just crazy, or...

O.K., it's the latter.

FF
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

Thanks for your help on this. I think this is more of a tryout, because it's only for 2 months. I'll see what amount of work comes in and what it averages out per spot and whether it's an exclusive, then we'll see what we're talkin'. I just did the first spot for them, a VERY fast :30, the first of many, many I hope.

And as for the fee........I make the best brownies on the planet. Would you like me to send you some? I'll send some to you too Bill, as a consolation prize.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitstern,

What a very kind offer. I love brownies, but what really I want you to do is "knock 'em off their feet' with your great work so this'll be a regular thing for you. Congratulations!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, again you took the words out of my mouth (...and the brownies too!).

Kit, make Bill a voice over prophet... make this a normal thing in your life.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: