VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contacting Production Companies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I have made thousands of cold calls, and the vast majority are received with a great attitude. I've only had maybe 2 of out thousands that have been upset with the call. From these calls, I made some great contacts with long-term clients. I personally think it is all about who you call, and how you present yourself. You aren't selling encyclopedias to someone who doesn't want them, you are revealing yourself as a useful resource to people who WANT to know you exist (if you are a good talent). Media producers (as far as I have seen) are always looking for good talent. You are just helping their search.

If you just email, it is easy to be ignored, and easy to get caught in a spam filter. I do both, but definitely don't think cold calls are bad. They are a long term investment on most cases though. I have only had 3 clients that needed something immediately. Most came back after 6 to 18 months. I always ask if I can add them to my newsletter when we talk. This makes sure they don't forget I exist in a year when they need me.
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
I always ask if I can add them to my newsletter when we talk. This makes sure they don't forget I exist in a year when they need me.

This is where I really see the e-mail "ice breaker" fall short. It's much easier to get verbal consent for a newsletter than it is via email. At the same time, I am only able to get through to a real person on the phone maybe 30% of the time and it always seems to take more time and energy to call rather than email. Just thinking out-loud. Thank you for your insight. Smile
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first few years I played the v.o. game, I mixed in a lot of "cold-calling", although actually never quite cold - it was "referral prospecting". Even a cold call had to have some sort of "connection" for me to make it.

Lately I have found that all too often, when I drill down and get to the nitty and gritty, it turns out that somebody in the shipping department has taken a few v.o. classes and the powers that be simply can't say no, or the producer, writer, owner is dong the v.o's or it's their brother, sister, husband, wife, niece or stepson.

I have however been able to meet and develop working relationships with a number of people via social media.

I also attend professional functions in the Bay Area and have sponsored open bars at events, etc.

In the past, when I did a lot of casting and producing, occasionally somebody would cold call me at just the right moment and may talk their way into a gig. That also happened to me a couple of times. But usually when you throw spaghetti at the wall, you just wind up having to clean it off.

I used to love when a voice talent would send me a demo and then call me a week or so later. It might go something like this:

Them: Did you get my demo?
Me: Yes
Them: Oh, er, um did you listen to it?
Me: Yes.
Them: Did you like it?
Me: Do you know who I am?
Me: Do you know what type of things I hire talent for?
Me: Why did you send me your demo?

To those of you who say you are picking up significant work cold-calling, my hat's off to you. I've worked with the best of them, and I don't see how it's done. But there's a lot that I see and hear on this old internet thing that I don't understand.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point JS. It is imperative that you research a company before you call. I always try to know what the company does, has done, and the name of the person that I'm looking for. I have had more than one occasion where I liked a specific video or commercial they did, mentioned it, sparked more discussion, and led to a decent relationship. I try all avenues I can find, and try to pursue each one with wisdom...though it doesn't always work out that way.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Huggins wrote:
I always ask if I can add them to my newsletter when we talk. This makes sure they don't forget I exist in a year when they need me.

Not to be snarky, but being realistic: How many of us just absolutely HATE spam? I have to wonder what happens to that newsletter? Honestly, how many of us have any time or interest in reading someone else's self-serving blogs, newsletters, etc (and Jason, please don't take this personally, because it's not intended that way). I just bet they say 'yes' to end the call and move on, and then that newsletter ends up in the spam filter. Maybe not, but I have to wonder.

I don't have one free second or interest in reading that stuff that people send out each month telling me all about the wonderful things they're doing. I seriously doubt clients have more time or interest than I do.

www.voicebyscott.com
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Pollak wrote:
Honestly, how many of us have any time or interest in reading someone else's self-serving blogs, newsletters, etc

Scott, I think that if you're going to send out marketing emails to keep yourself on people's radar, the right way to do it is to offer them something that you genuinely think may help them and not talk about you. This way, at a minimum you get the passive boost from them having seen your name in their inbox, and you may get some active appreciation for having offered them useful information. Either may lead to them remembering that they have a gig you might be right for. Or not, but at least you don't look selfish in the process.

Of course, this requires really knowing your audience, and there are probably only certain subsets of your client base that may be interested in a given topic. So it's not like you can send out some sort of brain-dead e-blast and expect the best results - at least, I don't think so.

When I eventually have a big enough client list, the above is the approach I intend to take. In the meantime, I've done some very individualized emailing and calling, both of which have been received fine. In the course of my discussion with one VO studio manager, though, he mentioned that direct introductory calls to a studio can come off "a little cold-call-y" and I had the impression that was not a positive in his mind. Although that being said, he was super nice and invited me to get back in touch anytime.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen, you may be right, and I don't think we're in a 100% right-or-wrong, black-or-white discussion here. Some things work for some people, some don't.

I DO believe (rightly or wrongly) that people - ALL of us - are too busy to sit and read, on a regular basis, all of the crap that comes to us.

Now if I'm a producer who uses voices, I may hear a voice I like, make note of it and file it away for future reference. But personally, if I get monthly or even quarterly newsletters from someone, I just ditch them. And I DO, with some regular 'newsletters' I get from other v/o folks, and even relatives who are in businesses such as Pampered Chef, etc. I am not interested and don't have the time. I simply can NOT help but believe that producers, whose backs are constantly against the deadline wall, really don't even look at generic marketing newsletters, blogs, etc. that purport to 'help' the client, but in reality are merely high-visibility marketing tools.

I'd enjoy hearing from clients or producers to get their perspective on it, and again.... this is my .02 worth, and we know what that's worth.

www.voicebyscott.com
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it's thought-provoking quotes, handy-dandy helpful hints, links to resources or outright promotion, it's a mind-boggling amount of stuff on the various social media sites. And in many cases, the originators repeat their messages and/or use an aHobo Tounge that automatically spits the stuff out every couple of minutes to "keep their name out there."

I picture what social media has become as the biggest container one can imagine, completely filled with those wind-up novelty chattering teeth.

It has become a deafening cacophony.

"Everybody's talkin' at me... I can't hear a word they're sayin'..." ©Fred Neil, 1966

Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, Mike, in my mind you just hit the nail on the head.

www.voicebyscott.com
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And everyone on this board does (or is trying to) make a living at it Smile Just find what works for ya, and evolve when necessary.

Marketing is marketing...it has a goal of keeping your brand in the clients or potential clients mind so that when their need becomes great enough to buy, you are the first brand they think of. A newsletter is just one way to do it. I personally don't think repeating others content is very effective, but I'm no marketing guru. I just know that every month since I started my newsletter, I've had past clients say, "Hey, you know what? I have something that you might be great for. " So, if I can reignite a relationship with one client every month, and become the answer to their need...it's worth it to me.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen Gosnell wrote:

Scott, I think that if you're going to send out marketing emails to keep yourself on people's radar, the right way to do it is to offer them something that you genuinely think may help them and not talk about you. This way, at a minimum you get the passive boost from them having seen your name in their inbox, and you may get some active appreciation for having offered them useful information. Either may lead to them remembering that they have a gig you might be right for. Or not, but at least you don't look selfish in the process.

Yes, this, exactly. Wink

And say what you will about a "deafening cacophony" and clients who trash emails from talent
without even reading them, (and that certainly does happen) but well-written, well thought-out
and well-targeted emails can work wonders.

As an example, my last email blast had a 48.8% open rate. Not too shabby, I'd say.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well-written, well thought-out and well-targeted

This. +1000.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so what, if half the people throw them into the trash, unread. What are they going to do, send a hit man after you? Gasp
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this is good food for thought, and a nearly 50% 'open' rate sounds good.

My question is: How much of this leads to work?
I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Certainly anything that DOES lead to a job is good.
I guess the bottom line is: what types of marketing are the MOST effective and best use of our time?

For me, cold-calling sure ain't it.

www.voicebyscott.com
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say that I'm really NOT trying to sound snarky with these answers, but I know that they might be perceived that way. Hence the disclaimer.

Scott Pollak wrote:

How much of this leads to work?

All of it. In varying degrees, certainly, but since NOT doing it leads to NO work, I'll take my chances.

Scott Pollak wrote:

...what types of marketing are the MOST effective and best use of our time?

The honest answer is: the ones that're most effective for you. And the ones that you'll do. You'll get a different answer from everyone you ask. It depends on tons of things (many of which are unquantifiable). Clients in your niche may prefer one form of communication over another. Maybe you're not a great writer. Maybe you really enjoy cold-calling. Maybe you've cultivated a mailing list over the years, of people who respond well to postcard mailings, maybe you're a great blogger whose posts earn you great Google juice, maybe you're a social media hound who gets loads of business there (I have yet to meet this person, btw), etc., etc.

So:

Find what works for you.

Do it.

Rinse and repeat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: