VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Room (NOT an Iso-Booth)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
I would take credit...but Mr. Christi was the mastermind.

But we ARE both amazingly good looking redheads, so it would be easy to confuse us. :bitchin:
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Calling all sound doctors Reply with quote

Regarding the vocal booth made of doors, does it compromise sound absorption if you put wheels/casters on the base of the doors,(versus having the doors flush with the carpet on the floor) and is some sort of ceiling with acoustic foam necessary or preferable?

I know each room is different, but I mean in a general sense would these two items(or lack of them) make a significant difference in sound absorption?

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever heard of 'Gobo's?

they might be just what yu are looking for, and they are easy to create...

see: http://www.primacoustic.com/freeport.htm

A little creativity can work wonders... well creativity, a little foam, some PVC pipe, a little plywood, some basic fabric, and there you have it... a gobo..

Toodles

F2 (squared)
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Have you ever heard of 'Gobo's?

they might be just what yu are looking for, and they are easy to create...

see: http://www.primacoustic.com/freeport.htm

A little creativity can work wonders... well creativity, a little foam, some PVC pipe, a little plywood, some basic fabric, and there you have it... a gobo..

Frank and Ron,

There's also this thread from here on the VO-BB.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really had in mind is the vocal booth made of doors made famous in this Dave Christi thread:

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1604&highlight=isobooth

....mainly because I can do it for about $300, but I am still wondering if having casters on the base would compromise sound absorption since the doors wouldn't be flush with the carpet and if some sort of ceiling would be a good idea with this contraption...I appreciate the Primacoustics/Gobo link, but since I would probably need two pair,(at least I THINK two pair would be necessary, maybe not...) the price would be up in the $800 range ....of course, if you guys really thought the Primacoustic gobos would be far superior to the build-it-yourself booth made with doors & acoustic foam, I certainly would give that strong consideration.

Plus with the Primacoustic panels, I notice that there is a lot of open space from about the knee down...could this compromise sound absorption in a typical room?

Sorry if any of these questions seem redundant or elementary. This room treatment thing is something I have been avoiding for as long as possible, so it's a new area of study for me.

I have researched the threads exhaustively on this topic, and couldn't see where the two specific questions mentioned above had been addressed.

Last edited by Rob Ellis on Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, my apologies--after reading your reply again, I realize you probably directed me to the Primacoustic link for ideas on how to create my own gobo, and not necessarily to suggest that I buy one of their ready-built gobos.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken.

Yes, there is a lot of "air", and depending upon your particular room and needs Gobo's work well. Most often Gobo's can be used for both sitting and standing and will create the sonic reflections you desire.

My suggestion for building your own also lends itself to creataing a "down to the ground" version, if so desired (or needed).

The key to Gobo's is they are easily moved and simple to store when you need to use the space for other purposes. Think larger group session or several instruments playing in your room. Consider that while you record the Gobo's might be in one position and when you are editing they might be in another... use your space wisely.

As for caster's, unless they squeak when sitting around, I do not see any problem... Do you have a problem with low wave rumble? Lots of large trucks driving by your home?

Toodles

F2
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really have a lot of big trucks driving by, but I am near a fairly busy corner so you get the occasional motorcycle or mufflerless pickup.

In addition to the vocal booth, I will probably add some heavy curtains to the windows in my office, since that is where any outside noise (traffic, lawnmowers, etc.) comes through.

Thanks again to everyone for their helpful insights and suggestions.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

I saw this link while surfing. For anyone contemplating hanging sheetrock (as my son is putting sound isolation in his garage), "quietrock" might be useful. See: http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or this: http://www.supressproducts.com/products/index.htm
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

This is great information!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Edo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just..... don't be fooled by their claims for STC 51 and over, for this will only be achieved when using floating walls on separate individual concrete (non-attached) slabs with AIR in between the double layers of walls. Trying to insulate sound without proper leak prevention (= totally sealing walls, floors and ceiling) will have little or no effect. Also it's a known fact that the best way to achieve STC 60 (proper studio standard) is to use double leaf walls made from triple layers of gypsum boards on studs, with fibreglass insulation to an airgap, and then a second wall behind the airgap, but then constructed inside out. Tons of useful info here: http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html
Rick Gordon
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Portable recording Reply with quote

Hi Y'all,

Interesting subject eh? Harlan Hogan submitted an article with photos of his portable unit for our CommercialVoices.con Newsletter a while back. I've seen it in action in his hotel room in Quebec City (he wanted some real French Onion soup). It's an interesting read. Now he couples this set up with Source Connect when he travels. Click here http://www.commercialvoices.com/Road%20Warriors.doc

Cheers,
Rick

Get Hit and Get Heard
GUARANTEED!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: