VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nooooooooooooooo!!! P2P discussion AGAIN???!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Nooooooooooooooo!!! P2P discussion AGAIN???! Reply with quote

I know, I know. Many of you/us are so burned out on the "whether to do P2P or not" debate.

However, as I just got through editing 2 projects that are from repeat clients from P2P sites originally, I thought I'd go back and take a look at some stats from THIS YEAR ALONE.

Since January, I've had $6000 worth of work come into my inbox from repeat clients who originally found me in years past via a P2P site. Now mind you, this is repeat business ONLY. I'm not talking about the handful of NEW jobs won on said site this year.

This means I only had to open my e-mail to get this work. In every single case, the client sent me the script, said "Hey can you do this for us?" and either gave me their budget or asked me what it would cost.

I know a lot of folks disdain the P2P sites and that's fine. Less competition out there for me (and man, it IS definitely getting tougher on those sites now! LOTS more good competition than when they first started uHobo Happy.

But if I can get 6 grand in work by simply opening my e-mails in the first 4 full months of this year, that's not a bad ROI in my opinion.

Just thought I'd share that.

www.voicebyscott.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're paying the bills with the help of P2P sites. I'm simply delighted to learn not that they work for you but how well they work for you. Long may it continue.
Brad Venable
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Philip said. Huzzah!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Nooooooooooooooo!!! P2P discussion AGAIN???! Reply with quote

Scott Pollak wrote:

I know a lot of folks disdain the P2P sites and that's fine. Less competition out there for me

Hey, man, keep it down, will ya! Lips Are Sealed
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm joining in long enough to say... Well done that man!

I am now un-joining.
graemespicer
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish - I am so disappointed in you ... this would normally have been a week's worth of entertainment Inoccent

Member of the World-Voices Executive Board

tel • (416) 716-2246
email • graeme@graemespicer.com
graemespicer.com
Scott Lyle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Scott! Could you provide any tips for increasing your odds of being awarded/chosen for the job? How do you narrow down which job you should audition for?

Thank you for your time,
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had some secret to share with you, Scott. I TRY to 'be picky' as Voice123 advises, and I choose what I audition for based on about 3 criteria, and in this order:

- Budget
- Is it a good fit for my voice?
- What is the client's track record for opening/listening to auditions?

As mentioned in the first post, it's getting harder to land work there. I get my share of "Finalist" ratings, but I also get my share of "Not Likely" which always surprises me because I DO try to only audition for projects for which I think I'm a good fit. But who knows what voice the seeker is hearing in his head?

I think to land jobs there you have to, first of all, of course, just be very, very good. Next, you have to have the voice they want. If you don't, there's nothing you can do about that.

But once you DO land that client, treat them right. Be professional. Respond in a timely manner. Go above and beyond. And build that rapport and repeat business. There is nothing better than establishing a good relationship where the client will come back to you again... and again... and again. And while I don't have an exact count, I would say right now I have around 20-30 clients who are regulars, who first found me via one of the online sites.

www.voicebyscott.com
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, you said a mouthful.

Anytime you can catch a client... while you're swimming in a P2P site... and keep them in you're own pond, that's what I call investing in your futures. Bravo!
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Pollak wrote:
But who knows what voice the seeker is hearing in his head?

That's the secret right there. If I was AWESOME at analyzing what a producer needs for a spot (because there is almost never a great description...and even then it is someone writing what they mean...but not necessarily what I understand that they mean) I could be a lot more effective. Is anyone giving mind-reading marketing classes? I need to hang out with more casting directors.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've told this story before, but I love telling it, so here it is again:

In the late '80's when I was a video producer for BellSouth, we were putting together a 20 minute video to try to explain a horribly dry and boring concept called "Open Network Architecture". It was every bit as boring as the name implies. However, we hired a fantastic writer who crafted a wonderful witty and funny story that played off the old 1940's black-and-white Sam Spade type of private detective genre and we began scouting locations and casting for talents.

Based on the script, we had a general idea of what we wanted each character to be like and thus the auditions began. Well, one wiry, kinda scary looking actor came in - he almost looked like a homeless coke-head - and he just blew us away. He was so damned talented and so insanely funny that we knew right then and there that he would be a particular character; even though he was NOTHING like we had originally envisioned the character.

So while - yes - producers often (usually, most likely) go into a casting call with a fairly clear idea of what they're looking for, you just never know. Your talent and interpretation might be so fresh and innovative and GOOD that you might sell them on re-thinking what they had in mind.

www.voicebyscott.com
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Pollak wrote:
So while - yes - producers often (usually, most likely) go into a casting call with a fairly clear idea of what they're looking for, you just never know. Your talent and interpretation might be so fresh and innovative and GOOD that you might sell them on re-thinking what they had in mind.

'Zackly, Scott.

As someone (Wink) said to wrap up their recent Faff Camp talk:

"Be so good they can't ignore you."
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many casting directors have said "Just bring yourself to the audition". Nobody can be you better than you.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translated it could mean, "We're putting this in your hands and trust that you'll be interesting."
Scott Lyle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great replys all. Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses! From everyone's repeat business, it seems clear that they have many clients that they care about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: