VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

At what point do you realize you're not going to get paid??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, the challenge I've come across and its something I've been working on as of late, is working out the payment details in advance.

My old way had been to focus on the production, the script, their deadline and how much I was charging or they were budgeting.

What I'd neglected to do often enough was discuss payment terms in that first call. You have to practice the phrasing in your head a bit to make it natural and not abrupt; it should be part of that first call so the terms are discussed up front. It seems I was better at this with Pay Pal customers than check customers.

So Tom, while you're collecting this money, think about the above for future work...if you're dealing with professionals, they'll understand that payment terms are as much of the negotiations as the payment amount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a timely subject for me. I was contacted directly through Interactive Voices by a client who wanted me to voice and produce a message for their voice mail. I told them I required 1/2 payment upfront, and the rest deposited to PayPal when the files were delivered. They agreed to the terms. I got the 1/2, delivered the files, then nothing, despite repeated emails and invoices. I've learned my lesson, and won't send finished files to an unknown client without putting a watermark on them. They'll get the final files when I have the money in my account. Since they contacted me directly, IV can't really do anything.

Tom, your case is different in that the operative word is "Big". Big agency, big pharmaceutical company. In my experience, big companies sometimes take the longest to pay.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought net 30 was standard as well until my agent informed me 90 days was standard for non union. Sure enough, I got the call at 90 days that my check was ready to be picked up. Union work has to be paid in I think 10 days.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: