VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POTS & ISDN..Need Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: POTS & ISDN..Need Help Reply with quote

I've been using ISDN for years for VO work but am now in an area where ISDN is not available. I need to know if I have any options to be able to connect via POTS (Plain Old Telephone Line) or IP Phone to a far end studio that has ISDN.

I have access to a COMREX Matrix but does that mean the other studio has to also have to Matrix to connect?

And what about this Zephyr Xport?

Would appreaciate any help with this ASAP as I have a client wating for an answer...

Thanks!
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a specific answer to your question. However, Skype may or may not be a solution for you. Some VO talent in the UK tested it and found it to be very good, presenting good fidelity for VO work. See http://www.skype.com/

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: POTS & ISDN..Need Help Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
I've been using ISDN for years for VO work but am now in an area where ISDN is not available. I need to know if I have any options to be able to connect via POTS (Plain Old Telephone Line) or IP Phone to a far end studio that has ISDN.

I have access to a COMREX Matrix but does that mean the other studio has to also have to Matrix to connect?

And what about this Zephyr Xport?

Jason:

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you don't have ISDN on your end, you can't do an ISDN session with the far end studio. You can, however, do a POTS session where your client listens in over your telephone line and directs you, then you either email mp3's, upload mp3's or aif's or wav's to an ftp site, or just overnight a CD.

Sorry if I missed something. Please clarify your question.

Jim
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: POTS & ISDN...Need Help Reply with quote

Jim-

I wasn't referring to phone patch session with a later audio file delivery to the client but a way to use a POTS codec on my end to connect with a ISDN codec on the other. I've heard of companies like Audio TX that say you can use their PC based software and be able to transmit a live session (I would assume through ethernet cable & broadband internet connection) to a ISDN codec on the far end. But I don't know how clean the audio is and reliable the connection. Additionally, I'm using Mac G4's and this Audio TX is only available in Windows.

I did have a lengthly discussion with a tech at Comrex and am exploring the possibilities of creating an ISDN line off of the T1 lines that I have access to. It's just a matter of Local Telco wanting to do this. According to the guy, even if you have wired DSL available into your studio, you could have it switched to ISDN. This Matrix I have access to I can add a ISDN module to if and only if I can get the actual line installed.

Best,

Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: