VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-Audio 2496 and Avid Express Pro issue NEW QUESTION!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: M-Audio 2496 and Avid Express Pro issue NEW QUESTION!!! Reply with quote

I just won a 2496 card and the install into my XP machine went well, The only issue ( and it's a known issue) is that Avid(which now owns M-Audio btw) does not work with the 2496, the video hangs on the first frame and does not play.

the Avid was working fine with the digital soundmax chip built into the motherboard, but I want to use the same box for both video and audio.

What I was thinking, and I am relatively competent on the PC, but this is new territory for me, was to set up a second user profile and disabel the M-Audio card in that profile and that should bring back the on board sound as a slelection (which has disappeared). Would that work??

I have searched the Avid boards and found some who have gotten the gear to play nice but their "solutions" have not worked for me.

Funny, I tried to switch things around to institute some of their 'solutions" and could not get the card to NOT work with my audio software.

Since Avid is DV it only uses the soundcard for monitoring during editing, so it seems odd that a relatively standard card would not work, but having dealti with Avid for more than 20 years, nothing really surprises me anymore.

BTW, system is an Hp XW6000 dual Xeon 2.6 gHx proc, 1.5 gb Ram, XP sp1, 60 gig sys drive, 160 gig media drive, ads pryo firewire card.

Any tech guru type help would be appreciated!

my other machine is an old Celery 400 that I produced my documentary on and am in the process of swapping them out. that has a SB 128 card.

Last edited by Bill on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: RE: M-Audio 2496 and Avid Express Pro issue Reply with quote

Bill,

I take it that your motherboard audio is no longer even listed as available? (Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio tab, pull down the "Sound playback" and "Sound recording" optiosn)

If you still have the motherboard driver CD-ROM, you might be able to force your system to re-recognise the motherboard audio by re-installing the driver.

I'm sorry, I don't have more time right now to offer further thoughts, but will check back later to see if you've made any progress.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: M-Audio 2496 and Avid Express Pro issue Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Bill,

I take it that your motherboard audio is no longer even listed as available? (Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Audio tab, pull down the "Sound playback" and "Sound recording" optiosn)

correct it has vanished. and now I have royally messed things up. I had the default admin account going since the get go, I figured if I set up another user account and disabled the m-audio card, the onboard sound would reappear. uh-uh, it disables it across all user profiles. I had to setup another admin account, now the original admin profile has vanished as well as all my internet history, program history etc.

everything still works. as it did before.

right now though I'm done, I cannot handle technology anymore and am going back to bearskinds and stone knives.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: M-Audio 2496 and Avid Express Pro issue Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
I had to setup another admin account, now the original admin profile has vanished as well as all my internet history, program history etc.

Bill,

Computer administration is something of a "black art." Ninja

My guess is that your old profile may not actually be completely gone. Browse through (using My Computer, or some other file manager) your "Documents and Settings" folder. See if a folder remains there with the name of your previous Admin account. If so, you can likely copy over most of the "missing" stuff, such as Favorites, and the like.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

After reading some help files on computer administration (doh!) and finding out the default administrator account can never be disabled or deleted, I disabled the new account I created, and viola! the old admin account returned.

so I decided to install the Ulead MSP 5.0 and then the 6.5 upgrade, so that works (It's what I used to edit my documentary, though I used Avid at work and am much more adept with it, MSP is a pretty good program and a good bang for the buck) It seems to have some XP issues, but they can be worked out.

Thanks for the help.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Bill,

Excellent news. It's good to know you're back up and running.
+1-724-613-2749
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: New Question! Reply with quote

Thanks Bob.. sometimes its good just to walk away for a while. Wink

this is a PC that I have been upgrading to replace my aging VO system. I also use it for music. thus...

Okay, I installed the 2496 I did some quick tests and it sounded fine on voice.

Last night I had a bit more time and tried recording sax.well it blew the doors off! clipping like crazy.

here's the set up... Rode NT2 into Behringer MX802a(currently, once its moved it will be into an Aphex 107 pre amp) into the 2496. I have the mic channel at zero and the master out at zero and set the level well under clipping using the gain knob (just as I have always done). I opend the M-Audio controls and can't seem to find any adjustment for the incoming signal (with the old onboard sound chip and the windows mixer I had the line input all the way down).

the monitor mixer appears to be just that, for mixing the output levels. but what about input? am I missing something??? (I've read and re-read the manual a couple times and it's information overload)

(system; HP XW6000, dual Xeon 2.66 procs, 1.5 gig Ram, 60 gig sys drive, 160 gig media drive, Nvidia display adapter, Ads Pyro firewire)
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: New Question! Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
I opend the M-Audio controls and can't seem to find any adjustment for the incoming signal (with the old onboard sound chip and the windows mixer I had the line input all the way down).

the monitor mixer appears to be just that, for mixing the output levels. but what about input? am I missing something??? (I've read and re-read the manual a couple times and it's information overload)

Bill,

I use the USB MobilePre and with that the mixer/driver applet has both input and output controls right in the main window. I wish I could offer more help, but check all of the menus. It may be there's an option to switch from "playback" mixer to "record" mixer as with the default Windows setup.
+1-724-613-2749
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. will check tonight since I am not at the PC now. I did get a response elsewhere about a -10/+4 switch somewhere, and mentioned it was in the manual.... most manuals are horribly written and usually translated into english these days which seems to compound the problem. My wife used to be a Technical Writer, and I heard the stories, try to get an engineer to put things in plain language? never. :lol: at lot it reminds me of the "script" DB posted the other day. lots of words that say nothing.
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: weird, weird stuff Reply with quote

I was messing around tonight trying to figure out the Delta software... no matter what I do seems the mute switches do nothing... and nothing internall affects level, only reducing it on teh outboard mixer. but what's weird....

I started up Ulead's Media Studio Pro 6.5 (my fall back video editor) captured some footage, things worked really well. Just about to end for the night, and for the heck of it, started Avid.. hit play, and ZOINKS! it worked!!! there is a known issue with the Avid M-Audio cards not working together, but this takes the cake. I do however remember some one on the Avid board, with a different (newer) version of the software and a differet Delta card say he couldn't get Avid to work with it until one day he installed Vegas, and then Avid worked...(got scared of the competition maybe?)

now, let's see what happens next time I start her up...

as a friend of mine is apt to say... "stupid computers." (and he's a programmer)
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: weird, weird stuff Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
Just about to end for the night, and for the heck of it, started Avid.. hit play, and ZOINKS! it worked!!! there is a known issue with the Avid M-Audio cards not working together, but this takes the cake. I do however remember some one on the Avid board, with a different (newer) version of the software and a differet Delta card say he couldn't get Avid to work with it until one day he installed Vegas, and then Avid worked...(got scared of the competition maybe?)

now, let's see what happens next time I start her up...

Bill,

This sounds good. And I think it's entirely possible that there's some kind of driver interaction between your two video editors that might have made the difference. So, next time you start up the machine try:

1. Running the Avid software. If it works now, you're golden.
2. If it doesn't, try running your Ulead software again, verifying that it works. Then,
3. Try the Avid software again. If it works after you run the Ulead, but not before, at least you have a (though cludgy) workaround to keep working until you're able to move to different audio hardware.
+1-724-613-2749
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly my plan Bob, Hmmm I like the way you think. Gasp

still haven't figured out the M-audio interface, for the life of me not matter what I do nothing is ever muted. Not that that is a problem, jsut an oddity that stuck out. seems like its one of those instances where the programmers tried to make it be everything to everybody. I would rather route stuff with physical cables. Wink
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
exactly my plan Bob, Hmmm I like the way you think. Gasp

Bill,

Well, I'm in good company then! Thank you and I hope you're able to resolve the remaining issues quickly and painlessly.
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: