VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it time to come out of the closet, er, booth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Is it time to come out of the closet, er, booth? Reply with quote

Hey Crew,

My beloved Whisper Room has been in storage for the last month since moving to Florida.

(been auditioning with a blanket over my head, a laptop and an SM57 or Senn 416)

We are set to move into our new digs next week, and I have an office/bedroom earmarked. We are in a typical Florida ranch style home, all one level in a reasonably quiet suburb (3 blocks from the beach, yea!)

The question is, would this be the time to make the transition to a treated room? I know I would take a hit on selling the booth, but hey it has more than paid for itself. Keep in mind I'm not really unhappy with the booth. I have treated the **** out of it and most people think it sounds pretty good and it does do a great job of isolating.

But hey maybe I don't know what I'm missing by not being in a treated room. I already have an abundance of OC 703/705 panels so that part would be pretty much taken care of. I'm thinking it would mainly be treating the one window in the room and the door. There is a guest bathroom next to the room in question so that could be a factor.

Mainly a question of a ballpark cost and how much noise isolation would be possible compared to the treated box. Any input is appreciated.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout pics of the house? And the room in question? Is it just you and the wife, or might there be others who would actually use that spare bath?

There are a number of us here who advocate a room over a booth, mostly because we like a little space, and because we like the natural sound of a well-treated room. We'd all be happy to weigh in with suggestions on how to achieve it on a budget.

Then again, your booth works.... Wink
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if I can scrounge up some pics from the home inspection.

Yeah, I was a little hesitant to even re-open this can o' but this is a transitory period, and the booth is un-assembled and it just kinda seemed
like an opportune time to to re-visit the subject.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm sort of in the same dilemma, except I set my booth up in a bedroom and treated it with all kinds of stuff to get it sounding OK in 2004???. My initial thought was I'd set it up in the garage. That never happened (winter came and I decided to be comfortable).

Anyway, someone gave me a whole bunch of Aurelex a few weeks ago, which T-50'd stapled to the walls and ceiling of the bedroom where the booth is set up. The bedroom has sloped ceiling, conforming to the slope of the roof (meaning irregular corners that are not square).

So, the booth sounds real good now but I'm diggin' the room a whole lot. In fact, I may not use the booth anymore, but I'm waiting to hear how it all works out.

One thing, through. A few nights ago a neighbor's dog was barking at 10 p., and it went on past 1 a.m. (when I finally went to sleep the dog was still barking). The attenuation inside the booth was good enough for commercial work, but not outside. So, I think I'll just leave the booth assembled for the time being.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charlie, thanks for your input. I have also thought about keeping the booth around even if I do ultimately "come out of the booth", and having it there JIC.

Here are photos---the room in question is on the RIGHT side BTW

[/img]

[img][/img]
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Construction appears to be block/stucco? Should be pretty good for isolation. The window is a perfect candidate for a plug from those OC panels, what with that inset surround you have. Florida's got plenty of Habitat Re-Stores, so finding a good solid core door should be easy. You'll want to check into the insulation above the ceiling, and what kind of access you have to it.

Looks do-able. And probably not at great expense....
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea according to the inspection it's concrete block construction

(which I had pretty much never heard of until moving to this area----must be a hurricane thing or something. I've heard of a block foundation, but not really an entire house)
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's well suited to the terrain and climate. Pour a slab, stack some walls... The structure won't shift or settle in sandy soil.... and you'll find those walls are pretty good insulation. They tend to stay cool in the heat.

Just be glad you got real windows. Lots of homes built down there in the 60s and 70s have "jalousie" windows.... kind of like blinds made of glass. Used to see them a lot in trailer doors. Ugh.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this has officially been designated as the "script analysis" area

cool
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conference room. Laugh
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm maybe voiceover veranda
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice patio and pool, Rob. The room? Very nice space but Big window=lots of Big Noise issues. Dogs, kids, and worse, lawn equipment. I don't believe the OC will give you any isolation help--as window plugs they'd make your room darker, less resonant, but no quieter. There are companies that can retrofit a second window over the existing one and still give you light, allow the window to be opened (when not recording), while cutting back the outside sound.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a big boom to hang mic over pool while in floating lounge chair with drink holder. Two sided tape on knees for copy stand. Sunscreen and sunglasses a must. We have a 70 foot deck with a mountain view through trees.

greg@gregorybest.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: