VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisMezzolesta
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: ISDN Reply with quote

I just don't know how much longer I can stand this - AT&T jacked my bill up AGAIN. From $200/mo to $248/mo. It was around $100/mo when I got it in 08 or 09. If I was using it every day or even every week I'd say it was worth it - but I just don't know how much longer I can be bled just to say I am an ISDN talent if I can't get the ISDN gigs!!! So angry right now. Who the hell at AT&T decides this is a good idea? What if they raised their residential rates at the same rate and amount?! There'd be outrage on a grand scale. But I am supposed to take this? (evidently so.) Beyond fed up. I've gotta get some ISDN work somehow.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Chris. Mine just had an almost $60 increase per month in Ohio. I am now at around $290 per month. Insane. Dave Immer from Digifon says Ohio is one of the most expensive states for ISDN and that AT&T wants to eventually do away with the lines altogether because there are so few people who use them and AT&T doesn't want to keep paying to maintain the lines. I figure I can keep mine for a couple more years before they either price me out or they disconnect my lines for good. Glad there is also Source Connect:-)

Glenn
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you can still get it. I'm having the darndest time trying to even find someone who has lines in my area. Guess the phone companies are making the decision for the industry. They are pulling copper out of the ground at incredible speed.
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you posted this right now. I'm in the process of seriously re-evaluating keeping my ISDN. I'm up to $234/month for something I'm using maybe a handful of times over the year. At $2800 a year for the 5 years I've had this service, I've earned maybe 10% of this. I'm seeing less and less auditions through my agents and the p2p services looking for this. And since I'm not worthy enough to get on the rosters of some of the production houses out there, I'm not getting the requests for ISDN. I'm also going to re-dedicate myself to finding repeating ISDN work because if I use Philip's formula of a 10 to 1 return (Or was it Bob's?) I've got to really hustle to make that up PDQ!!

Now what did I come in here for?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this thread disturbing. I'm paying $63 per month for my Verizon service, and am really hoping that they don't follow the lead. This low price obviously puts me in the position where I can afford to keep ISDN for occasional use without having to worry about it. In the short time I've had it, I'm getting between three and six sessions per month, and I know this is work I wouldn't have without ISDN. I'd be very reluctant to give it up now I've got it! I've started a marketing campaign to US studios that use it, pushing the fact that I'm a Brit in a US time zone perfect for live sessions. It's a useful "unique selling point", and I'd hate to give it up.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing campaign to the world, his wife and his cousin Tarquin. Not a one hit but multiple hits over 13 weeks all saying the same thing ... Call me!

If you promote the fact you have ISDN then they will miss the point ... Call me! Hire me! The U in USP is U.

The reason I love Pam Tierney is because there is only one Pam Tierney. There are lots of voices with redundant ISDN boxes and all manner of other bits of technology, some waste their time looking for the next big thing to get their voices over the internet or down the nearest storm drain to the client FASTERER, CHEAPERER and with a higher bit rate, lower loss rate to say nothing of a broader bandwidth. SELL YOU, love what you are able to do for the people out there waiting for you.

ISDN costs HOW MUCH!? Now do the same cost/benefit (MONEY IN THE DOOR) analysis for every other part of your business and you'll discover that $287.47 per month is the least of your problems ... One you... sell that!
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Philip, I love you too! Even though I can't understand a word you are saying. So I put your post through my Philip translator and I think I may get it now.

If I get your point, you are saying to sell me and my voice not the fact that I have ISDN. Which I agree, but you need to let people know you are you and oh, by the way, you have ISDN - gee isn't that great?!! I think that is the marketing Bish was talking about. But just targeting and contacting those ISDN studios that still use the service so I can get this blasted piece of equipment to pay for itself.

Why I revert to being a fake Brit when I talk to Bish and Philip I'll never know. I'm a wannabe for sure.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam wrote:
I put your post through my Philip translator

There's a Bollocks-to-American translator? Sarcastic
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, it's a necessity for us who are linguistically challenged. Or some might just say for all Americans who can't speak the Queen's english.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do need to know HOW to get your voice on their production and that is why ISDN needs to be mentioned. There are enough voices out there, enough female voices out there, some with aproximately the same sound who can phone patch etc but there is only one you and you are an ISDN voice.

So in order it's -

Sparkle - The natural sound
Pam - The personality
Available - Full time voice with the Technology
Reputable - Trained and experienced
Kudos - Satisfied clients
Likeable - Stretching a point (I'm SO in trouble)
Engaging - Good people skills, essential for client attended sessions

My first ISDN session was simply booked. The producer did not ask if I was on ISDN he just assumed I was. In your marketing the good guys don't look to see IF you have SPIDS they look so they can write them down.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the U.S. Markets Only:

I awoke, long before the Sunrise. Thoughts permeated my mind, disturbing my dreaming after having just attempted to get my ISDN perking yesterday ... it rained ... my circuit stopped functioning ... the tech spent 4 hours getting it together, climbing three poles ... Yes ... it wasn't me (this time) ... voltage on the line ... yes ... water +30 volts in some box or other ... ISDN's great ... when it's working ... what's better?

Thoughts: Perhaps it is time for some significant legal and/or congressional advocacy for action that will get the attention of the Telco's, regarding ISDN.

The facts:

1. ISDN is used by financial institutions and the military and government for secure data lines. We all have a need for secure data communications. "Secure data lines" are the words that stick in my mind.

2. Banks are everywhere. Those business entities are NOT being forced to move to IP. Nor will the financial institutions, military and other governmental use stop in the near future. I got money on it that the NYSE is primarily using secure data lines, notwithstanding E-Trade.

3. The ISDN infrastructure is in place. Copper is the manner of delivering data to homes and businesses in the U.S. I count coax as copper. Put another way, it ain't fiber that's sending and receiving data at most head-ins, offices and houses in neighborhoods (yet).

4. Voice performers are small business entities.

5. Pricing is NOT uniform, and (IMHO) is being artificially manipulated, such that it might be subject to Taft-Hartley or other anti-trust legislation. In any event, it seems to me that small business ought not be subject to arbitrary pricing practices that disadvantage small business entitles, compared to big business. Moreover, the Telco's have an affirmative action obligation concerning small businesses. See P.L. 95-507. E.O. 12138. Incidentally, P.L. 99-661 provides for the DoD to provide "technical assistance" to targeted firms (small businesses and minority owned businesses -- including Women-owned businesses). Those provisions appear in government prime contracts with Telco's. Think: SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION.

6. Telco's have been deregulated, but perhaps it's time for a Petition to be filed with the FCC regarding some regulation of secure data lines to ALL businesses, or perhaps those in the communications business -- like voice over artists. There may be Small Business Administration alliance with voice performers on this matter. But, my recollection is that anybody can file a petition for rule making. Formalities must be followed.

7. There is a need for coherent and orderly transition to new technologies. And, that new technology (IP) should not present degradation of the services currently delivered. I'm talking reliability, speed and security. I'm talking economics. If I think about the automobile industry, what would you think about the auto industry suddenly deciding to build "new" cars with technology that produced vehicle with more emissions and less fuel efficiency, without seat belts? Where is the FCC on this issue? Where is the SBA?

8. Internationally (outside the U.S.) ISDN is still used.

I agree with Phillip: Talent is the most important asset. Effective marking makes good business. But, I'm using technology (even to write this post) and so I've got to think about how that fits into the equasion.

While I hardily endorse the market place as the means by which the economic system functions optimally, my guess and feeling is that the playing field is NOT really level in this matter of ISDN.

How has it come that converged communications services can be offered by communications companies like Comcast and AT & T, i.e., digital streaming of paid for video, two-way Internet data (uploading and download) and telephone services, but not present a pipe for secure two-way, low latency communications for commercial quality real-time recording?

Is the answer: They do! All you need to buy is a new codec that enables you to send and receive via Internet? So, you just plug that modem into your router and, voila! You get high fidelity, stereo audio sent and received -- without latency issues, just like if you picked up and used your telephone! Is that what we get with the new Musicam devices that do IP?

If that's the case, then we (talents and studios) need to get the new device and move on and order business class IP service. It's like when the 8 track went away. I'll just write it down as "overhead" and depreciate the asset on my taxes and move on.

Does new things work just like telephones and are attached to a IP modem and router, whether you use DSL or Cable, to get and give data? Has the technology advanced so that the high quality connections actually work like a telephone, but with stereo "high fidelity" and reliably and securely -- without latency?

I'm getting a headache. What I want to know is, What is the substitute for ISDN that presents the same quality, reliability, security and responsiveness that I can just buy off the shelf, plug-in and do business?

Do I solve the problem by simply financing the purchase of a new codec? I can and will do that as a matter of business necessity. Or, put another way, Why can't I just use ISDN like the big boys are doing until something better is in place (assuming the better mouse trap has not arrived). And, if the better mouse trap ain't here, Why are the big guys taking the solution off the table?

I, obviously, need some clarification.

C
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, that was an interesting summary of the (particularly US) situation. The security aspect is one worth considering. We know that the banks have these secure links, and now with HIPA security rules, medical as well as financial documents must have a secure transmission method. It is (as far as I understand) not permitted to send patient details from one medical establishment to another via email because it not considered secure enough. The medical industry is in an IT mess and has not attacked the issue head-on. (currently, one of the things they do to comply with HIPA is to hand the patient the documents for them to hand carry to the other establishment, because they cannot fax or email scanned documents).

There will always be technical limitations. ISDN will not work on copper with a nominal length of over 3,000 ft, and as you've noted, every pole, manhole and joint is a weak spot inherently adding a couple of dB loss and acting as a physical liability. My own connection was originally planned as a borderline copper run from the local Verizon office until a knowledgeable engineer looked at it, decided it was a liability and re-planned the circuit with only a couple of hundred yards of copper to the local fiber network access point. My point is that even if my copper goes away (as in George's Hermosa Beach example) and I'm fed a fiber pipe, there is no reason why a small multiplexor cannot be installed at my residence to split the pipe into a regular vanilla IP service, and a secure data connection to the ISDN backbone available at the local network access point.

Maybe the HIPA requirements will dictate that all doctor's offices will require a secure data connection. As ISDN is already on the backbone, it's only the local access problem that need to be solved... and as far as I can see, it's the ONLY stumbling block to continued ISDN use. The fiber to the house has more than enough bandwidth for internet, cable TV, phone... and a secure switchable data connection.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and Gentlemen., some good news...

Here is what very well could be the solution. The folks behind this are reaching out to voice talent and other performers and studios to learn about, download, try and help development by providing feedback.

https://www.connectionopen.com/

Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not work for everyone, depending on where you live, but living in Atlanta I have an edge. I've never bothered spending the money on ISDN because I can easily drive 20 minutes to a downtown studio and rent an ISDN studio for about $75/hour, which includes an engineer who knows WAY more about it than I ever would. For the one or two times a year a client needs ISDN, it's a helluva lot cheaper than actually owning the gear and paying the monthly fees.

www.voicebyscott.com
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently moved from California, paying for an individual account...about $53/month. Now in Wisconsin, paying over $200/month. My first bill which included installation was $551.16!

I pleaded, argued and cajoled AT&T to give me individual rates, which they say are no longer available, and ISDN is a business category. AT&T holds the monopoly here in IL, OH, MI, WI and MN, so other carrier can offer ISDN in the area. So no Verizon, etc....

I've just re-upped my support with Source Connect so I can eventually move into using that with an ISDN bridging service.
I also did a line test on Source Connect earlier this week with a studio in Europe and it sounded perfect in both directions.

Quote:
4. Voice performers are small business entities.

I stated this fact to AT&T. But they just don't care!

I believe IP is going to be the future, eventually...soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: