VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO2013 ATLANTA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are my opinions:

before VOICE 2007, which was orchestrated NOT solely by jim and penny, there were no conferences.

after the palace station event in vegas in 07, there was a proliferation, as many saw what could be harnessed (read: n00bs willing to pay to play, in a different way, through coaching and conferences and books and such)

this atlanta business sounds suspiciously like the l.a. biennial event that touts itself as full of opportunities ... but i see it as opportunities for people to sell their wares--> books, coaching services, software, future conference seats and carpe diem.

enter faffcon, which came about from a variety of casual conversations among people who had a toehold in the business and wanted to network with their kind, learn in a cooperative environment, and be available to help others, and receive assistance.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put !

Conference organisers in VO = Gobsh*tes!

I've spake it unto you so it must be true Laugh
VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Interesting thoughts, but mostly off the mark..... Reply with quote

After taking a moment to read through the comments in this post, I thought I'd try to add some perspective on the matter and set a few things right.

I'm the founder and president of VoiceoverCity, LLC as well as the person behind VO2013 ATLANTA. So, I'm probably best positioned to speak to the intent and motives behind the conference.

Let's start by saying this is not, nor has it ever been, associated with Faffcon. Faffcon is a unique program and we wish them the best with their format as it seems to truly be working for them.

Now, to speak with regard to VO2013 ATLANTA, I can only give you a little history on the group that's putting it on; VoiceoverCity. VoiceoverCity was started out of a basic need to connect with other VO Talent in the Atlanta area. After a short while, this group had gone from ZERO to over 200 members. All of them looking to start, build, or otherwise develop their voiceover business.

To date, we've take group of VO Talent (working pros and beginners alike) to area studios, post-production houses, voice clinics at area Universities, and recording studios. We've continued to build on strong support from both local and remote talent which we hope to continue.

The idea to put together VO2013 ATLANTA came from a basic need to have something in the southeast US versus having to go to CA, NY, IL, or some other far away city to connect with others in the community. Besides, Atlanta is a growing city with many opportunities becoming available in the entertainment industry and beyond. VoiceoverCity would like to be a part of building a community of talent that can serve those opportunities.

VoiceoverCity is NOT a studio. We don't make demos or do private coaching. We're a resource provider and network of people interested in starting or building a voiceover career. It's that simple. We have people come to the group that have NEVER voiced anything and others that work Full-Time in the field. We try to help them all by providing a starting point for what they may need to continue or start in the industry.

Some of the post in this thread border on ridiculous or just plain cynical. Running a promo to fill a few seats is somehow seen as a reflection of the industry being awash in conferences? Getting a great rate at the HILTON is reflective of a hustle by the hotel? Where do you get this stuff?

What's wrong with people coming together around a common idea or interest? After all, didn't tens of thousands of people spend millions of dollars flocking to New Orleans so they could EXPERIENCE the Superbowl? Were they being cheated or taken advantage of? Maybe they we just being robbed. I mean, why would they spend hundreds or thousands of dollars just to yell for a couple hours as millionaires ran up and down the field.

Having said that, what's wrong with people having an interest in voiceover coming together for whatever reason they choose to do so. In my marketing, you will see me promote only three basic things; which I call the three "P's". That means I want them to learn something that helps them improve their "Performance", build on their "Profession", and connect with other "People". There's no promise of a Demo being made in a weekend, or that anyone will leave with a new job.

Oh, there is one promise I made. That's for the person that wins the Voiceover Contest at VO2013 ATLANTA. They will get nearly $4,000 dollars worth of gear for their home studio.

Hey, everyone here is entitled to their own view and interpretation of the event here in Atlanta. That's fine. Just don't assign intent or motive where you lack information and knowledge.

I wish Faffcon, VOICE2014, That's Voiceover, World Voices, and any other events where people have taken the time to put something together for the community, much success. Thankfully, all of these events have slightly different angles on them. Some are one-day events while others are 4-5 days. In either case, I'd like to believe that they offer a welcomed reprieve from life in the box. For people just getting started, perhaps these conferences offer a chance for them to meet coaches or trainers that don't live in their area, handle and touch some of the gear they may look to buy, or just connect with others that are trying to do what they want to do.

I'm sure all the voices in here being critical of these events have all they need in their 3x3 booth at home where nobody bothers them and they never have to leave their room. For the rest of the people that recognize the need to connect with others from time to time, learn something new, or simply get away from home for a couple days, I say Welcome and Hello. If you choose to join us here in Atlanta or attend one of the other voiceover activities, have fun. Enjoy yourself, make some new friends, and pick up a thing or two that adds to your efforts to build a strong VO Career.

cool
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting thoughts, but mostly off the mark..... Reply with quote

Gerald, thank you for your reply. I certainly appreciate the local aspect of these events and your services to the Atlanta community are doubtless, also I will add that your speakers are luminaries of the industry. However, I think you missed the main thrust of the discussion here. It was mainly to do with the amount of choices offered to VOs for what is basically the same product. If you think there is room for another, then that is your business decision and I wish you well. I will admit to a certain amount of (maybe inappropriate) cynicism regarding last minute deals and offers.

The VO community is spoilt for choice when it comes to conferences and the discussion has been about discriminators and unique selling points. This is where I fail to see the analogy with the Superbowl, which is the epitome of a unique, one-off event.

As for being "ridiculous or just plain cynical", I think your comment is pretty much up there as well.... not to mention a little disparaging.

VoiceoverCity wrote:
I'm sure all the voices in here being critical of these events have all they need in their 3x3 booth at home where nobody bothers them and they never have to leave their room.

VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Okay, Bish....I'll give you that. Reply with quote

Okay, maybe I got a little too close to the fire there with the 3x3 comment. Smile Sorry.

Being unique means different things to different people. For many of the people that have contacted me about coming to the conference, this is very unique to them since they have never been able to attend something in LA, Chicago, or New York.

The tag-lines for VO2013 ATLANTA don't say "The most unique VO Experience in the world" it simply says the "Largest Multi-Day Voiceover Conference in the Southeast"

To that point, the conference is very unique. Smile There are no barriers to attending with regard to how long someone has been in the business, or their current working status. All are welcome.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays, (thanks to the TSA and the attitude of the airlines) there's a lot to be said for not having to get on a plane. From a business point of view, maybe that's all the differentiator you need.

Good luck with the event.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record Faffcon Harrisburg ...F***ing AWFUL! Cost me dinner for about 10 AND I got locked in a bedroom with about 20 voiceoverists! I would have sooner danced on the side of a highway!

VOICE2010 Truly ****ing awful! Was completely ignored by Fraley! I think I sent him a thank you note. *

VO Mixer in New York REALLY..REALLY REALLY F***ing DREADFUL - Propped up girl in heels so high she couldn't walk, bought lunch for the starving, got beaten by a complete cheat at Checkers, forced to go shoe shopping, deafened and got called at 6am "Did I disturb you?" ...No it's ok I had to get up to answer the phone!

Next month Vox in Nottingham ...Really looking forward to it !!!!

Conferences Bah humbug!

*Walking arm in arm with Bobbin was simply divine but I'm not writing that!
VoiceoverCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, VO2013 ATLANTA hopes to be much more relaxed than the stuff you described. After all, this is the south where people speak to you, hugs are welcomed, the tea is sweet, and the chicken is deep fried.

There are no HUGE celebrities with entourages here, just people having a good time and hopefully learning something along the way.

Bish, we have people coming from 27 states so far, so it looks like those planes are flying okay. It must be the recent change with the 2" knives. Smile
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... a couple of us were toying with the idea of coming over for Vox. Not that there would be much of value there... just a bunch of Brits whinging about rates, but it was to be an anthropological field-study into the ritual drinking habits of the Brit VO when stuck in the middle of nowhere. I know what to expect... but I'm sure it would have been a real eye-opener for my American compadre.
Gasp
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exotic location ... East Midlands Airport! Well worth the trip. Me n Elisa will go into Nottingham to have a curry on the Friday night.

My entourage in LA were briefed to organise a curry for me in 2010. Did they? DID THEY B*LL*CKS! With 6 months notice no curry but a meal in a shopping mall!!! THEY said it was the company that counts .. Not true! On a curry night it is the curry on the night that counts!
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i admit i was in a sour moment that passed quickly when i posted earlier ... i didn't say but should have that some of the featured guests are indeed luminaries, as bish says, and have excellent reputations. it was certainly a highlight to meet and nosh with pat fraley at the palace station - the guy is hi-lar-i-ous, and so talented!! i also think your locale is great for a vo conference for all the reasons you list. and, there's no way faffcon the UNconference and any other vo CONference can be compared - it's the typical apples and oranges.

as far as the superbowl is concerned and this atlanta event, the catering to those who have never done voiceover and those who are established pros is the very reason discussions came about during and following voice 2007. too much for too many people, at too many varying degrees of experience, interest and ability. i.e. "start by talking into this end of the mic" (insert laugh track here). the superbowl has spectators who have never seen the game sitting alongside those who never miss a midget football game! but spectator experience counts for nothing when you're watching a big pro bowl game -- everyone sees the same game, albeit from different seats. as you know, this biz ain't like that.

i hope you have every success, gerald! i congratulate you on a LOT of work completed to make your event happen.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this, Bish....
Quote:
I'm waiting for the day DB walks into FaffCon. It will be like Cleopatra entering Rome

Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unique is a word that is frequently used incorrectly. Unique means one-of-a-kind. Something cannot be "very unique". It is either unique or it isn't, there are no degrees of uniqueness. FAFFCON is a one-of-a-kind event. The various VO conferences are variations of a theme with many of the same presenters hawking their services. Carry on. Just had to say it.

greg@gregorybest.com
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps. Somehow the post duplicated. Sometimes happens from the phone. Duplicate post removed.

greg@gregorybest.com
Ben Amos
Contributor III

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I found to be interesting, and I'm sure that the post-mortem statistics will be equally fascinating is the turnout of local (ATL) voice talent. I'm not claiming to have my finger on the pulse of the Atlanta voiceover community, but I'm plugged in enough. I don't claim to have any relevant sample size, but I can attest to the "meh" factor being pretty high among folks that I know that are working professionals, here.

Having attended one Voiceover City event back in November, I can speak with a modicum of knowledge. This was an event that featured an extremely prominent local agent (Jeffrey Umberger), and we'd be reading for him. It stated that it wasn't for beginners. I know for certain that there were two of us in the room who had successfully booked paying work out of about 15 people. If four had demos, I'd be shocked. Everyone else in attendance had been told that they "had a good voice." (If that's not entirely accurate to a person, it's damned near close). To this point, I've been on their email list to check out upcoming dates, but when the next event is a field trip to a local music store, to the tune of $10 just for the privilege? I don't envision that there are other VO City events in my future. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me.

When it was first announced, I admit that the presenter lineup certainly caught my attention. (Anybody who knows the A-list names in the business could see that). What stopped me from considering it further, however, was the fact that I'm much better served by taking that $547 and spending it on one-on-one time with Nancy Wolfson or Pat Fraley than I am to experience a veritable Whitman's Sampler of VO Who's Who. Don't get me wrong, there's not a single headliner that hasn't forgotten more than I'll likely ever know about the industry, but I know that my own learning style is such that with where I am in my career, I'll benefit far more from any one instructor's focused attention than a sliver of all of their times in a convention setting. (Besides, Bob Bergen is coming to Atlanta in June, and if I'm prioritizing, that takes the cake).

As all things VO, it's a case of "Your Mileage May Vary." It's up to everyone to know themselves well enough to identify where they are in their journey. I do find the bulk of Voiceover City's clientele to be what seems a disproportionate number of folks "exploring" the business. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and we were all there at some point. Had this event happened a few years ago, when I was beginning my formal training, I would've been foaming at the mouth to attend, but I question my readiness to have been able to handle the enriched uranium-level of knowledge that Nancy Wolfson has to offer when my own skull was capable of a single candlelight at best. For me to attended as a newbie would be squirrel hunting with an elephant gun. Total overkill for where I was in my career.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is an industry lynchpin in the making. I do find it interesting that no one has mentioned that Gerald has no experience in the voiceover industry, which is certainly not a prerequisite, but I've never known it to hurt. (Even most coaches that aren't talent were agents, CDs, etc). Voiceover City's founding makes more of a Don King, boxing promoter relationship to voiceover than a talent/coach/teacher one based in cold, hard experience. My universal rule of being lead is that I'll do anything in the world you ask me to do, so long as you know more than me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: