VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Upgrade Path: Mic or Preamp?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: The Upgrade Path: Mic or Preamp? Reply with quote

I realize there are probably no hard-and-fast answers to a question like this, but I'll throw it out there and see what people think: Which upgrade in my gear will yield better results: a better mic or a better preamp?

All I do is record voice. Just me, speaking into a mic and recording it on my computer. Right now, I'm using an AT4040 mic and an MBox.

Let's say I have about $1,000 for upgrading, and I want to buy the one best piece of equipment I can get with that. For my simple purposes, will my sound be improved more by buying a $1,000 mic (like a Neumann TLM103, for example) and using that with an MBox, or by buying a $1,000 preamp or mixer and using that with the AT4040?

The theory, for me anyway, is that both pieces of equipment will be upgraded eventually. But it would make sense for the first upgrade to be made to the piece of equipment that has more immediate impact on the quality of my voice tracks.

Thanks.

Tony
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I know that I will get a lot of flak on this one, but I am a purist. Which means NO Pre-amp.

Most, mixers and sound cards - especially those in the above 'consumer level' sound cards have a Pre-amp built in. They are usually adequate, mind you - not 'top of the line' but good. Hence the lack of need for an outboard Pre-'.

Give a high quality mic a try but, as is often said, "...it's not the price of the toys, but the technique in which you use the toys -which makes the difference".

By understaning the capabilities and Abilities of specific microphone, you may sound just as good on an AT, Marshall (great mics for the price), Octava, or a Neumann. Each microphone has it's own characteristics, you will want to explore individual microphones to find out which is best for you and YOUR voice.

A good Marshall Tube Mic is priced under $300.00 and the sound will blow you away...

Then take the remaining $700.00 and buy your Lady something special - she will love ya' for that... and you will get a lot more milage out of that investment than buying a new Pre-amp.

Frank F
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's the sort of answer I was hoping for, Frank, if for no other reason than it's much more fun shopping for and buying a shiny new mic than a boring preamp.

The $1,000/Neumann example was just an extreme. I'm planning to try out a number of mics to see how they sound compared to what I've got now. I'll definitely add the Marshall tube to my list of candidates.

Now if I could just find a lady to spend that $700 on...

Thanks.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will chime in on this one. All respect due to Frank....he is correct with his answer....however, I speak from experience with a similar mic to what you have...I have a AT4033 as well as some other 'higher end' mics.

It just depends on your end product.....if you are working or plan/hope to be working on projects for large post productions studios in NY or LA....the pre will make all the difference in the world. I just upgraded to a Focusrite Red 8 (which sounds to be more than what you want to spend) and used the AT4033 with it to compare the sound difference and it sounds sonically, so much better than what I had going on before. The Red 8 is whisper quiet it sounds incredible.

Anyway, in my opinion, ask yourself what the end product will be....ISDN work to very picky clients....or sending MP3 files etc to less picky clients.

Hope that helps some....maybe confused you more.

Good luck anyway.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
Hope that helps some....maybe confused you more.

Not at all. Frank voted for the mic, you voted for the preamp. You both raised good points. That's the kind of info a non-engineer needs to know to start making informed decisions rather than just buying gear willy-nilly and hoping it sounds good.

Thanks.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC wrote:
rather than just buying gear willy-nilly and hoping it sounds good.

Why not!? That's how I did and I've got the credit card debt to prove it Wink

In all seriousness though, you can probably get yourself hooked up pretty nicely with both a mic and pre-amp for under a hundrede bucks...

Do you like the way your voice sounds on your current mic? Have you found another mic that you think sounds better?

When I'm looking for gear that I think will work well for me, I usually visit www.gearjunkies.com and read some of the threads... the opinions are as varied as the day is long, but it gives me a place to start and some names to work with. From there I narrow down the options that I think are most appropriate for me and then begin asking colleagues about specific pieces of equipment. Once I have some solid 3rd party opinions I head out to the local gear shop and beg them to let me borrow the piece of gear I'm considering. I then play with them for a week or so and make a choice to either buy it or move on to the next one!

However, if you really only want to buy one item, I'd say search high and low for the mic that best suits your voice. After that, I guarantee that you'll want to spend some more money on a nice pre-amp... but baby steps are good!

Good Luck!
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already have a quality mic. Is there any reason to fault the mic you are now using? Will a more expensive mic make your voice better or improve your technique? Perhaps a more expensive mic will capture and reproduce the timbre of your voice in a manner that you find to be better - the same may also be true of a less expensive mic.

I have the AT4040 and find that I do not get the crispness that I prefer without a wee bit of eq'ing to brighten things a bit at around 6000. A little dash of boost from the parametric eq in my Presonus Eureka handles that very easily. (The Pre also has a couple of other tweaks - impedence and saturate - that can be used to help out in warming your sound or adding more detail if that is what you want.) Other than that minor detail, the AT4040 seems to be a very high quality instrument - and I suspect that most any decent mic would perform about the same, unless a bit of a "presence rise" is built in by the manufacturer.

In any event, we can buy things because of actual, legitimate need, which is logical and rational - - or we can spend our money on whatever makes us happy in the moment (beer and pizza?), which is what most of us tend to do. Take your pick and have fun! Lowenbrau with a pepperoni pineapple pizza sounds pretty good right about now.....
marko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the TLM 103 and LOVE it, but didn't realize how good it could truly sound until I got my Avalon pre amp. All I can say is, WOW. I still use my trusty AT 4033 on many occassions for different applications as well.

The right pre amp can make a not so great mic sound fantastic.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
You already have a quality mic. Is there any reason to fault the mic you are now using?

Nope. I like the AT4040. I sound better using the AT4040 than I did using the Shure SM58, which was my first mic. That was a great upgrade, and I'm glad I did it. And I'm inclined to think that I haven't reached the pinnacle of my sound with the AT4040. I know that I've heard myself sound a little bolder and deeper through mics at professional recording studios. I just need to shop around and find the one that's right for me. No hurry, though. The equipment I have now is doing what I need it to do.

donrandall wrote:
In any event, we can buy things because of actual, legitimate need, which is logical and rational - - or we can spend our money on whatever makes us happy in the moment (beer and pizza?), which is what most of us tend to do. Take your pick and have fun! Lowenbrau with a pepperoni pineapple pizza sounds pretty good right about now.....

I'm watching the Cubs and waiting for a pizza to arrive as I write this.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
When I'm looking for gear that I think will work well for me, I usually visit www.gearjunkies.com and read some of the threads... the opinions are as varied as the day is long, but it gives me a place to start and some names to work with.

Thanks for the tip, Brian. I'll definitely check out gearjunkies.

And then I'll start buying stuff willy nilly!
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC wrote:
know that I've heard myself sound a little bolder and deeper through mics at professional recording studios.

I'm sure there were more differences than just the mic, though. Smile

edited to correct quotation...oops! Wink

Last edited by Bill on Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Bill -- that quote was not from me, it was a comment written to me.

I do not have that deep down ballsy voice of god set of pipes that some covet and envy so much, and I do not try to force it or pretend that I do. I strive for crisp and clean, but usually end up settling for something less.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony - It has been said by many great VO talent that you need to send raw audio to professional studios and let them take care of the processing. So, buy the best mic you can afford. And if you can't find the best mic in your price range, save up to buy the best mic you can afford. (you get my point?) There is a reason the U87 and MKH-416 are the standards in the industry.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pre-amp that would do a nice job but for the fact that it spends 99% of its' life in BY-PASS.

There are probably 3 reasons for shopping off (industry standards) catalogue.

1 -Cost
2- You know better than the industry
3- You've worked using the industry standard models and have been told you
sound better on something else.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Phil,

I was just wondering how your new sextophonic headphone arrangement is working out for you? I never thought that the cheaks would be a good conductor of sound, but the adams apple... now that one makes sense to me. Bitchin

I guess you've had to move them from away from your ears??? Too much echo coming from between them? Wink

For those of you who don't have a clue what I'm talking about... check out Phil's new avatar!

Sorry for the post hijack TC!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: