VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File size issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: File size issues Reply with quote

DB, your already aware of this
I recorded a minute long spor to post in Goldwave yesterday Saved it as an MP3 Layer 3 ACM 44100 Hz 128 Bps joint stereo and it saved taking up 4.45MB. that's an awful lot of memory but I'm not sure why it's doing it, any ideas?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that Joint Stereo thing--
The file size is much smaller with STEREO INTERLEAVED.
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB
I check the settings it has a number of Hz settings and BPm rates but all it gives me is mono or joint stereo on all of them
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44100 is the number of samples per second.

I don't use your audio app, so I can't give you any assistance!
It's frustrating and I'm sorry.
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB
That's fine I appreciate your help, I know that Don Randall does use Goldwave, I might reference this post and see if he has any thoughts
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: File size issues Reply with quote

Apageloman wrote:
DB, your already aware of this
I recorded a minute long spor to post in Goldwave yesterday Saved it as an MP3 Layer 3 ACM 44100 Hz 128 Bps joint stereo and it saved taking up 4.45MB. that's an awful lot of memory but I'm not sure why it's doing it, any ideas?

Not totally sure what the question is... but I'll toss this into the mix:

4.45MB for a one minute file is about right for joint stereo...it would be smaller if it were saved as a mono file. So, unless you have been instructed to deliver the file as joint stereo ( I've only had one request this year so far) there's not any real "advantage" to recording a dry read that way that I'm aware of.

Not familiar with GoldWAve (several folks on the board swear by it) but I can't image there not being a preference/set-up option that would default to mono or whatever IF that's what you're trying to figure out.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apageloman,

Indeed, Don Randall is the GoldWave guru on this board. I use GodlWave too, and have turned to him several times for problem-solving.

If you don't hear from him after private messaging, I'll work with you on it. 'Just don't have it in front of me right now.

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little playing around and I discovered that a 60 sec .wav in stereo as a PCM 16 bit file ends up as 10 MB. Converting to a 128 mp3 took it down to 1 MB.

Now, if all that techno speak made it look like I understand it or know what I'm talking about - well, I should just stop now and leave it at that! BUT - - and there is always a BUT somewhere - - I will confess that I really do not.

Here is something you might look at: Up at the top of the Goldwave Box, find Options > File Formats > Default Save. Now, you will have two drop down boxes, one is "Save As Type" and you probably want to select .wav but can choose from any number of others if you prefer. The second drop down box is "Attributes" you probably want to select "Signed 16 Bit" and you have the option to select Stereo or Mono variation on that or you can also select from one of the other available options if you prefer.

Another possibility is to look at how you are processing your file size compression (not audio compression) - Open Goldwave, then > File > Batch Processing > select the tab labeled "Convert". Now, look for the two drop down boxes. The first is labeled "Save As Type". Select MPEG Audio (mp3). The second drop down box is Labeled "attributes". Select "Layer 3, 44100Hz, 128kbps. You can choose either stereo or mono and from many other bit rates if you prefer. You should also be able to choose from a large number of other options as well.

Now - here is something that may come up. Mp3 conversion is not native to Goldwave, something to do with paying for the rights to include it in the software. If the above does not seem to work for some reason, you will need to download the necessary files - and it has been so long now that I have forgotten where to direct you to find them - - ooh ooh - - I just remembered, just type "razor lame" into a search engine and navigate to the the Razor Lame website and download the files. The next time you open Goldwave, it should pick up the files so that you can use them as I described. If not, you may have to reboot your computer.

Good luck - lemme know if any of this worked for ya.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be way off base, but since your mp3 is something like 11 times bigger than it should be I had a thought.

Is it possible that you've accidentally told Goldwave to save FILENAME.mp3 as a wave file? I did that once in Audition and it defaulted to saving mp3 extensions as .wav files.'

EDIT: I confused posts. I thought your mp3 was 10 meg. Anyway, DB is right below, see her post.

Last edited by Hart on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a client last week ask me to please stop sending MP3s.

Said he now wanted WAV files beacuase they are much smaller and easier to manipulate. Shocked
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoiceTom wrote:

Said he now wanted WAV files beacuase they are much smaller and easier to manipulate. Shocked

Wow-- that's a techno WTF.

A megabyte a minute. That's what you can expect with a correctly-compressed 128K MP3.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
VoiceTom wrote:

Not entirely... I'm not completely clear on the file types...but I ran into this about a month ago. And sure enough there is a compressed WAV file type. It's still a WAV but compressed as much as an MP3. I would tell you more but I'm already in over my head. Some of our resident techno-greats will have to weigh in now.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Deirdre wrote:
VoiceTom wrote:

Not entirely... I'm not completely clear on the file types...but I ran into this about a month ago. And sure enough there is a compressed WAV file type. It's still a WAV but compressed as much as an MP3. I would tell you more but I'm already in over my head. Some of our resident techno-greats will have to weigh in now.

Hmmmm...

Well if that's what he's wanting, it's certainly not what he's getting. Laugh
Apageloman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I'm an idot at times
Guys y'all aren't gonna believe this a one minute spot I typically set up goldwave for 5 minutes of record time so that if I feel a need to go back and redo something to paste together at a later time I don't have to go back and reset the recording. so I finished the one minute spot....and forgot to cut off the extra time (4 minutes) Lord is my face red!!!!

Thanks anyway
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one. It happens. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: