VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Newbie to VO-BB says Hello!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: A Newbie to VO-BB says Hello! Reply with quote

Hello. My name is Stephen Kingsley. I'm an old radio dog and news reporter with a small amount of VO experience. I host a hunting program that's on the Men's channel a couple of times a week. I padded a small closet with carpet and bought a Rode NTK mic. I have a M-Audio interface and Adobe Audion software.

I haven't done a demo yet - and, I'd love your suggestions. I've listened to a lot of them and think I've got a general idea of what should go into it. Can I just write my own scripts? And, if I do is it 'wrong' to use trade names?

I posted a sample of my narration of the hunting show so you can hear it. Does the mic and room sound good enough to do my demo here, or should I go hire a studio?

http://www.stevekingsley.com/narration.html

Thanks for the imput. I've been working my way through the BB and learning as I read.

Best wishes,

Stephen
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing your own scripts only works well if you're a professional copywriter, and sometimes not even then.

You're far better off lifting copy from magazine ads or transcribing some of your favorite television and/or radio ads.

You want to avoid stuff that is associated with a spokesperson or signature voice, but otherwise, all's fair in love and war and VO demos.

It's always preferable to have a producer if you can afford it and it's someone you can trust.-- it gives you a 2nd set of ears and a new perspective.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Stephen....I'm sure you'll find lots of answers in this forum, and we'll also benefit greatly from your presence.

I've got a very similar set-up as yours, M-Audio, etc., and it sounds like what you have is more than adequate for most work.

DB is all-around goddess and supernatural wise being here, so whatever she says is pretty much gospel. ;-}

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome aboard, Stephen!

There are several "old radio dogs" round these parts (plus a few news people as well). If you can, never produce your own demo; once you find your true voice in this form of acting, you should always have input, but in terms of producing a demo, I'd leave that to someone else so that you can always be in the moment - trying to be engineer/editor and voice-over actor really does take you out of it.

Best wishes - you're in the right place.

-Anthony
StephenK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I think I know someone who'll be able to do the production for me on my demo. BTW, I posted the wrong URL above. Here's the right one. This has the sample of the hunting show.

http://www.stevekingsley.com/narration1.html

Stephen
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the VO-BB, Stephen. I hope you enjoy perusing through the archives. (Someday... some newbie will put all this info into a book... sell it like hotcakes,,, and never touch a microphone.) You have a very impressive website, and I noticed that you're not one to hide your candle.
Wink
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Stephen! Glad to have you aboard the board Wink

I also did some vo work (narration) for a hunting show last year, but on the Outdoor Channel.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Stephen!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Apageloman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Stephen-
As one with a similar academic background (Ministry and Music) I wish you well in the new endeavor. Really appreciated seeing you lift up family too, Your quiver is full brother! Anyway, welcome
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Stephen. Lots of great folks & info here. I think you'll enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: