VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So how do we keep fit?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: So how do we keep fit? Reply with quote

If this has been explored before, apologies.

Recently me and the missus have taken up Pilates. Just 15 minutes a day - nothing too arduous. We're about six weeks in now, but after only a week or so I began to see major work benefits in terms of increased stamina and better breath control. Same for Emma.

So what's your view about physical fitness and how it relates to what we do? Anyone else doing Pilates or Yoga? What's your thing?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say having two Border Collies helps me a great deal but more important for me was introducing myself to the local authority gym in Buckie .

In early July I could not run the length of a bus let alone after a bus. 7 months later a 20 min run at 10kmph is hard work yet not impossible plus I do curls, rowing, weights, pecs, tex mex, Ant and Decs. Stamina is up, weight is down, waist is 2 inches less, lung capacity is 867 cubic ft (estimate) and I am now irresistible to Ukranian models who enjoy discussing work permits and Visas for some reason.

Apart from work it is vital that I get the fat and inches off, because of my metabolism I'm in deep sh*t if I don't, a hole of it about 6ft 6 deep to be exact.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, good on you for staying active.

As for me: Four years of devouring nutritional information and different types of training regimes ensure that I stay skinny. Heart rate of 50 a while back. That went down the porcelain after an operation.

Wondering about picking up some yoga-like training to limber up the body for theater and related things.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardio is big for me. Cycling on the road or in the woods. Great for overall health and well being....and a great way to clear the head mid-day if you can get out then.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as nutrition: the wife and I juice almost every night (a great, FUN and hugely inspirational movie I recommend that everyone watch is "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead")

During the good months I road-bike 50-100 miles a week.

Last summer I joined a local gym, play racquetball every Friday morning, and 2-3 times a week I do a 1-1.5 hour workout that includes 30 minutes on the Jacob's ladder and an hour on an elliptical. I prefer an early morning workout where I can be back home and working by about 9 a.m. but that doesn't always happen! Wink

I'm 57, am holding steady at 170 - almost my college weight - and feel better than I have in my entire life.

www.voicebyscott.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think about working out all the time, constantly imagining myself in better shape. i think it's working. i try to lift heavy things a lot ... mostly bending at the waist and lifting with my back. i do the stairs several times a day - there are seven of them between me and the refrigerator. since i don't believe i'll ever make enough money to retire, i plan to pass about the time the cash runs out ... which could really be any day now.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am full of good intentions... but in reality I'm more like Todd. I've always been blessed with rude good health, but as I get older my "eat, drink, and smoke what I want" lifestyle is starting to cause some fraying around the edges. Maybe what I really need is someone giving it to me straight (much as Philip has described elsewhere)... but ignorance is bliss.

However, to try and increase my stamina (which is really important for long-form narration), I've changed my morning routine from catching up on my tech podcasts while sitting at the computer, to doing the same while on the treadmill. I'm up to a brisk 40 minute walk at the moment... which is 100% more than I was doing before.

Apart from the stamina thing, it's started to have a small, but perceptible effect on the beer and pie repository around my waist. Anything that increases your physical well-being is going to have a beneficial effect on your vocal performance... I just wish I was more diligent about it.
Lisa
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great topic.
My goal every week is to get in five aerobic hours and three or more free-weight lifts. Not easy to do but makes a huge difference in how I feel the rest of the week.

Ironically, the weeks I'm doing exceptionally well with voice work affects how much time I have left to devote to exercise. (In addition to juggling all of the rest of my responsibilities in life.)

When this happens, I take breaks from my booth and walk a quick mile or do a few sets with weights. A nice way to come back to the mic with new eyes so to speak.

I also have the added incentive of keeping up with a busy household and fighting osteoporosis which runs in my family. Weight bearing exercise is essential to that.

I came across this info-graphic last year and it speaks volumes:
http://bit.ly/j5dWek
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - and scary - graphic, Lisa. What's scary is that according to that chart even all my exercise isn't offsetting the hours in the chair. Yikes. And the statement - that we already pretty much knew - that one in 3 adults are obese. Actually, I'd bet it's higher than that.

Another thought for those who may be considering exercise - try to choose something low-impact, especially if you're older. I cringe at all the runners out there knowing what it's ultimately doing to their knees, ankles and cartilage. That's why I love biking so much.

www.voicebyscott.com
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a NordicTrack elliptical for a few years, and last year we added one of their stationary bikes for variety. 30-45 minutes most days, a great way to knock a tv show or 2 off the DVR!
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to eat right, I've stopped drinking beer and stick to a glass of wine or good scotch.

we spin in the morning for about half an hour, and I generally walk or ride a bike on campus.

I want to ride my old road bike more, and I'm making baby steps to getting that back in riding condition...

I have full access to a gym and just can't convince my brain to go there. I can even take an hour out of my work day to go to the gym. It's in my contract, and still.... I don't go.

Just thinking about it right now, all I want to do is take a nap. lizard brain takes over seeking sunlight and a warm rock...

www.monksvoice.com
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tread Mill for me. Got it in Jan of 2011 walking for at least 30 min each day.

Down 2 inches in waste and 24 lb in weight.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you guys! Keep going!

I have been on a long-term weightloss program since a nasty case of food poisoning laid me low the last week of December 2010. The docs immediately put me on low-fat, low cholesterol, low-everything diets, and only in the past few months have I been able to get BACK to things like cheese, etc. But, during the past year I've lost about 56 pounds.

Supplementing that is a daily 35- to 40-minute workout on the Nordic Track (low impact), and several times a week, weather permitting, I hike around here. We live at 9200 feet, so not only have I had to do the weight loss thing, but I've had to do it while acclimating to that altitude.

The cardio has made an immediate difference in my breath control (I'm a former singer, so went back to some of those breath exercises, which help in delivery), and I no longer wheeze or even get very much winded up here. I can hear a difference in my reads due to the better cardio and respiratory conditioning.

The DH joined me on the diet, which is now simply a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, and he's on his way to weight loss, too.

So, it CAN be done. And, as others have attested here, it's essential to keep one out of that proverbial deep hole as long as possible. Wink
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff here! Congrats to all who are making healthy lifestyle choices, especially you, Ed, on your losses.

www.voicebyscott.com
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, what kind of treadmill did you get? We've been thinking of getting one, but so far all we've seen are these monster behemoths like you see in the health clubs, and I was looking for something that would fit into a smaller footprint than "aircraft carrier" size. Wink

c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: