VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

well, had my first lesson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gswartz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: well, had my first lesson Reply with quote

Well as some of you may remember, I was to have my first VO lesson on Wednesday night. I met with Jean and it went very well. It's obvious she's had plenty of experience with this. But, as we were talking, she was talking about unions and how I should join one as soon as I can. She said that the union wants you to make at least 10K a year which made me think, well, why wouldn't I be making more than 10K if I was doing this full time.? She said that no one does VO full time. The internet has pretty much killed full time VO careers. She used to do 4 spots a week and now she's doing around 4 every month and a half. It really discouraged me to think that all of the time and practicing I'm putting into it will hardly yield anything. Are most of you union or not? Before deciding not to continue with this, I'd like hear what the rest of you think about her comments and what your experience is. Is it really that difficult to make a good income (even side income) doing VO? Thanks.
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me think of a quote I came across several years ago:

"Those that can do, do. Those that can't, teach."

This certainly DOESN'T apply for most teachers/instructors but thorough investigation and analysis is a must when looking at any training or educational institution. 4 gigs a month?? Gasp I would go somewhere else for training....FAST.

Last edited by JeffK on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Geoff!

Congrats on your first VO lesson.

To join or not to join...that is the question! If you ask ten people you'll get twelve different answers. In the ten years I've been pursuing voiceovers I've never been offered a union job nor have I felt the need to join SAG or AFTRA to get more work. I, like many people on this forum, get most of their gigs without an agent or a union. I think the answer is...it depends! It depends on whether you can get enough union gigs to cover the dues (I think they're around $2000?) and pay your bills. For someone who's just starting out (like you) I would wait. You may never need to join.

"No one does VO's full-time" and "the internet has killed full time voiceover careers", huh? I can't say I agree with either of those statements. The internet has actually enhanced my VO career! Now you can market yourself, submit demos, audition, and book without leaving your home. In the past two weeks I've done three VO's for UCLA and one for a teacher in Japan and I live in New Jersey. How could I do that without the internet? On top of that, with the internet now there are many more opportunities to find work through onlne commericals, tutorials, internet radio stations, etc.

To make a good income doing VO's you have to do the same things as any other self-employed person: have a good product, market & network aggressively, take care of your clients, monitor your cash flow, and FOLLOW UP! Some people succeed and some fail. The only way to find out is to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord-- People like this make me cranky.

It DOES bring out the old "those who can't-- teach" adage as Jeff points out.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. She may be a good voice instuctor, but do not listen to anything else she has to say. It sounds like she is living in her glory days and not in the present.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run, dude! And as fast as you can, please!

EVERY industry has been changed by the internet - yes, those who refuse to market themselves, take advantage of new technologies, and still rely on their agents to get them all of their work have definitely a gloom outlook on v-o's... so some may turn to teaching Wink

-Anthony

EDIT: Just a note - I know a guy right here in NY that made 1,000,000 about two years ago... last year he made "only" 400,000! The horror! He should get another job to supplement his income Ninja
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, like the others said. I rather fashon myself an Internet marketing ho. Or like a former boss used to tell me, "Either you're on my bus or under it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, Drew-- must you say "Ho"?

How about an Internet Marketing Used Car Salesman?

I kid, I kid.

The internet is our playground. The possibilites are endless if you are willing to network your ass off.

I'm an Internet marketing Ass-worker-offer.
gswartz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies. One more question. I've read about how since the internet makes it so easy to find talent and because of this, many producers are going with "acceptable" voices, they're nickel and diming talent down to 20-30 for a :30 spot. Is this what most of you experience? Or is that only what you normally get when receiving inquiries from places like voices123, etc? My time is worth more than that. Thanks.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our time had sure as hell be worth more than a couple of ten spots. There's good and bad regarding playing VO ball on the web. Yes indeedy, virtual casting platforms attract low ball clients looking for the "dollah a hollah" VO. They also attract some purdy good ones, too. Just gotta stick more than your toe in the cyber pool and swim around. Before long you'll hit that "warm spot" in the water and know you're dealing with a pisser client who ain't worth the spit on your mic. And after some time, you recognize 'em before you ever swim in the "warm spot" and you'll know that's a part of the pool from which to stay away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are sites out there with "bargain bins" that offer to pay you $15 a :30. Take it if you want I suppose. My time and my talent are worth way more than that.
scooter2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: deedee@imi99.com Reply with quote

ya gotta have heart, ya gotta have persistance, ya gotta have passion and ya gotta have enough smarts to stay away from any "instructor" who spends the first session with negatives and warnings.

The v-o business is alive and well and there are many who do it full time and there are many who make big bucks doing so.

There are of course the "others" who just do allright and as in any business there are those who can't make the cut. I believe the individual makes that decsion.

There are those who are cool, cooler, the coldest and then there are them's that are hotter than a pistol.

As for unions, Worry about that after you've gotton your feet wet while using your moist vocal chords.

scooter

And that's my say for this day.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: deedee@imi99.com Reply with quote

scooter2 wrote:
ya gotta have heart, ya gotta have persistance, ya gotta have passion .

I don't think it could have been said any better. You've gotta love every aspect of this business. Everything from actually doing the VO to making contacts to practicing your a$$ off. If you just put up a website and sit there, you're never gonna get any work. You gotta build the building before you can move in. It all goes hand in hand. Main thing is DON'T GIVE UP, keep pounding the pavement and making the calls. One thing I've realized is it takes time to grow in this business. It doesn't happen over night. As far as the instructer telling you that nobody does VO fulltime, there's plenty of people on this board, myself included, that'll tell you different. Plus it's the BEST FREAKIN' JOB IN THE WORLD! Bitchin Gotta love it!
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: deedee@imi99.com Reply with quote

scooter2 wrote:
ya gotta have heart, ya gotta have persistance, ya gotta have passion and ya gotta have enough smarts to stay away from any "instructor" who spends the first session with negatives and warnings.

I'll second what scooter said. I took two classes with Lainie Frasier here in Austin this spring and her overall message is that you have to get out and hustle and sell yourself ALL the time. I can't think of one negative thing she said during the entire workshop, in fact. There were a lot of reality checks, but otherwise, she made no presuppositions about you and taught each of us to work with what he have. (My life assignment was to slow down and de-radiofy myself...) Someday soon, I'll share a demo with you guys (instead of just lurking...).
VO-BB Member #59
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: deedee@imi99.com Reply with quote

glittlefield wrote:
(My life assignment was to slow down and de-radiofy myself...) Someday soon, I'll share a demo with you guys (instead of just lurking...).

Several of us here have to work on "de-radiofy-ing" ourselves.

Share some demos. We'd love to hear them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: