VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing out cables
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Changing out cables Reply with quote

Do XLR and firewire cables have a "shelf life"? Can they start to cause buzz and hum if they get too old?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XLR cables certainly can go out, but the reason is usually the wear and tear of setting up and tearing down equipment. Sitting still for years at a time in a studio environment shouldn't (in theory) cause them to go bad.

HOWEVER, I've now had two Firewire cables go bad just sitting there, plugged into their respective slots. I've built quite a collection of new and slightly used ones over the years, so there's always a spare sitting around.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bruce! I ask because my firewire cable is about six years old and since it's too long (six feet and it should be three), it's pretty kinked up. I just cranked up my monitor and moved the firewire around and there definitely is a high-pitched hum that comes and goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce is right for the most part.... The materials in most cables.... XLR, Firewire, USB, etc... are durable enough that time is not likely to degrade them significantly.

HOWEVER.... Mishandled cables get damaged. Pull on the cable instead of the connector? Too short a cable? Twisted and kinked? These and other physical abuses can shorten the life of your cables and their connectors.

Secondly.... dust, moisture, smoke (shame on you...), and other environmental factors (coffee and soda spills!!!) can degrade the physical connection between your cables and your gear. Unplug and clean your connectors once in a while, blow out the dust, make sure the pins and contacts are free from corrosion, use an APPROVED cleaner if necessary, and replace questionable components when they show signs of wear, corrosion, or poor fit.

A little regular housekeeping can go a long way to making your gear and your audio chain more stable and more trouble-free.

Your gear, your audio, and your work will thank you for it....
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don!
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Staples & Radio Shack and neither store carries them! They said that firewire is outdated and they use some new connector but I didn't catch the name. My Presonus Inspire 1394 still works perfectly and I don't wanna buy a new sound card so I guess I'll have to snoop around online to buy a firewire cable...
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, lots of good info already given. As far as getting new cables (any new cables) you could do a lot worse than monoprice.com ... their range is immense, and their prices are the best.
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trend is fast becoming USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt (Apple's take on LightPeak technology).

If you were looking for a Firewire 400 cable (which is my guess) you were more likely to hear they didn't carry them, but all Mac's currently ship with Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 ports, so they should still have those.

I agree Monoprice would be a good way to go online.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW my firewire cable was TWELVE feet long, not. It was all kinds of kinked up!

I went to a friend's studio last week and he gave me two cables. One is your classic transparent firewire cable. The other is black and much thinner with more prominent contact point. I plugged in the latter but I haven't heard a noticeable reduction in hum or buzz. I may have to replace the whole thing, but I'd hate to stop using a perfectly good $500 sound card just because the port is outdated...
sounddguy
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing out cables Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
Do XLR and firewire cables have a "shelf life"? Can they start to cause buzz and hum if they get too old?

The connectors can build up an oxidation layer that can cause problems.
Usually unplugging and re-plugging will clean the contacts.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found, over the years, that dirty contacts, like so many of life's other problems, can be fixed with alcohol.
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be the actual cables themselves, but rather lines too close to interfering sources or a grounding issue. (For example if an XLR cable is close to or overlapping a power cable, or even a ground loop.)

Here's a link with general tips on isolating the possible source of the issue: http://www.recordingstudioexperts.com/general/Q_26212759-How-can-I-eliminate-hum-and-buzz-in-my-home-recording-studio-setup.jsp
roger
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
I have found, over the years, that dirty contacts, like so many of life's other problems, can be fixed with alcohol.

Peter,
Are we talking about using it as a solvent or as a means to forget about the problem?
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. AESOP (The Lion and the Mouse)
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both can work Smile

... but remember that the two different types of alcohol are not interchangeable. While it's possible to use a suitable drinking alcohol (good vodka or polish spirit) as an effective contact cleaner, you are going to buy yourself a world of pain if you start knocking-back the isopropyl!
Charles Nove
Contributor III

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, quarter-inch jacks are particularly prone to contact oxidisation problems. XLRs much less so. Always worth re-seating connectors, if there's an unexpected buzz, hum or crackle.

Dirty Jack may be an ideal name for a character in a pirate movie, but he's also an irritating scoundrel who has attempted to ruin many a session or broadcast.

www.charlesnove.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: