VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A MATTER OF MICS II

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for resurrecting an old post...

Bob Souer wrote:
Quote:
I too use a single mike for essentially all of my work, an Audio Technica AT-4033. (Condenser)

Bob, I was shocked that you used this mic. So many pros seem to use such expensive microphones and they are out of my budget range at present. I recently picked up a used AT4033 on eBay.

I really like the microphone, but am having some issues with sibilance with it. It may just be my voice, but I get kind of harsh tones out of it on the high end on sibilant sounds. I know some mics just sound great with certain voices, but I was wondering if you'd ever encountered this with that mic or had any advice? (Outside of spending 3 or 4 grand...) Wink
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benjamin,

Actually, now I use a Sennheiser 416 for all of my work; but your question is based on that quote from this old thread.

I have always like the AT-4033 and never had a problem with sibilance with it. I think for the money, it's a terrific microphone. Maybe I'm way off base, but I think any decent microphone and audio interface will work. It's the stories that matter, and our telling of them. Anything that doesn't prevent the clear recording of those stories will do quite well.

(Just so you know for the future, when you find a really old thread like this to which you want to respond, you might want to start a new thread to ask your question with a link back to the old thread, if needed.)
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bob! I'll be sure to do that in the future.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a thread this old is raised from the dead... Necro.

but I love talking microphones.

Basically what Philip said way back when holds true for now, U87 rules. For many others the 416 is solid.

And of course the RE-20 can handle some abuse and road work.

The trick is, the better the microphone, the better your space should be. You put a U87 in the kitchen, you'll hear the fridge, drip, cat next door...

For that mic, you need a GOOD room.

The 416 is more focused, but if you start to amp up your delivery, "Sunday Sunday Sunday!" then the room will be heard.

I'm a fan of Oktavia Mod's and the Rode NT1a as a decent starter, but once again, it's TRYING to be a U87. It will want to be in a good room as well.

So, you have a couple things to think about. What mic sounds good with your voice, and what kind of room are you recording in. I work with an engineer who sometimes can care less if you can hear the clock ticking, the client is cheap and just wants it done. (I don't like working that way)

I'm building up my space to handle my U87. After FaffCon, I'm upping my game, I love this work, have been getting busier and need a dedicated space as opposed to rushing the dog chewing the bone out of the room whenever I need to say, "Call 1800, 555,1212, once again that's ..."

www.monksvoice.com
Benjamin Stovall
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this, Monk. I also read your reply in the new thread I started. Both were really helpful.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: