VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Promoting your ACX Royalty Share book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Promoting your ACX Royalty Share book Reply with quote

Since future income from a title is affected by how many people know it exists, I'm just wondering what y'all are doing to get the word out. So far, I'm emailing and facebooking and generally making a nuisance of myself at social gatherings.
I also generated a QR code link to the title's page on Audible which will go on the back of my biz card (as a sticker), and I'm printing it large to put in the back window of my car.
Thoughts?

Donna Postel
donnapostel.com
donna@donnapostel.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really doing much of anything. I post them on the social network sites when they first come out, but I don't expect my friends and family to buy them in any noticeable numbers.

Unless you (I mean the royal you, not you, Donna) are a big name narrator, the likelihood of anyone listening to the book simply because you narrated it, is pretty slim. People read books because they're interested in the subject, genre or the author. Sure, you can help get the word out, but given your role, you're not the best person for it.

More than likely, the author is going to be the main marketing vehicle, as it should be. And this, again, is one more reason to do research on the book before you audition. Find out how the author/publisher is going to support the book. Find out sales numbers of other formats. Information is key before you commit.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Jeff that Facebook & Twitter announcements are very good for keeping a higher profile within the VO community, and provide (to those who are interested) a nice little update regarding your work. I doubt that they generate a single sale though.

On the other hand... an author may have a following who would happily purchase the book in audio form. I'm about to record a couple of children's books for an author who is very active (and savvy) on social media... the main character of the book has his own Twitter account with around 750 followers. There is already a web-site for the books, and I quite happily re-voiced an animated trailer to get the word out that audiobooks are coming. If these don't sell, it certainly won't be for lack of effort!

The author/publisher is the key to motivating the existing user/fan base, what the narrator can add is limited.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The return on time invested will, most likely, not make it worth it. The ones I choose to do had a stipend attached to it, so it somewhat compensates for time and, per ACX, they've selected those they expect to do "well" (although I'm sure the term "well" is relative.)

I'll announce it once they're released, but that's it.

-Anthony
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially announce it via F.B. and e-mail when a new one hits audible.com, but then I let it drop. However, as you'll see below, I also add it to my signature line of everything I send out.

My wife is a big fan of audible - has been for years. The way she searches for new titles to listen to is by recent release, highest rated and, of course, subject matter.

It's a crap shoot. I, too, am happy to have landed a couple with the stipend attached, but my thinking is that if you have enough narrations out there, after a while all those little eggs (i.e., royalty checks) will eventually start to add up. Soon I'll have 5 narrations out there and intend to keep going. After a while those little quarterly checks might actually buy me a tank of gas or two! Wink

www.voicebyscott.com
whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great narrator + bad book = bad book

average narrator + great book = great book

Someone hit it right on. It's all about the writing first and foremost. I would love to think a great narrator could make a bad book good, but...

There are some wonderful books which will never have a large audience with either ears or eyes as the market is large and crowded. There are poorly written stories which ride the wave of a popular genre and do well despite the writing and then there are those books which arrive at the right place and right time and it literally goes viral with very little push.

Social media plays such a small part in the total equation IMHO, I would prefer to have a publishing or audiobook company with a marketing budget and many contacts in the distribution pipe take care of getting the word out on a project.
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or sometimes a perfectly wonderful book just has no mass market appeal. Even if the book has healthy print sales, that is not always an indicator it will do well in audio. Especially if the genre is "literary" -- those readers tend to be very conservative in that they like their literature in print, and for many of them the print should be ink on paper. So one never knows.

I agree with all comments above. The publiisher/rights holder/author is better positioned to do the marketing. It's the book they're selling first and foremost. Not the narrator. We are and should be the storyteller and not the star.

I will add, however, one can do much to create a "fan base" by getting to know the audiobook bloggers and developing real relationships with them. Certain genres, such as romance and science fiction, have a loyal and active online community, and if you get into their circle, it could definitely help your sales. That, though, takes time -- and many hours of consistent online communication. And it helps, of course, if you are as sincerely interested in the genre as those communities are.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the FB and Twitter reach-outs as well. I took ACX's suggestion and made an audiobook trailer, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oe6hp7K6s4&feature=channel_video_title

It's also on Vimeo. I tried to put in some appropriate keywords and then Tweet about the trailer. It has garnered some hits and was fun to put together. I've never made a video before so it was a good learning experience. Will it garner some sales? Who knows, but it can't hurt!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, Tom, the Battlestar Galactica name itself should push books, especially if the franchise is ever revisited on TV.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're definitely right, Jeff. I'm lucky to have voiced an audiobook that's part of a major franchise, which will go a long way in terms of promotion. Do you think there is any virtue to making trailers for other audiobooks? Would it help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting together a video is great - if you can get eyeballs on it. But that just becomes one more thing you need to market.

Instead of "Come listen to the sample of my audiobook at Audible", the marketing effort is now "Take a look at my video first and then go to Audible and listen to the sample."
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on the trailer, Tom. It looks and sounds great, and you are now in possession of another mad skill. If it helps sell some more books, that's just gravy!

Donna Postel
donnapostel.com
donna@donnapostel.com
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Donna! Hey, if it makes a few more people stumble onto it, I'm all for it, too. It didn't take much effort, I added keywords, it's a fun talking point when it comes up, so there you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: