VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new set-up.....any suggestions would be appreciated.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: My new set-up.....any suggestions would be appreciated. Reply with quote

Hi all......I have been using the Samson C01U mic and am moving to a new set up. I've decided on the Studio Projects C1 microphone and the
Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro 12-Channel Mixer. However I am confused about the USB audio interface. Would any of you know what USB audio interface might compliment this setup so far? I'd really like the USB audio interface to be $400 or less. There are several to choose from but they all have mixed reviews. I know alot of you own and sometimes use the Studio Projects B1 mic....I believe the C1 is very similar with a couple added features. Based on my proposed components so far, which USB audio interfaces would you say would compliment this setup? Thanks for any help you can give. I'm planning on oredering this stuff from zzounds as soon as I know what I'm getting.
Also, if I've erred in my mic and mixer/preamp combo, please let me know.
Thanks. I run a PC with Windows XP Pro, and use Adobe Audition 2.
I currently use the new Creative X-fi Platinum PCI sound card.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular reason you've said USB and not Firewire? I generally like firewire better but that's a personal opinion.

I use the Presonus Firebox and I reccomend you check it out if you can do firewire. Great little interface, decent virtual mixer. The preamps aren't bad but I chose to bypass them in my home setup. And I see it's cheaper now than when I bought it. Oh well.

http://www.presonus.com/firebox.htm
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because my system is USB 2.0 and from reading the archives, I found out that USB 2.0 is faster than firewire. I'm not familiar at all with firewire, but am very familiar and comfortable with USB. It's just a preference I have.

**edit** Does the firebox eliminate the need for the mixer/preamp and audio interface, so that the flow goes from mic to firebox to computer? or is it mic to mixer/preamp to firebox to computer?

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Okay. I don't have any familiarity with USB interfaces but a buddy of mine got the M-Audio Mobile Pre. He had a lot of trouble setting it up. Just food for thought.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the firebox eliminate the need for the mixer/preamp and audio interface, so that the flow goes from mic to firebox to computer? or is it mic to mixer/preamp to firebox to computer?

Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be either, but that's true of any interface with mic and line inputs.

Example 1: At home I have my mic running into a tube pre, then into a compressor/gate, then into a mixer, then into the firebox, and finally into the computer. I skip the pres on the firebox and use a line input.

Example 2: When I travel, I plug my mic directly into the firebox using one of it's mic inputs and then plug the firebox into my laptop. It provides the phantom power to the mic in this setup.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG wrote:

**edit** Does the firebox eliminate the need for the mixer/preamp and audio interface, so that the flow goes from mic to firebox to computer? or is it mic to mixer/preamp to firebox to computer?

I use a Firebox also and with the Firebox you wouldn't need the board. You could run it mic>firebox>computer. To me, the less in the chain the better.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You guys! I'm not even sure if my computer supports Firewire. I'm going to have to pull it out and see if it has a Firewire connection. If not, then it kind of rules out the Firebox. However, if it does, then Firebox may be the way to go. I've seen several people use it and are very happy with it. I appreciate the suggestions. If by chance I can't go with the Firebox, any suggestions for an audio interface that would compliment my original proposed setup? The Mackie 1202 VLZ and the Studio Projects C1 cardioid Mic. I know components perform differently depending on what other components they're hooked up to. I was wondering if anyone has tried a similar setup and knows what would go nicely with the Mackie and C1.

Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: My new set-up.....any suggestions would be appreciated. Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
I know alot of you own and sometimes use the Studio Projects B1 mic....I believe the C1 is very similar with a couple added features.

Actually, I find the C1 to be quite a different beast from the B1 (I have both). Apart from the extra features you mention - a pad and a high pass filter - the sound is also quite different to my ears. As to which is better, well, that depends on how well your voice gets on with either one. Some people sound good on the C1, others sound better the B1. See if you can try both before deciding. Do a search in the rec.audio.pro group in google groups. I remember both mics being talked about extensively there.

Oh, and don't believe the hype about how a C1 sounds just like a U87. It doesn't.

Also, have you looked at the MXL mic range? I believe there are some excellent mics to be found there for a similar price.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I will check into that.

Oh Well....I checked and my puter does NOT support firewire. So the Firebox is out. Back to the Mackie and some complimentary audio interface....if I ever can figure out which one. sigh

Scottman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the sound card in your computer converts analog sources (microphones, mixers, etc.) into digital format for your computer to "read" and store it (in wave or MP3 files, etc.). That same sound card then converts that digitized data back into analog and plays it back through your speakers or headphones. A USB or firewire "interface" is basically an "external sound card" that can be used instead of your PC's internal sound card. Why would you use an external sound card (interface) when there's already one in your computer? Well, these external interfaces are typically higher quality than your PC's sound card (quieter, higher sample and bit rates), and additionally provide features such as high quality preamps, balanced microphone inputs with phantom power, headphone outputs, etc. (PC internal sound cards are getting better all the time these days.)

I too have heard that USB 2.0 is faster than firewire, but I'm not sure how significant that difference is. I use a Tascam US122 USB interface (2-channel), which is less expensive ($180 at Zzounds) than the Firebox, albeit slightly larger, and probably works every bit as well.

I've had great luck using nothing more than my Sony Vaio laptop, the Tascam US122, a microphone, headphones and/or power amp/speakers. No mixers, no preamps. The Tascam has balanced mic inputs (preamps) with phantom powering. For software, I've had good luck with the $80 Tracktion multitrack recording software from Mackie. It's awesome. (I'm a musician, so I use it for overdubbing/editing, etc.) It's full of free equalizers, compressors, time compression/stretching, reverbs - it's a very powerful recording studio, and easy to use. (The EQ is so awesome that I can make my SM58 dynamic mic sound just like a Neumann U47 studio condensor mic!)

I haven't used Adobe Audition, so don't know how many tracks you can get for keeping multiple voice "takes", but I do have an old version of Cool Edit (pre-Adobe) that can only handle two tracks at a time (stereo).

Sorry for the long-winded answer. This is my first post, so I got carried away. Hope this helps.

Scott Morrison
Santa Margarita, CA
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottman wrote:
(The EQ is so awesome that I can make my SM58 dynamic mic sound just like a Neumann U47 studio condensor mic!)

I have a tin of car wax which when applied to my Subaru makes it look just like a Bentley Continental.
Scottman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh if you like, but I respectfully contend that the difference between most microphones has much to do with the way each one treats the various frequencies, not ulike loudspeakers (a bump here, a dip there). Judicious use of one's ears and a graphic or parametric eq can go a long way in compensating for these differences. Unlike car wax applied to a car, eq can dramatically change the entire character of a microphone.

By the way, Banksey, I enjoyed your demo.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking to build the best setup I can with what I can afford (which is about 1000 bucks). I have to budget that money between a mic and whatever else I need to get the best quality recording I can. My room is taken care of, and other than constantly working to improve my delivery, I believe I've got a good voice for this, so I'm left with purchasing the equipment I need. I'm already going directly from a mic to my computer with the Samson C01U(which I've been getting by with), but I don't want to just get by. So, I've chosen a mic, and with the money left, I've chosen the preamp (which happens to be the Mackie mixer/preamp), and now I need a way to connect the mixer to the computer (which will be USB 2.0 because my computer as is does not support firewire). So, I need an audio interface. I need one that is a good quality but not only that, one that plays nicely with the Mackie, since all components regardless of stand alone quality, perform differently depending on what they are forced to play with. I am only inquiring as to whether anyone has experience with a similar setup and can recommend an audio interface that compliments the other components so I don't have to trial and error and possibly send something back. I'm just trying to utilize all resources to make an educated decision before going the trial and error method. Thank you everyone for the suggestions and info.
Scottman....Welcome to the board and thanks for your input.

Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
I need one that is a good quality but not only that, one that plays nicely with the Mackie....I am only inquiring as to whether anyone has experience with a similar setup......

I'll toss in my two cents worth regarding the Mackie mixer...

I began with a VLZ 1202 Pro when I set up my home studio and have never looked back. I do not utilize an outboard mic pre...just mic direct to the Mackie which of course supplys phantom power...Mackie out to MOTU 2408...MOTU to Mac computer. Ironically, just this Friday I had a new client tell me the quality of the audio was the best he had ever received from anyone. No bells... no whistles...just a little gentle eq with the MOTU Audio Desk software to care for a few frequencys my nature voice lacks. As someone else (welcome new guy...sorry I can't remember your name) inferred...you can spend all the money in the world on mics and still sound terrrible. This stuff is an art....not a science. Throwing money at the problem only goes so far. I know this opinion will drive a stake through the hearts of the gearheads but that's the way I see/hear it. In other words, I don't think you should give a second thought to the Mackie causing any problems no matter what other equipment you utilize.

Hmmmm...that turned out to be more than two cents worth so I'll shut up since I'm over quota.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: