VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audiobook characters and accent authenticity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Audiobook characters and accent authenticity Reply with quote

Yeah, that title is a mouthful, but so is the subject of this post.

I recently got a two-book audiobook deal (yay!), and in my conversations with the author, he decided that he wants to play with accents for some of the characters. The books are sci-fi young adult titles set in some other region of space, so there are no references to any known locations or languages. In that light, how much should I care about accent authenticity?

A couple examples: the author suggested that one character have an upper-class British accent, while for another he suggested "a more lower-class accent, that kind of 60s British Invasion rock-n-roller sound." The listener doesn't know this. They're just going to hear my take at two different British accents. If I take my best crack at them but end up crossing who-knows-how-many regional boundaries with them, does it matter, or is it enough that the voices are distinct from each other (and hopefully consistent throughout the book)?
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal opinion, not professional:

As long as it is consistent, the actual accent in itself isn't as important to me. Granted that I listen and read mostly fantasy, which gives some leeway.

I also think that the author should be serviced. It is his story and characters, after all. Perhaps give some suggestions as to what you think would be a good choice? Crudely speaking, it seems he wants one that has excellent articulation, while the other tosses his words out after having them pass through a grinder, bonesaw, and pool of sludge (heavy scouser).

2 pence and a fag worth. Wait for the other narrators to appear with their wisdom.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got two Brit accents to do, and the only reason is to differentiate between the two characters, then I wouldn't get hung up on any regional accuracy at all. My suggestion would be to select two disparate Brits and keep their characters in mind when voicing. You could try Alan Rickman vs. Jason Statham... (or maybe Jeremy Irons vs. Bob Hoskins) again, don't try impersonations, just keep them in mind and channel their "class".

Yonie's right with emphasizing consistency, but personally, I'd avoid anything demonstrably regional, especially scouse... you're all too familiar with The Beatles, and it may be one of the few regional Brit accents that Americans may be critical of, if not matching their memories of the lovable mop-tops.

But please... eradicate all thoughts of Dick Van Dyke from your mind. The cheeky chappie from Mary Poppins never happened... repeat, never happened (revisionist history at work).

Cheers
Professor Higgins
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, congrats.

Next: if it's YA and it's Sci-Fi and not taking place in the UK, just have at it and keep the characters consistent. Just keep the two voices different from each other in a manner that is appropriate for the characters. Dont' worry about accents. It's all about characters and distinct personalities in Audiobooks, no?

Furthermore, if it's YA and for a US market, you can get away with not being authentically British.

Everything that Yonie said was spot-on. If you hit it the way the author wants, then don't fret.
Diane Havens
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, Justin -- congrats! Brits in space, eh? I didn't even know they had a space program. I go with something reminiscent of Monty Python.

Veni, Vidi, Voci
http://www.dianehavens.com
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:

Yonie's right with emphasizing consistency, but personally, I'd avoid anything demonstrably regional, especially scouse...

Cheers
Professor Higgins

Oh ye gods no! I wasn't saying he should go with scouser, though it could probably be interpreted as that.

To clarify and simplify: One character articulates well, the other one bends and twists words to his liking. That's accent-wise, then come the characterisations. I could compare Received and some heavy West Country accent (probably mistaken for Irish with some Americans, due to the 'liquid' R).

If you want to hear some really good characters/accents, Jim Dale does some stellar work in his recordings of the Harry Potter books. Roy Dotrice (Song of Ice and Fire series with Game of Thrones being the first book) has some good ones as well.

Last edited by Yonie on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much Python as Izzard... the British space program is a very long ladder.
I though of another good disparate pairing, fictional this time... James Bond and Harry Palmer Smile
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies so far! Some great thoughts in there. Admittedly I have no idea what "scouse" is, so there probably isn't much danger of me hitting it accidentally...I hope... Smile

I probably should have also mentioned that these two Brit voices will also differ in other ways that should make the separation a bit easier than if I only had the accent to work with: the upper-class one is a young female, while the lower-class one is a middle-aged male.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information, Justin: "Scouse" is a colloquial term for the accent that originates in and around Liverpool.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane Havens wrote:
Brits in space, eh? I didn't even know they had a space program.

With all this tea to drink there really is only so much time left for extensive travel.

If we were told that the E-type could make the trip with the top down we may have been tempted.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I used to love the Brits in Space skits on The Muppet Show.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's science fiction, yes? It takes place in a time or Universe way beyond ours, yes? So who knows what Brit accents, or any accents, would sound like then or there? I agree that class distinction and internal attitudes would be good guides, and once you set your character, consistency is crucial. Plus if you're reading a woman's role that should rely much more on attitude too.

A tad off topic, but one of the reasons I truly enjoyed the Firefly sci-fi series was that they frequently threw in Chinese expressions amongst the English. A hint of what happened between their time and ours?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the British space program is a very long ladder.

OH MY GOD!!! You're killin' me!!!

(Visions of early Dr. Who.... Trashcan Daleks w toilet plungers)

Make 'em stop!!!!
whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
keep their characters in mind when voicing.

Yes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: