VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hearing your stuff onair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Hearing your stuff onair Reply with quote

There's nothing I love more than coming home, flipping on the radio and hearing my voice in the first commercial break ... it always feels like a "coming of age" event. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Kevin
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 30 years on the air I hardly notice my own voice. I don't really work much in my own market except once or twice a year. In February I had three tv commercials running in my own state. My niece, who lives in another town, says she turned it into a drinking game when they think they hear me. LOL Gotta call her. Haven't heard from she or her husband in a while. <g>

I did intentionally listen once when I hosted a statewide broadcast on the life of Bill Lowery. I did the voice and wanted to hear how it was put together. That was fun. I rode around in my car listening. That program cost me $15 in fuel...and by the time it was finished I was almost in Savannah! Laugh
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get a kick out of it.

You know you're on the air a lot when people start quoting commercials to you.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a TV spot here in town. It comes on every night at the same time. "Okay." My kid says. "We gotta be quiet, Dad's pimpin' lawn chemicals."
johnbailey
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny -- I get annoyed because people are always changing the stations when my spots come on! They're so used to tuning commercials out.

I generally get a kick out of hearing my stuff, but right now there's a spot running in which they crammed 15 seconds of copy into a 10 second spot. Hear I am sounding like the fast talker in those old FedEx commercials in a spot for a doctor who treats "hypertension and renal disease"! I cringe when that spot airs.
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ya just hate it when ya gotta motor through a spot? Seems like the last three I've done they wanted to pack a 60 a into a 30. Drives me nuts.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes for bad radio, too.

People hate that stuff-- 40 seconds of shit pounded into a thirty-second bag. They don't listen, the client gets no results, and decides "radio doesn't work."
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my pet peeves is reading that 40 seconds of copy in a 30 second

spot....and having the agency kick it back with a comment something like.

"Client loves your voice but....could you read it slower"? :roll:
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many of us have had to mix audio parts together fading the end of one sentence to the beginning of another just to make it fit...and sounding like a two person voiceover. <g>
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like some of the rest of you, i don't get the chance to hear my stuff on air as much as i did when i was on staff at one of the local stations.

sometimes now when i do hear something, the thrill of noticing my work is offset by my "producer" side which starts picking apart the edit or the mix.

ah well...
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local producer at a TV station just sent over the audio of spot I cut for them this week. Yuk. It was supposed to be a serious spot, but somtime after I left the session he directed, he decided to make it more upbeat. It's all chopped up, doesn't make much sense, but worst of all he used the take where I bucketed the company's name. Hey, it's invoiced. But I did email him to let him know there are better takes of the client's name. "Sounds good to me," was the reply.

This one ain't going on the keeper reel. :roll: And I'll cringe each time it comes on.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recorded my first two radio ads today, but they will air outside my area so I won't ever hear them. Not sure I'd want anybody I know to hear them-- never knew I could talk that fast and sound that "over the top". :o

I love this job.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Just a point of order Reply with quote

Make sure you get copied for the demo...always be updating :o

And congratulations on no longer being a radio virgin!

mcm wrote:
I just recorded my first two radio ads today, but they will air outside my area so I won't ever hear them. Not sure I'd want anybody I know to hear them-- never knew I could talk that fast and sound that "over the top". :o

I love this job.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you Peter! They already sent me the finished audio. And soon I will no longer be a TV virgin either since I'm doing a local cable spot next. The radio ads will air >300 miles from me but the cable ad is only 80 miles. It's creeping closer....
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

That's funny! Two things I had to learn. In television (as in dealing with the station directly) they're going to use the first version you send. Not always, but most times. And, if you don't (as in- do not) hear back from them, that's good news! They'll call if there's something that needs correcting. That took some getting used to.

Television reminds me of radio now in the way they "rush" commercials to make a deadline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: