VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first Voice123 gig
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: My first Voice123 gig Reply with quote

I booked my first Voice123 gig today! It's to narrate two videos for UCLA. It took me six weeks to book something since I became a Premium Member. Is that good? Could anyone share their booking experiences with Voice123 clients?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Voice123 gig Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
I booked my first Voice123 gig today! It's to narrate two videos for UCLA. It took me six weeks to book something since I became a Premium Member. Is that good? Could anyone share their booking experiences with Voice123 clients?

As soon as I'm fortunate enough to experience a booking experience with V123, I'll be more than happy to share it. A noticeable improvement that V123 has incorporated is the removal of on-line auditioning. I think I've noticed fewer people auditioning.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Voice123 gig Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
A noticeable improvement that V123 has incorporated is the removal of on-line auditioning. I think I've noticed fewer people auditioning.

what's this?

-Anthony
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Voice123 gig Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:
Bailey wrote:
A noticeable improvement that V123 has incorporated is the removal of on-line auditioning. I think I've noticed fewer people auditioning.

what's this?

-Anthony

They used to have an area to record a demo on the screen and it would not require anything more than a cheap mic. They took it off a few weeks ago. Now all auditions must be either the stock demo, or a recorded audition with your own equipment. Then it can be uploaded with the offer. I noticed a slight drop in the number of people who would make a custom demo for the client.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though my V123 experience is about to expire (in July, I think), I thought taking that online recording tool off was a good idea too. I haven't noticed much of a decrease in the number of custom auditions though.

Rognog, I have yet to book anything through V123.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... interesting. that feature has always been an open door for crap.

maybe time will tell and v123 will start listening to its talents... nah - maybe not.

Never booked anything through v123 - I have however been contacted directly as a result of a listing... but that was over 1 year ago.

Make sure you get a deposit, p.o., or something that will guarantee payment. also, understand that universities are notorious for slow pay - lots of red tape to get a check from them. You must stay on top of it. (That goes for government as well).

-Anthony
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already discussed invoicing and the pay cycle. They said it would take up to three weeks to get paid. I'd say that's a pretty good turnaround since it takes up to three months for some of my other clients to pay me.

So, has anyone else booked through them? Do I fall into the "even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while" category?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past couple of years I've had pretty good success at least in terms of securing a couple of long-term clients. Not so much lately. I've booked as many as 3 gigs in a week and zippo over three months. So, it's hard to say whether 6 weeks is a good or bad average. When it comes to V123 and the sheer amount of replies, all of us rodents share some vision impairment issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have a paid membership, however when I did there was not even so much as a sniff from directly through V123. That being said, I did manage to secure a couple of very profitable long-term clients through my listing. It definately paid for itself, but not in the direct manner that you would expect.

Good luck with the gig! I'll just echo Anthony's caution... you will get paid, but I'd be VERY surprised if it's within the 3-weeks that you mention. Moving into summer and the "off season" for universities, the parties that typically approve these things will be going on holidays, so it's not uncommon for the approval process to be stalled by a couple of weeks while the paperwork sits in a basket on a desk collecting dust.... Just a heads up so that you don't sweat too much when the cheque is a bit late.

HAPPY VOICING!
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah V123....what to do what to do.

I let my membership expire even though I had gotten jobs through it and its the same sort of conundrum I've always had...allowing myself to compete in a narrow forum with talents of various "experience" (so at this point in the description not too different from any other audition anywhere but here's the twist) among VO's that seem unusually desperate to low ball and clients unusually focused on looking for the lowest price versus any sort of voice quality.

I’ve made money off the site but that scenario gnaws at me. Its not the money, it’s the principle but I’m a voice actor so I’m not supposed to have any principles….you see my conundrum?

What to do, what to do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
. Its not the money, it’s the principle but I’m a voice actor so I’m not supposed to have any principles….you see my conundrum?

Hmm.

Who made that rule?

I liked the few, the VERY few gigs I got off V123--all a result of direct contact. I never won ANY of the cattle-call auditions.
By the time my year ended, I didn't really need it any more.

The Fully Principled
Deirdre
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a year's membership. I got a little action, one good steady client, a couple of ittly bitty little things that really weren't much more than something to do - - and a couple of #&^(#@%'s that wanted to play the stupid game, so I told 'em to go play with themselves.

My membership expired months ago and I haven't renewed. I can make more money at my real job - - picking up beer cans from roadside ditches.
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this discussion is here. I've been going round in my head for months trying to decide if I should get a premium membership to either V123 or IV (both of which I'm a free member of). The only thing that sucks about either one of those is that you can't answer any auditions unless you're a premium member. I think they should let free members at least answer 5 auditions a month. That would be an inticement to upgrade. . .at least it might be. It makes me sick, every day, when I log into my hotmail account and there's 50 new messages from V123 for stuff that I'd really like to, but can't audition for, just because they don't have my money. I know the old adage goes "Ya gotta spend money to make money" BUT, I also have an old adage, "Ya gotta dangle the carrot before the rabbit takes the bait". They want to make more money, they need to start dangling more carrots.

(Interesting side note, did you know Mel Blanc was allergic to raw carrots? I found that out last night when I got emailed a little mini bio of Mel.)

Well, that's enough of my ranting and raving. I wish all my friends here continued VO success. Rognog, congrats on the V123 casting! Hope I get that lucky once in my lifetime. Bitchin

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher French wrote:
It makes me sick, every day, when I log into my hotmail account and there's 50 new messages from V123 for stuff that I'd really like to, but can't audition for, just because they don't have my money.

But that is the carrot, and since I can read you drooling already I guess it's beginning to work Wink.

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Chris.

If you get a direct lead you can answer it if you're a free member (if I remember correctly - it's been sooooo long). If I were you, I'd pay for it - get the experience of choosing your auditions wisely and recording and practice. Write it off at the end of the year.

-Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: