VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Union work for non-union actor/agent?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Union work for non-union actor/agent? Reply with quote

Here's an extremely hypothetical scenario that I hope to experience someday soon. If I do, I want to know what action to take.

I'm just beginning my VO career. I've got a finished demo that I'm about to start sending to agents. Meanwhile, the studio that produced my demo likes my work and has been calling me in for auditions. Some of the jobs are non-union, some are union.

I've been told that one excellent way to start a relationship with an agent is to get a job and then call that agent and say, "Look, I've been offered a job. I don't have an agent. Can you represent me?"

So let's say this happens. I get a job, but I still have no agent, so I call an agent for representation. And let's say this happens to be union work. Can I ask a non-union agent to represent me?

Of course, I'd love to get in with a union agency, and this kind of situation would seem to be just the ticket. But realistically, I know that I'm not going to be landing a ton of union work anytime soon, being so new to the business and having so much to learn. So I'm thinking that it would be better to use that job to get in with a non-union agent, who will more likely be able to find me work in the near future, thus allowing me to get the kind of experience I'll need to someday approach the union agencies with some confidence and a body of work I can point to.

Does it/can it work that way, or am I required to work through a union agent if I'm fortunate enough to land a union job?

Thanks.

Tony
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortest answer: agents must be franchised by the union in order to represent a performer for union work.

If you get offered a union job, call a union franchised agent. You can get a list of those in your area by contacting AFTRA and/or SAG. They'll be happy to direct you to a list.

Hope this helps,

Lisa L.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Lisa.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a right to work state and the union talent agents can represent both union and non-union talent (and do) and they can deal with clients for either kind of work. Of course, full-fledged union members are not supposed to take un-approved work, so as you've indicated, postponing joining until the work level is right is a good idea.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Bruce. Union franchised agents can indeed book both kinds of work and represent both kinds of performers, but a non-union agent can't book anyone for union work. They must be franchised first. It's one of the reasons they tend to encourage talent to stay non-union or go Fi Core - so they can keep booking them. If a non-union agent represents a performer who joins the union, the agent's ability to represent that person and earn from their work is lost.

The only no-no for a union-franchised agent is (of course) booking union members for non-union work, regardless of RTW laws. Doing so would mean losing their franchise altogether.

Lisa
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisaloo wrote:

The only no-no for a union-franchised agent is (of course) booking union members for non-union work, regardless of RTW laws. Doing so would mean losing their franchise altogether.
Lisa

Ah, if only it were true. Three of the four franchised agents in this city sent their union people to all kinds of jobs during the big AFTRA talent strike several years ago. Not one fine, not one wrist slapping. They be weak puppies out here.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: