VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN Advice From Those Who Use It [Please...]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: ISDN Advice From Those Who Use It [Please...] Reply with quote

I know this discussion has been done time and time again, but unless it's recent, when it comes to technology, it's old news.

ISDN. I've been told by my agent that I need it. She says there's a lot of auditions she can't send me because I don't have it. Even though on numerous times I run to a local studio if a client needs it, she says there are clients that want the talent to have home ISDN. She said, 'If I were Rick Riley, and $3500 dropped on my desk, the first thing I'd use it towards would be ISDN."

A friend that does a lot of promo work for NBC and CBS says she's right, and if I ever want to consider promo work, it's a must. He also says he's been hearing about the death of ISDN for the last ten years and doesn't see it going away any time soon. He says there's a lot of talk about Source Connect, but ISDN is tried, true and most reliable.

I would love to do promo work, and I am doing some promos for an NBC affiliate in a medium market that I hope will open some doors. As it stands I'm full time VO, able to provide a living for my family doing such and have yet to move into ISDN. With that being said, my children would like to be able to afford shoes some day, so I should explore all avenues of income available.

My facts:

I'm in a rental home. Landlord is gracious and likes us. I plan on being here for at least two more years.

I have Comcast bundled communications, meaning my phone is coming from a cable modem, which is connected to the house phone jacks. I don't know if that matters, but if it does, the phone jacks are occupied by Comcast and not available to a 'phone' company that would provide ISDN.

I've asked Comcast about ISDN, and they said, 'what's that?' However, I've gotten that from phone people as well.

Phone service where I live in Portland, is provided by Frontier. I had them for a while and they seemed clueless about pretty much everything, so I dread dropping ISDN in their laps.

I know this is a long post, but I think these are questions those that might be able to offer advice, would ask.

My 'promo' friend says he's bought 3 Telos Zephyrs over the years, recommends them and gave me his contact at Broadcast General Store.

Now I'm asking you for recommendations and experience in purchasing, installing and using ISDN.

If you've gotten this far... thanks for your perseverance and interest. Your help will be very much appreciated.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Immer at Digifon
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the logistics of the US phone system but for VO work ISDN is not going any where any time soon.

If you are a working VO now, making a living, then ISDN will open new doors and add to your living. My first ISDN job next week is for TV promos and it's an ISDN session, my first job yesterday was ...a TV promo session .....I see a pattern here, I think I'm going to get into TV promo work!
Zak Miller
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting isdn installed is an interesting process.

Do you have ATT out there? If so, contact them and you will save a ton of explanation time as to what ISDN is and what it is used for.

Rick, I could go on and on about the process, but I will try to be as short winded as possible.

Best isdn box for the money is a Telos Xtreme. It is user friendly, and when they do decide to open the band width enough to have stable vo-ip for sessions the Xtreme already has the static ip set up.

Tell the telco that you need isdn for voice over. You need voice and data going in both directions on both 'B' channels. If the reply you get from the person at the telco is "ok, we can do that" go with that company!

I have been using isdn since Adam had a house cat and the word has always been that isdn is out dated and on its last legs. Not true. However, that being said... the telcos are no longer making new switch cards. They are refurbing the old cards. This may lend itself to the dying rumors.

ISDN is stable and I think is a great investment in your company.

Think about this.... you get an audition, or a gig... travel say 30 minutes to get to the studio in your area that has isdn. You do the gig, or audition and have a 30 minute drive home. Right there is one hour that you have lost in your day that could have been filled with another gig, billing, and or auditions. (And we all know that leaving a studio straight after a gig is next to impossible.)

If you have any questions please feel free to call (407)349.9111 or shoot me an e mail zakfoo@gmail.com.

I have helped many talent over the years set up isdn service with their telco and am more than happy to help.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The circuit for our purposes is referred to as an "ISDN-BRI". You'd need to talk to the business division of your local telco.

Another vote for Dave Immer and Digifon. His name and number are actually included in the "how to get service" section of my Telo's Zephyrs manual. He knows all of the in's and outs and the people to talk to.

Installing another phone jack in your house won't be a big deal.

One interesting small thing. Yesterdays session with Joe Cipriano....we both have ISDN...but elected to use Source Connect......no line charges of course.
It's sloooowly catching on.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Dan-O on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually in Gresham. If I give my zip, some maps have me as Portland, some as Gresham. Local service here was Verizon... sold to Frontier.

I had them for a while. Still trying to give back their modem. "Oh... you haven't recieved a 'return' box yet. We'll get you one". That's twice now. Maybe the box is worth more than their modem and they're weighing their options. If they don't want their modem back, it's up to them, but if things don't get resolved in two calls, they move down on my to-do list and up on my 'Avoid dealing with them again' list.
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISDN is a must for me. In promo, you might get a call out of nowhere that leads to 3 sessions a day. If you don't have it, you'll be scrambling to accommodate, or you won't get the call at all. It's been my experience that high end commercial work is almost all done via ISDN. Producers like to lay the VO in their timeline and call the client, sometimes with you waiting on the line during the process. I personally haven't seen a downturn yet with the technology but that's not to say it isn't going to go away at some point.

If Digifon can't work it out with your phone provider, call EDnet. They work wonders.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Rob Ellis wrote:
Dave Immer at Digifon

424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
+1

I'll add my endorsement for Dave Immer, too. Best $400 I spent in 2009 was having Dave take care of all the details getting ISDN set up in my studio as I was getting ready to move back into my house in Pittsburgh.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Qwest business office is your source for ISDN service in Portland for sure unless they just don't go where you are. Used ISDN codecs are frequently available for half the price of new on EBay and a few used pro audio sites.

Just listened to some of your demos. Yep, you'll want to have ISDN in your tool belt. I predict you'll pay off your expenses quickly.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundgun wrote:
+1
Rob Ellis wrote:
Dave Immer at Digifon

+2 on Dave Immer (and George Whittam was a BIG help as well). I just invested in ISDN this year, and it was a torturous process. But I finally have a reliable connection, and it has already opened doors across the country for me. Hang in there with the roller coaster ride you may be about to experience! And hire a pro like Dave to guide you through it.

Once you have it going, ask around to do some test runs before you roll your ISDN services out to the market. You don't want to have ANY concerns at all while you are in the booth performing, so the practice runs will help out a lot.

Good luck!!
www.tomtest.com
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 or are we at +4 by now? for Dave Immer. I actually bought my box from him as he had a used one in house. Mines a Musicam and apparently can handle VOIP if it ever works.

On a bummer note, AT&T has raised my rates for their service twice in the past 6 months. Can't get an answer why.

Now what did I come in here for?
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Dave Immer, over the weekend. I mentioned the thread I started and pointed him to it. His reply was... "Thanks for the link. I always enjoy reading good reviews about me!"

The obvious common theme here is, 'move forward with it'. Dave's prices have increased a little since Bob Souer, received his installation in 2009. It's now $500, but for a turnkey operation that, from what I've heard can be a real pain in the butt, seems like money well spent.

So ISDN for me, will be happening. Not only was all your info instrumental in making a decision, but since big expenditures in a family need to be agreed upon, having my wife read your comments sealed the deal for her as well.

Thank you all... your help is most appreciated!!!
samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck from the sidelines. I am going through another bout of ISDN envy. I hope it all goes smoothly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: