VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Agent Fees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Agent Fees Reply with quote

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

Okay, I've just had an offer from an agent for representation, but there's a catch... they want me to pay an up front $250 fee, for "the costs associated with distributing my demo"... I've always been under the impression that agents make their money when work is found, booked, performed and billed. For that they receive their 10 - 18% commission and everyone is happy. Have things changed recently and this model is becoming more accepted, or should I be warey of this one or should I crawl out from underneath my rock and ralize that this is simpy the reality of the industry, always has been and always will be?

The agency is pretty reputable, however I was kind of shocked at the fee.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Cheers,
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color me shocked.

The term "cost of doing business" comes to mind for some reason.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the agenct is not a signator, and to me one of the first questions I would ask is: "what do I get for my money"? Remember, the first thing you need to look out for is you.

You are hiring this agent to do a job, if they do not do the job, then you fire them - and get another, more qualified agent. The agent works for you, it's not you who works for the agent.

Would I pay for representation? Not on your life, or mine for that matter. I would however pay for some of the basics, such as website creation, a small fee for demo discs (if it's reasonable, as I know how much I pay to make copies) - IF I am the only one on the disc... if not I would pro-rate my money to an amount equal to my participation on the disc - but then, that is me; and other things like those... but NOT for representation.

If you have questions up front, it means that you are not likely going to be satisfied with THIS agent/agency. Move on and find one that explains WHY they are charging you and what they are charging you for - without having to make you ask.

Just a suggestion... You will do what you will do - and good luck to you.

Frank F
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, this topic came up for me a couple of months ago.

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1144&highlight=representation+fee

The agent, also reputable, was going to charge me an annual fee for representation, which included listing me on voice bank which I know is not free for them either. In addition they would charge 20% of any fees I received from work they sent me. This model does seem to be growing in popularity among non-union talent reps but it isn't the model I was looking for. Presumably you want agents all over the country, and that kind of fee can sure add up if all of them charge you something. There is no guarantee of work.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deebs, Frank and Mary,

I just spoke with another talent who I know who is also represented by this agency, and I think that it is quite possible that my $250 will serve me better if put towards other uses. It's unfortunate that things are slowly beginnning to move in this direction, but I think that the big names and well connected agencies will continue to work under the standard commission based model.

You've confirmed my thoughts, however it never hurts to bounce things off the board.

Thanks again!

Brian
audiogenic

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

If it's VOX Talent in Canada (who made a similar offer to me years ago), I wouldn't go through with it. If you want more details, you can PM me.
vogirl

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: VOX? Reply with quote

I'm guessing it's VOX as well. I emailed them a few months ago I think it was, asking about US represenation. Same thing - Linda emailed me Friday to say "We'd love to have you" - Sent me the 10 pages of paperwork and I saw the $267. fee. I asked around and no one thinks I should sign with them. For all of the exact reasons listed above.

I checked Voicebank and VOX isn't even on the Non Union agencies list. There's VOX in L.A. but that's separate.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the VOX in L.A. rox from what a couple of their talents tell me
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, you should never have to put up money to be represented by a reputable agent. They can recommend that you get better headshots or a new demo, and obviously that comes out of your pocket, but "costs to cover distrubution, etc" is a red flag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vogirl

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: No fees soon Reply with quote

Interesting - I told VOX I'd have to pass because of the fees. This is the reply I got:

"No prob, try again late 2006 as in 2007 I believe VOX will no longer be charging fees.

Thanks

Linda"

Why I don't know, I asked why and I'll let you all know what she says.
vogirl

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: VOX Reply with quote

Okay, here's why there most likely will Not be fees in the future:

"It marks the 10 year point we have been in business and we feel that we can carry the initial costs from then on and assume a little more risk.

Linda"
bisonvoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Agent Fees Reply with quote

A few years ago, I sent a demo to VOX Talent & lo & behold a contract was e-mailed to me!!!! So after 20 mins or so (this was in the days of dial-up, lol) of downloading, I had a look-see at the contract, and they requested $250 USD which at the time translated into $450 CDN before they would represent me.

So, I called a few friends & got their opinions. Also, I set up an appointment with my family lawyer just to review the contract. After he reviewed it, he mentioned that the contract was in his words "too vague". That brought up questions such as: Would I necessarily get work? and how big is the talent pool?

So, I e-mailed them back with a list of questions that the lawyer suggested I'd ask. And what I got as a reply was not overly encouraging, so I never did end up signing the contract.
Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skynet74

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put..... YOU NEVER PAY FOR AN AGENT. This is someone who is going to represent you! This is a person who has enough faith in signing you to believe that they will make money off the work they can get you.

If they are charging fees up front, then that basically says two things to me. It says that they either don't have much faith in YOU (or) they don't have much faith in their own abilitiy to get you work!

Save your Money and find a better Agent.
LaurenLee
Contributor II

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone... I've just exchanged a few emails with the folks at VOXTalent, as I've been a happy VOX camper for several years now and wanted to make sure what I was going to write here is accurate and has not changed since I signed with them. I've enjoyed a great deal of good quality, good-paying work with VOX, and their professionalism is second to none.

VOXTalent does not charge a fee, annual or otherwise, for representation. They charge a 15 per cent commission (plus GST) on jobs obtained for their people. The $250 CDN plus GST is for inclusion on their annual CD of VOX artists, a CD which VOX prepares and circulates throughout the industry, and which I've seen on the shelves at every quality studio I've worked at. Importantly to this thread -- inclusion on the CD is voluntary, and is not a prerequisite to being represented by VOX.

When they signed me, I too received the long contract, and had many questions -- they answered all of them in detail to my full satisfaction. I've not regretted my association with VOXTalent for an instant.

BTW -- I've been a full-time VO since '93.

Love to all!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: