VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

phone patch set up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathyB
Contributor III

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: phone patch set up Reply with quote

Hi All!

I would like to set up a phone patch system so that clients can direct me over the phone. I'd like to hear them through my headphones in the booth and have them hear me through their phone. Then I can send the session to the client.

Here's the equipment that I have; Mac 0sx, protools LE8, mbox mini, symmetrix processor 528E, Rane headset console, studio projects c-1 mic. The inline patch is JK Audio.

I appreciate any advice on how to set this up.

Thanks in advance

Kathy
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my unsophisticated, but workable, system. I went to Office Depot and bought a Plantronics headset for 20 bucks. It plugs into my cordless phone. When a client wants to sit in on or direct a session, he/she calls my land line, I plug the headset into the phone, and we start recording. I can hear the client in the earpiece (but not so loud that the recording would pick it up) and the client can hear me through the headset's mic. As long as I don't let the headset mic whack into the studio mic, it has worked fine.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Fran McClellan
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup was like Lee's until I bought new landline phones that (for whatever reason) did NOT have the headset jack. Now I use my bluetooth headphones with my cell phone...works like a charm (knocking on wood now Smile )

Fran
Jan Anderson
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh....this is good stuff! Keep it coming y'all!! Smile
Kristin Lennox
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had another session Wednesday through Skype, and I'm liking that option more and more. The studio called me, then called the client, and everyone was clear as a bell. I heard them in my headphones, they heard me through the microphone, and when it was all done, I uploaded the session to their FTP, and it was a beautiful thing. Smile

The only thing I can't do right now is play back for them, but I understand there is a way to do that with Skype -- and it's on my list to figure out.

Dee doo. Dee doot doot doo dee doo.

my website
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a Skype session as my basement "studio" is a dead-zone for t-mobile (otherwise the bluetooth thing would be worth trying). I simply piped the mixer output to Skype and had them back in my phones. It's easy 'cos I usually record without monitoring myself on the cans, so there's no mixing to worry about... just the Skype incoming. Before that, I just used the iPad on the music stand for audio-only Skype... works like a charm without ear-buds as long as the buggers on the other end keep quiet Smile

Cheers
Peter
BALKY
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all your replies...

my setup, I guess is complicated for you, but I will share anyway

Mixer
TELOS ONE unit

from phone to telos one then to mixer

from mixer (minus one output) that allows your voice (without a caller) go back into telos-one

Same way skype patch...

Works great!
Greeting: https://vimeo.com/216249549
Source-Connect: voservices
VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/channels/russianvoice
AUDIO: http://audio.russianvoice4u.com
agettig
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a JK Audio phone patch, but sold it when I figured out I could do it with Skype. Now then, if your Internet bandwidth and reliability are an issue, you might want to stick with the JK unit.

As Bish said, just run the mixer output to Skype. Works great. What I do is use one of the monitor buses on my board (a cheap little Behringer) to the input of my Mac. That way, the ONLY thing going down the line is my mic. I am careful not to send the computer output down the line through this bus until they want to hear it back (if they do). Otherwise, they get a terrible echo on their end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: