VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone else get this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Did anyone else get this? Reply with quote

Hi gang,

Yesterday, I stopped off at my house for a few moments to relax from all the craziness of the day (get it, mental health, craziness. . .HA!) and in my mailbox was a letter from Interactive Voices. I guess they're running some sort of special right now for becoming a premium member. I didn't really have the time to read it as I was in the middle of my day, and then I had to go to a dinner my company was having last night. I'm curious as to how many folks got this letter. I'm betting a bunch did.

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing here.

i have a "spam filter" on my snail mail box

hi, chris.

-Anthony
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, nuttin' here.
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

They must like you... I didn't get a letter and I'm a premium member expiring this month. (no intention of renewing). I did get an email asking me to renew though. Guess I wasn't worth a stamp. Foot in Mouth
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I got that letter, too.

I've watched with great interest the dialogue (debate?) on both this board and the Yahoo VO board concerning V123 and IntV -- yay or nay. I'm not paying for either service, and just when I've pretty-well decided I'm not GOING TO pay for their services, I read a posting from someone who claims it's really worked for them.

I've decided it's a highly individual decision. In an unscientific poll, I'd have to say there are probably about 20 naysayers to every cheerleader for the services.

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Doc

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the letter where the offer is an additional 3 months membership, yes I got that letter yesterday.

Things are improving there, but I still have no interest in paying someone to audition. I'm still a firm believer that these "talent databases" have the business model completely upside down. Obviously, the R & D departments of companies like these show that this is best (translated = easiest) way to make a buck.

The correct business model IMHO would be to charge the CD's and Producers the membership fee, then collect a percentage from their talent following delivery and payment.

I would be far more inclined to join under those circumstances.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would be even less likely to join/participate under those circumstances - the talent base would multiply n times so one's chances of getting the gig would be further reduced by some factor of n.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both of your thoughts, here is a third alternative... a fee for everyone. Talent, Producers. CD's, etc. (Oh, no Mr. Bill... not a fee for everyone...) Only members of the site are able to use the service.

Talent charges their negotiated fee based on industry averages/minimums or, if Talents fees are higher, the Talents standard rate; (website company) The Host takes 10% from Talent, and 10% from Producer/CD/etc.

(website company) The Host does billing and payment via PayPal. This could be automated via an SQL database... and off you go...

Oh my, does this sound like what an agent is supposed to do? Yes. So why not consider the current Talent Agent scenario a model for success or disaster, and adapt it to the 21st Century? The differences, Talent gets paid immediately at the end of the session and gets internet exposure, prior to audio being distributed. Producer/CD, etc. pays immediately. The Host gets paid immediately.

Cattle Calls can be done via iSpeek or Skype or other VOIP Service, or can be sent via the net as .mp3. Cattle Calls are limited to Talent selected by the End User or Producer/CD/ Advertising Agent, etc. Not by which of the first 1000 Talent has the lowest price. as all fees would have minimums - thus in this scenario a booking would depend upon talent - not price.

Real "auditions' can be done via iSpeek, for quality.

Of course to make things even easier - they could all use iSpeek "... it sounds this good..." for an immediate session and two-way, real-time, studio quality audio and Instant Messenger... but then again, that's wishful thinking on my part.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Sat May 20, 2006 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ensure that the amount of work isn't reduced by a factor of N the site owners would need to ensure the talent offered wasn't N E 1 who made producers say O F N L!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: