VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HI My name is....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mllong

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: HI My name is.... Reply with quote

Mary Lou and Im a soon to be voiceoveraholic...
I havent done any work yet..mostly just recording myself and sending demos on voice123..Ive read most of the comments on this site so Im not getting my hopes up.

My first intro to this field was back in high school when we did a promo for a school project. The radio guy said something to the effect that my voice was nice and he liked it. Well being 16 and silly and stuff I never pursued it then. I joined the military a few years later and became an instructor, I absolutley loved that job..I would joke that I was getting paid to talk for 6 hours a day!! Personal circumstaces and 20 years later I am now a single stay at home mom.
I have taken one 5 week intro to voice over, it was a positive experience and I feel that I can at least take a major stab at getting some jobs. I would like to take more classes, I live in central (valley) California, so If there is another good workshop that is recommended I would love to hear about it!!!
I also look forward to contributing(what little experience I have)to this board, and asking lots of advice. Everyone here seems to be supportive and love what they do!!! I do have some demos on voice 123 at http://marylong1.voice123.com/ I am interested in your comments!!!
I have my ticket and am waiting for the ride to start!!!
Mary Lou
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mary Lou,

We look forward to your contributions, 'cause we all have those to make. Watch out for a guy named Banksey, and a rascal who goes by "Doc", and you'll be OK (kidding).

I listened to some of your demos on V123, and there's much promise. Others here are more qualified to give you specifics, probably, but I'd say your biggest immediate improvement could be made in the technical quality of your recordings. (my humble observation).

All the best!

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
mllong

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to listen to me SmileSmile. I am working on the technical..would you belive my set up is a computer mic set on an upsidown ceiling light fixture??? I even made made a pop screen out of some nylon material wired around a coat hanger..thats when I knew Id gone off the deepend...
I did some research and have purchased a usb samson CO1U mic, and a REAL Popscreen and a stand (although the light fixture has the sockets to make it a cool looking lightup mic stand). I have downloaded Audacity and have used it for all the demos so far...Ive been reading all about making a booth or soundprooofing my area..thats what Ill be working on next..finding a place in the house to record...This has been fun..my son even has recorded a few things, most of the movies he watches have the behind the scenes that feature the voiceover artists. He thinks its fun too!!
Mary Lou

Last edited by mllong on Tue May 16, 2006 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to "ditto", Dave’s comments. I listened to your demos on V123. Did you make those recordings at home or in a studio? One thing I noticed was the lack of range in your voice. I'm trying to find a word, but it isn't monotone. I myself am not good at narrations. If the speaker doesn't make the words interesting, my mind tends to wander. You seem to have made some strides to get into the VO mainstream. If you hang around the VO-BB long enough, you'll find a goldmine of advice and information that money can't buy. Welcome to the forum... and don't let people like me scare you off.
Smile
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard MaryLou, you have the cream of the crop here to give you the right direction in how to present your VO talents.

Dave and Bailey have pointed out a couple of things which will help you take some of the next steps. I would like to further your learning experience with the suggestion that you might start listening intently to other Women in the business. You show the promise it needs and the drive, now hone what you have...

Each of the 'demo' pieces had what I call 'a need for some excitement', some varied delivery. Each of the 'demos' lacked a presense - make the spot yours. How do you 'hear' the spot in your mind? Now sound like what you hear in your head.

Get angry, speak fast, speak slow, speak sexy, speak like you were talking with a friend, and then do it until it becomes natural to you. Along with the above, you should look into the audio levels you have on V123, they are too varied, some are almost inaudible, some are fine...

Here on the VO-BB, you have some of the toughest critics in the world, but they are also the nicest, none here are out to stifle your progress in the business. All here are honest in their opinions and will help you where they can. And remember: the opinions offered are just another persons opinion.

Also, it might be a good idea to post your demos in the Critique section here on the board. There you will get a more detailed overview of what you can do to 'take the next step' in the world of VO.

Frank F
mllong

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for your guidance!! I can feel the restraint in my voice sometimes..I dont want to go over the top but then not be dead in the water either...I know on my part and as you have said its going to take more practice and listening and patience. I am looking into more workshops..there is one called voice one in San Francisco I may attend next month.
Again thanks for the honest advice....
(ok I do have one question..who is the nice looking man in the moustache that you all have as avatars???)
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mllong wrote:

ok I do have one question..who is the nice looking man in the moustache that you all have as avatars???

That, Mary Lou, is our very own Frank F, from Utah.
God has many voices-- Frank's is one.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're proud to have more than one god (a.k.a. doG) in Utah!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mllong wrote:
...This has been fun..my son even has recorded a few things, most of the movies he watches have the behind the scenes that feature the voiceover artists. He thinks it's fun too!!
Mary Lou

Welcome Mary Lou!

I find my kids to be an invaluable aid to me in the VO business - they help to keep me current on comedy, cartoons and video games (and they are good models for character voices). Glad your son is supportive!

Mary
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the history of Frank's ubiquity:

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1149

He hasn't quite reached Elvis stature but give him time. I fully expect Martin Handford to publish a Where's Frank? series any day now!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh, shucks... Blushing (N3) Thank you one and all... it is fun...

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Kiss Mary McK for using the word "ubiquity".
Yugure

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to meet you! I am also a beginning voice actress, I have a (soon to be) agent, and a new great quality microphone!
I live in Southern California.

For a great microphone, I recomend Altec Lansing brand... that IS NOT what I used in my demo, what was in my demo was a 7 year old microphone that came free with a singing program, (the program didn't even work by the way...when you clicked record it made loud highpitch noises)
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: