VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have to have an ISDN line?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brewski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Do you have to have an ISDN line? Reply with quote

I'm as green as they come so pardon the very basic question here but do you have to have an ISDN line for VO work?
I was under the impression I could do the production and VO work from here at home and email the files.
I understand that the client may want to be on live with me at the time and it is easier for them to take the audio from me direct and right at the time of the reading but do most clients want or expect you to connect to them via ISDN?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank You!
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't need ISDN to do VO at home, and I do not suggest it until you are doing at least 3 ISDN sessions a week, regularly.

If a client requires ISDN, you can rent a studio that has it at a nominal rate. Look around.

You can also be directed over the phone via a phone patch or Skype.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from experience, do not jump the gun and get ISDN prematurely, in other words, until you have a regular client or clients who require it and justify the expense.
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with waiting to get it until you have a client who needs it, is that it takes the better part of 2 - 3 weeks to get it installed and any kinks worked out. Chances are, any client who requires you to have it will have likely just hired someone who already has it in the first place.

If you live near a studio where you can book the occasional ISDN session if you need it, than yes, it probably does make sense to wait until a long term gig is secure. Otherwise, I would wait until you are regularly auditioning for projects at a level at which ISDN is commonly required. Think TV promos, national commercials, etc. If you book something and don't have ISDN or studio nearby that has it, it may be very difficult or impossible to talk the producers into doing a phone patch.
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as one who uses my ISDN regularly, i have to agree...wait and see.

there are lots of other things you could put that money to as you get started.

besides, you may discover it's not available where you live anyway.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe pretty much nailed it on the head.

I would add anyone can do it on a lower budget if they take the time to find the sellers. By contacting some of the one stop shop conference planning organizations in their area to find out who they source for A/V gear. Typically, one vendor in the chain will purchase this hardware, passing the cost along to the client for the event, then turn around and sell the hardware at a reduced price after the event, padding their pockets on both sides of the deal. Getting placed on their classified distribution list gives you first opportunity to enhance your studio at rock bottom prices on basically new equipment. Focus on those companies who cater to large scale sporting events for broadcast gear (and keep your trap shut until you 'after' your phone patch or ISDN codec purchased, in your hands and you're happy). Las Vegas, a goldmine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: