VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any MAC folks upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard & hav
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Any MAC folks upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard & hav Reply with quote

to upgrade PT 7 to PT8? Was is worth it? Did you have to redo all your plug-in settings or does the new program remember your presets? Thanks for the help!

Now what did I come in here for?
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this question, Pam!

I've been using a Macbook with OS 10.4.11 and Parallels (to be able to use my old creaky Office 2003) since 2006. Office 2011 for Mac was released today. My dilemma is whether or not to upgrade the whole system to a new Macbook Pro w/Snow Leopard to facilitate the installation of Office 2011 (which requires a minimum of OS 10.5x).

Of course the minute you upgrade the OS you have to upgrade Pro Tools, something I have absolutely no desire to do. Not only am I perfectly satisfied with PT 7.4x, but if I upgrade to 8 I'll undoubtedly have to upgrade my Waves plugins.

Looking forward to hearing opinions. Thanks, Jim
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed we get an answer Jim. So far lots of lookers, no answerers!

TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but I didn't have to upgrade Pro Tools. I'm still using PTLE 7.4.2.

Doesn't really answer your question, Pam, but you probably expected that.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was get a 2nd laptop.
I know this isn't the solution for everyone, but I've got my studio machines on OS10.4.11 and my internet/design machine on Leopard, and I'm considering the bump to Snow Leopard.

Guitar Boy (Independent Mac Tech) is ambivalent about it, but I'm thinking it will help me do tech stuff for my family and pals who HAVE upgraded.

The upshot is I get to keep my PT setup in its rock solid environment. Can't argue with no crashes.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others, I'm running Leopard (10.5) and want to upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6). Unfortunately, like others I've been running Parallels to get the occasional use of Windows programs (under XHobo Happy. My version of Parallels does not work under 10.6, and I was reluctant to spend another $49 on the Parallels upgrade (especially as the 10.6 upgrade is itself only $29!). I've now installed VirtualBox, and while not quite as polished as Parallels, it works just fine, runs XP/Office and is free! Supposedly it has no issues with 10.6 if you get the latest maintenance release.

If you're running Leopard, download a small program called SnowChecker. It'll run though your application directory, check against its database, and let you know if anything needs updating or replacing to run under Snow Leopard.

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/snowchecker

Cheers
Peter
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any MAC folks upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard & Reply with quote

Pam wrote:
to upgrade PT 7 to PT8? Was is worth it? Did you have to redo all your plug-in settings or does the new program remember your presets? Thanks for the help!

the default user preset folder is located here for both PT 7 and PT 8

Library/Application Support/
Digidesign/Plug-in Settings

which means your presets for 7 should show up in 8.

if not, you can always go to "import settings" in 8, go to the default folder, and load your 7 settings, whereafter, they will be forever saved in 8

as far as whether its worth it to upgrade, that's a personal decision....the graphic interface for 8 is graphically prettier and a lot easier on the eyes..the ability to customize the interface and move things around is. nice...

having the waveform now in 16 bit resolution makes it much easier to work with..you can now make separate automation lanes for volume, so you can see your waveform and volume automation lane together...... there are a couple of useful new plugs for VO, Maxim and the AIR Gate...

the huge disadvantage, as was mentioned before, your old Waves Plugins will not work...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been holding off with 10.6. But Lion is coming out soon and I don't want to get to far behind.

Though I do love the look and feel of 10.6 and it is lean OS, but Lion sounds like it's going to be even leaner.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17230/everything_we_know_about_mac_os_x_10_7_lion?source=rss_blogs

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony said

Quote:
I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but I didn't have to upgrade Pro Tools. I'm still using PTLE 7.4.2.

But the digi site that you can't run 7.4.2 on Snow Leopard. I don't want to change my PT to 8 (even though it's prettier) as I've just gotten pretty facile in running the program...yeah right, who'm I kidding? Seriously, I know how to do the 3 things I need to do on the program and I don't want to learn another version of it. If I don't have to upgrade PT, I won't.

But I'll be calling you Tony to come help if my system blows up!

By the way, thanks for the all the help everyone!

captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.4.2 might RUN on Snow Leopard, but since its not supported by Digi, you are "proceeded at your own risk", meaning things could crash and burn in the middle of a session. not cool

PT 8 isn't all that different from 7.4.2, function wise....hardly different at all, really
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&itemid=22904

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between "unsupported" and "doesn't work." But, Pam, if I get any reports of peoples' iPods bursting into flames while listening to any of the audiobooks I've recorded using this setup, you'll be the first person I'll call.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

years ago I recording a PT session on an ibook G3 that had serviced me well on an "unsupported" version for a while (it was back in the 6.0 days)..never had any issues.. so I took the thing out on the road and recorded about an hours worth of audio, only to find , when I came to home base to play it back,, that the entire session had a noticeable buzz and distortion, which I did not hear on playback when recorded.

Digi's answer? unsupported

Yes, I was a sinner, but I have mended my ways
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like living on the edge of danger. I think I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens. I'll post if chaos ensues.

Wish me luck!

georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally less stable, but I hear it works.
But if you are Pro Tools user you're already accustomed to that...
I always recommend going the route Deirdre does, if your career depends on PT.

G
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: