VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

........don't rain on my parade!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood and noted....I assumed something might have been brewing to which I was ignorant hence my "issue" comment. I stand proudly corrected.
audio'connell wrote:
Secondly, save for some legal reason that I may be oblivious to cause I'm not on board as often as I might like and am unaware of some "issue", the very concept of pulling a critique disappoints what I feel to be the very essence of the board.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.B.
There was once a very wise man who said " Wounds from a friend are faithful, but an enemy multiplies kisses." perhaps I wasn't clear, personally, I think it best to tell someone the truth, even if it hurts, than to blow smoke up their tailpipe, I do think though that in general, when criticizing anyone on anything you want to gracious; recognizing two distinct and very different realities:

1. Neophytes in this and many other businesses better recognize one thing right away, that this is in fact a business and that as such there is no real demand to be "nice" I aoppreciate Peter's Sinmon Cowell reference, it clearly applies. Additionally neither you or anyone else on board is under any compusion to say anything, good bad or indifferent about anyone's posting, thus any offerings however, (can I say tactless?) should be viewed as a contribution to the posting parties overall success.

2. On the other hand, the second reality, is simply that folks have feelings This is personal we all put our heart and soul into our work and while it is critical that we judge each other professionally and objectively, it is also important that we don't critisize each other into oblivion, we of all people should understand that words mean things and are not taken lightly. I look at it this way it takes heat and pressure to turn a lump of coal into a diamond, but that same heat and pressure can crush it into dust.

Diedre I continue to really appreciate all you do and the others who have been here a while, I hope you don't hear what i am saying here outside of that, but as this is an open forum I thought I'd offer my two cents.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sitting this one out, because my opinions have been expressed thoroughly and in great detail by others, but I feel the need to get my words out there...

In the past year that I have been a member here, I've asked for critique and received it, additionally I've tried to provide some constructive criticism where I felt it was appropriate and never once have I been offended by a post in the critique forum (keep in mind I'm Canadian and we Canucks tend to get offended a bit easier than most!). I recognize that sole intention of each and every individual giving their time and opinions, is to help the solicitor of such opinions improve!

True honesty requires an unfiltered flow of words, as soon as we start to think "Hmmm, I seem to remember this individual being a bit more sensitive than that guy... I'd better use NICE words instead of truthful ones", then the validity of the response is shot to Hell!!!!

Bottom line for me... Pros get paid for using their voice, whether it's being recorded or providing guidance to those with less experience... It's provided here for FREE (to everybody except DB, who graciously pays the hosting fees and moderates the board...) If you can't handle truth, don't ask for it! And if you do ask for it, do with it as you please, but keep you mouth shut (or fingers still) if you don't appreciate the opinions offered in good faith!

The greatest thing about this board is that everyone truly cares. Keep that in mind the next time you read something that you may not truly appreciate or agree with!

Thank you to each and every VO-BB member who willingly put his/her heart on their sleeve and either solicits or provides advice! You are what makes this place so enjoyable and educational!
Apageloman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Said Brian!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but as this is an open forum I thought I'd offer my two cents.

You bet-- and I appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your input.
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting variety of thoughts.

I believe the critique board is valuable and should remain. I agree with those who recommend abstinence for those of delicate ego.

I also had to consider my own participation, not so much as one offering critiques - because I believe others are better qualified than I - but as one requesting a critique a while back.

I got some good feedback, not all of which I was able to digest as readily as I would have preferred. I probed and asked for more insight - a more in depth explanation - and perhaps some may have interpeted that as being defensive when in fact, that was not my motivation. I just needed some help in understanding what I was being told.

Little by little, the patient efforts of Frank And Doc began to penetrate a rather thick skull. For that I am greatful, and I offer my thanks to each of you once again. As a result, I have revised my commercial demo and I shure (okay, bad pun, I know, but I just couldn't pass something so obvious) do hope I got it right!
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined this board because I heard or read somewhere that if you post your demo here, you can count on real professionals listening to it with a critical ear and giving you information that will help you improve your demo, thereby improving your chances of getting work. That's exactly what I found. As a special added bonus, I also found a virtual treasure trove of information hiding in the bb archives.

I have learned so much from listening to the submitted demos and reading the critiques received. As this is an older thread, I can only assume that the decision was made by Deirdre to keep the critique area and I applaud the decision. I must express my appreciation to our intrepid board mistress for this most amazing resource.

I am learning so much here . . . and not just about voiceover.

Thank you all.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
As this is an older thread, I can only assume that the decision was made by Deirdre to keep the critique area and I applaud the decision. I must express my appreciation to our intrepid board mistress for this most amazing resource.

Joe,

I join your chorus of applause and add my heart-felt thanks as well. This is a great resource. I'm so very grateful to be able to play here, to learn here and now and then to offer a thought or two, when it seems like I might be able to help.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread that has been resurrected, quite appropriate for this time of year, but I wanted to add my thoughts. I haven't posted my demo for critique as I don't like sections of it and haven't been able to redo it...yet. I will and when I am ready with replacement parts, I hope this forum is still around so I can get honest feedback from people who's opinion I respect. I may not like everything they say but I will accept the fact that I asked for their opinion, not their stroke, and what they offer will only serve to make me a better VO talent in the future. Not everyone has the ability to say what I need to hear in the way I exactly need to hear it but that is my responsibility to put my frail ego to the side and listen to the critique objectively. After all, how could someone make a personal attack if they don't know me personally? And why would I allow another's opinion to impact me so strongly? I can only hope that isn't the case, as this is a very tough business and my product, which is me, is being critiqued all the time. This is a business, not a populatiry contest and if I can't handle being critiqued, then I better get out of the business. Please keep it D!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: