VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

........don't rain on my parade!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the year I have been a member of the VO-BB, I feel I have come to know all of you personally, although we have never met face to face. I have learned much reading the thoughts, ideas, and responses from the Pro VO's here. When I posted my demos, I asked for and received honest critiques from many of you. In no way was I ever offended or put off by any comments, even Phillip's Wink or Kevin G's when he busted my chops a couple of times for the regionality issue. I took Kevin's advice on how to deal with it and have seen much improvement. ALL comments are appreciated and taken for what they are, which is exactly what I asked for...honest opinions. I AM HONORED to be a part of this great community and I have improved AND continue to improve because of it. Thank you! My .02 cents cool
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allensco wrote:
I took Kevin's advice on how to deal with it and have seen much improvement.

That's the key, advice. That's the sole reason for somebody putting themselves out there. They're looking for advice. If you take the time to tell someone they suck, at least tell them why and what they need to work on. If your not going to do that, then why bother. And if someone does tell you you suck but give's you the advice on what you need to work on then great, don't be pissed because they said you sucked, take there advice to make yourself better. The bottom line is when you turn the equipment rack off at night ask yourself a few questions. Did I practice today, did I study today, did I LISTEN today, did I make any new clients and did I do any work today for current clients. If you can answer yes to those question's then your taking the steps neccessary to further your career. The way I see it, as long as your makin' trips to the bank and feedin' your family it's all good.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very disappointed in this forum if all critiques were gratuitous and "pie in the sky". And those who submit should feel the same, or seek help elsewhere.
In some ways, I compare critique submissions as though that person were putting on make-up... without a mirror. Sometimes you'll be coloring inside the lines... other times it will be a complete mess. If you look like a clown and I heap mounds of praise on your accomplishments, what does that say about me when others compare your make-up misfortunes to "Night of the Living Dead"?
One thing I like about Phillip is that he can step on your shoes without scuffing the shine... but I've never seem him identify a problem without proposing a corrective measure.

(My plate is pretty full right now... I hope my words came across okay.)
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
JeffK
T-Shirt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am becoming more inclined to adopt a position of "dignified silence"…

Quote:
…I seriously considered taking that forum offline.

To Phil and DB, DON"T!!

DB, I am your biggest groupie (and I don't mean stature!) and I have learned a tremendous amount from this forum and I can only imagine how frustrating it may be to manage this site but I hope you see that the good far outweighs the bad. For me the the enlightenment that I have received from reading critiques is invaluable. Many times I have listened to posted demos and made my own mental notes and compared with the posted comments. I have gained new insight that has helped my listening skills and helped improve my self critiques thus improving my craft.

Phil, in my humble opinion, any noob should be honored to have yourself and other pros here critique no matter how "vicious" it may appear. Although, I often find myself uttering "huh? because of your awesome wit and command of the English language is at times far above my head!..but I ALWAYS enjoy!

It is very clear on the board
Quote:
Post here to get feedback from the toughest critics on the planet.

Quote:
..need a massage and only seek approval

When I posted my demo, I hovered over the send key for a long time. Yes, I was very nervous and prepared for the worse and I am guilty! Yes I admit it!!I was hoping for a stroke or two!

For those considering posting a demo, as was mentioned several times...if you can't stand the heat...! If you don't want honest feedback, DON"T ASK!

It is my greatest hope that those that take the time out of their busy schedules to provide this wonderful service...PLEASE, Don't stop!! For those that may have provided this feedback at one time and stopped, I hope that you will reconsider!

My $0.02.

Thanks!!!!
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffK1 wrote:
Quote:
I am becoming more inclined to adopt a position of "dignified silence"…

Quote:
…I seriously considered taking that forum offline.

To Phil and DB, DON"T!!

For those considering posting a demo, as was mentioned several times...if you can't stand the heat...! If you don't want honest feedback, DON"T ASK!

It is my greatest hope that those that take the time out of their busy schedules to provide this wonderful service...PLEASE, Don't stop!! For those that may have provided this feedback at one time and stopped, I hope that you will reconsider!

What he said. Put my vote in with the others above. Anyone too sensitive to handle criticism should not ask for a critique. When I post my demo in that forum I want the most critical people here to slice it to ribbons, providing they explain why it's a problem and how to correct it. And hopefully come positive comments as well (if there's anything good about it, no empty praise as ego-salve please), not so much to ease the sting of the criticism but to illustrate the strengths that can be emphasized or integrated into that elusive "signature style." Philip, so long as critiquing is not an unpleasant chore for you, please don't stop. You may be considered the Simon Cowell of the critique forum but that's a good thing, every panel of judges needs one to keep things all shook up.

And Deeby...if I may paraphrase a statement you made to me in an email once...

"Ne Take-Offlinez Pas!.....don't you dare."

Love this board (and it's Mistress) just the way it is, Dierdre. If us kiddies need to be slapped around once in a while to keep us in line with the format, so be it... we'll listen.

EDIT: All this is coming from someone with an admitted problem of fragile confidence/ego. If I post something and openly invite everyone to kick the sh*t out of it, I wanna hear boots approaching like DB's Scary Commie Laibac Kitties. Once again, just be specific.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints on my end; I'd observed Banksey's frankness on other boards and welcomed it here. I'm using the comments I got from Banks and others to update and improve my demos. No downside to that. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are about even with Courvo's. As a noob to this industry, I'm in total sponge mode. Having come from radio where clients are usually less picky about the sound of the delivery, I've developed some bad habits that I need to correct. Once I get a demo together that I can live with, I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

However, I'm still learning my instrument and the genres for which I'm best suited. I'm taking my Microsoft-techie-stuffed brain and relearning audio production while learning acting techniques.

The pro's here don't have to help anyone else out, but you do. That shows to me that becoming part of this community is a worthwhile use of my time. As protective as we all are of our piece of the pie, it's nice to find somewhere to unwind, hang out, lurk, and have some fun.

Plus, you folks are kinda twisted. Sticking out Tongue

Greg
VO-BB Member #59
Apageloman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I am of the same mind as many in the "newbie" catagory and Bansay I do appreciate your discussing the proverbial "elephant in the living room" with regards to critique. Let me simply offer this; you or anyone else as an individual with a certain measure of water under your VO bridge are certainly at your liberty to offer your comments in anyway you see fit, it's a free country, or BB as it were, I also agree that a certain bit of hard critisisim will serve the neophyte in this business well limply cause you have to get used to it, rejection is part of the gig. I would however ask you to consider that as part of your participation on the critique board you demonstrate a concern for the overall professionalism of the business of VO and that as such while harsh critisism might be brought tongue in cheek an air of civility might garner for you an assurance that your valuable insightmight be more openly heard.
That having been said Banksay, I also recognize that personally, I likely could stand with some skin thickening, and that seems to be your intent, I found your comments engaging on my previous post in critique and continue to work the craft to improve. SOOOOOOOOOO.... thank you for that, and (perhaps a little begrudgingly) thanks for being the Simon Cowell of the VO-BB and keeping us all a little more real.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would however ask you to consider that as part of your participation on the critique board you demonstrate a concern for the overall professionalism of the business of VO and that as such while harsh critisism might be brought tongue in cheek an air of civility might garner for you an assurance that your valuable insightmight be more openly heard.

Dude, we are who we are. Some of us are more tender with our verbiage than others.

It is the WRONG IDEA to ask for assistance here on this board and believe you can direct how that assistance is given.

fixed a damnable typo

Last edited by Deirdre on Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or as the old saying goes: Be careful what you ask for. You might get it.

B
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
It is the WRONG IDEA ask for assistance here on this board and believe you can direct how that assistance is given.

Maybe we need to rename the Critique area... How about:

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, Critiques"

or... put a PayPal button in the Critique area.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey,
How about this?

Honest Critiques: Free
Tough Critiques $50.00 per evaluation,
Good Critiques $100.00 per evaluation
Glowing Critiques $250.00 per evaluation..
Bold Faced Lies: Priceless. If you have to ask how much, you cant afford it....

I'll split the proceeds with ya' D.B.! Wink
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's alot of experience on this board and everyone can learn something from everyone here not just the noobies, which I am not. If you post in the critique section, like I did as I'm sure everyone has seen, you get what you get. Did Phillips response piss me off, make me made or "hurt my feelings" no it did not. I took it for what it was. There's no hard feelings at all. Bottom line is if you're going to ask for help or advice listen to it. Nobody is going to steer you wrong for the hell of it. You may not like what you hear but at least what you get is honesty and I'll take that over someone pissin in the wind anyday.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two opinions on this topic...they're not opposite, just varying.

My wife loves watching American Idol and tonight after a long day of business travel I plopped down in front of the tube and joined her.

Simon, the star of the show gives an honest critique of each performance...the other two boobs say either blah blah nice or try and skirt around a problem performance. One girl tonight even knew she sucked and said so. Good, she'll improve and learn. But this Simon guy gets shouted down even though he's honest with every performance. Further though, people revel, practically faint if Simon is complimentary....its means something when he says a performance is good....good or bad you get an honest answer. Is that not evident to everyone? Is it only to me?

The same applies to the critique forum.

I speak for no one else but myself when I say an honest answer is all I've ever wanted in a critique and its all I've ever offered...including spending time dissecting for FREE when I get paid a consulting fee for when I produce demos...identifying quality, individuality and most of all well rounded talent.

So why is it up for discussion on this board...cause somebody didn't like the tone or the harshness?!

WTF!

A harsh critique puts into words what these poorly reviewed folks are not hearing when they are NOT hired and when their calls to prospects are NOT returned. If someone gets a crappy review but is making oodles of money on their voice....then to hell with the reviewer. You asked for an honest opinion you got it...it’s up to you to decide whether to heed it or ignore it but to WHINE over it would show a thin skin that would serve a person poorly in almost every profession but most especially any type of performing art including VO.

Secondly, save for some legal reason that I may be oblivious to cause I'm not on board as often as I might like and am unaware of some "issue", the very concept of pulling a critique disappoints what I feel to be the very essence of the board. When a public critique is requested, all public responses are valid unless they are deemed libelous or maliciously insulting in a way that has nothing directly to do with a voice demo (which is and should be completely unacceptable). DB has the final say as it’s her nickel but deleting a post for any other reason than the above stated seems to threaten the credibility of the board.

Now, because I personally have no credibility....I never feel threatened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Secondly, save for some legal reason that I may be oblivious to cause I'm not on board as often as I might like and am unaware of some "issue", the very concept of pulling a critique disappoints what I feel to be the very essence of the board. When a public critique is requested, all public responses are valid unless they are deemed libelous or maliciously insulting in a way that has nothing directly to do with a voice demo (which is and should be completely unacceptable). DB has the final say as it’s her nickel but deleting a post for any other reason than the above stated seems to threaten the credibility of the board.

If you are referring to the announcement in the critique forum, you have misunderstood what I wrote.

I will pull a critique thread if the person posting the request for a critique is less than gracious about the responses he or she gets.
I will continue to be sole arbiter of the limits of "graciousness".
Things have happened recently on and off-but-related-to this board that make such an announcement, however idiotic, absolutely necessary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: