VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you use a VO pseudonym, and why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
surroundhound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Do you use a VO pseudonym, and why? Reply with quote

I was noticing that some folks do this for radio and VO, and was wondering how common it is. I'm starting to think about how I want to build my brand -- so I Googled both my maiden name and my married name with "voice" to see what came up. Apparently there's a chick who shares my name who is seriously into Christian folk singing. Which is fine, but made me think about cases where you'd want to be careful you're not mistaken for someone else. I also know a fellow who works as an exec in a marketing firm by day, but sings in a band as a side venture. He uses a different name for each, to keep these "lives" separate.

For those who use a name other than their own, why do you? Privacy? To have something that sounds a little snappier in a morning show promo? To create a separate "brand" for your VO career that's separate from another career or interest?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB Cooper is a "radio name" that made the leap into a stage name and beyond.

You want to be memorable.
An easily-recognizable name is good but being awesome at what you do is best.
surroundhound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your "handle" (and your avatar, too). Smile I used my own name back when I was in radio and then TV -- in my pre-married life. Wink I guess it's snappy enough, my husband thought it was made-up when he met me. lol Unfortunately, there are a ton of folks on the internet now with that name. Though maybe it doesn't matter, as long as there isn't more than one of us doing VO.
CC Heim
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My full name is Connor Carson Heim. Yeah, the girl with three last names. or... the girl with a boy's name. Carson is my maiden name.

For years, friends have called me CC. When I decided to pursue VO, I decided to adopt it "officially" for a couple of reasons:

1) Slating. Connor Carson Heim is just hard to say. It sounds like gobbeldy-gook, and right from the get-go, the person listening to the audition says "huh???" That's not how I want to make a first impression.

2) To remove any belief that I'm male. I can just see clients/CDs sitting 'round the 'puter, reviewing auditions and saying, "dammit, why is this GUY Connor submitting an audition? We specifically said we want a female for this part!" Then they hit delete. Without hearing my lovely and fluid vocalizations. :(

So there you have it. I'm CC Heim, and damn proud of it.

oh, and the weird think is that there are several female VO talents named CC....
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got lucky and was born with my name.
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having a chat with some folks about this the other night. It seems this one particular lady has a catchy gimmick with her last name, Buhler, but everyone spells it Bueller- as it is spelled in the movie. I suggested that she change it to the popular spelling, because if they can't spell it they could have hard time finding her. She resisted, but I'm sure she'll figure it out-- she's a smart lass.

In marketing it's all about instant identity and name recognition. Whatever you do, make it simple and memorable. And hyphenated names are kiss of death ladies, because no one know what to call you.

There are a few actors I know, that have changed their sir names mostly to remove there ethnic or religious connections. But mostly it to make is simple for people to identify, and most importantly, to remember you.

My radio name was Michael Dair, and I've often though of keeping it since I run across so many people that still call me by that name.

Eddie Eagle wrote:
I just got lucky and was born with my name.
The Eagle has landed

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy names may have been important for ol' school marketing in the ol' school days. But now, it's all about relationships and, since so much communication is done in text, any name will do. Your job is not to market a simple name, but rather make friends and be yourself with whatever name you use.

Your friends will never forget your name. Your friends trust you. And therefore, if they can, will work with you.

-Anthony
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of dropping the whole J.S. Gilbert thing and going with "Buck".

Whaddayall think?

If not that, how bout "Murray"?

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck sounds more ... manly. I'd go with Buck

Anthony is right

Anthony's also on a horse. He doesn't need to go with Buck.

Oh, and my name is anything but simple - and in radio I used a simplifed version at times (did you think I just pulled Ex out of a hat?) But I discovered people remember my real name - long as it is. So I use it.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Do you use a VO pseudonym, and why? Reply with quote

surroundhound wrote:
Apparently there's a chick who shares my name who is seriously into Christian folk singing.

Wow, there's another woman named Surround? I would have thought it wasn't all that common. Wink

My name isn't exactly a pseudonym, as it's my real middle name and my real last name. It became my radio name when I was working part-time at two stations about 45 miles apart. When I asked the PD at the first station if he was cool with me working at station #2 he said it was OK as long as I didn't use the same name on both. So I called myself Lee on station #2 and ended up working there full-time and kept the name.

And I can sympathize with not having a unique name all to myself. I even have a page on my website dedicated to as many of my namesakes as I could find on the internet:
Other Lee Gordons
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the legal professional I am M'learned friend, country singing Bobby-Phil Banks, Jazz Phil the flugel, LA acting P. Philip A Banks, radio DJ Andy Philips (switch first and second names around also works as a sung jingle), to my mother Dear one (saves having to remember names), as a human being and voice over Philip Banks, as brand...........I am not and never will be A BRAND.
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He shoots...... he scores!!! My name is Darren Altman and that's my name!! I'm Darren Altman as a voiceover artist and Darren Altman as a professional, freelance drummer. I have never contemplated a pseudonym or a "brand". People are obsessed with brands these days. Brand this, brand that.

Phillip doesn't get the great v/o gigs he gets because he's "pipes" Banks or because of his marketing or his brand. He gets them because he's a fantastic v/artist, a nice bloke, professional and gives the client the read they require. Simple. What is his brand? He doesn't have one.

I don't have a brand and get asked to do all sorts of reads, from corporate E-learning, to impressions, characters for computer games, hip, trendy reads and whatever. Surely having a "brand" limits a person? It tells clients that this is all a person is capable of?

Just out of interest, while we're talking about pseudonyms, what does SurroundHound mean? What does it say about you? What does it tell a client about your abilities, other than 5:1 stereo barking?!

Oh.... and Philip, you forgot Phil "the greased-up slider" Banks, for when you do your pole-dancing gigs. Ninja
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a t-shirt:

http://flic.kr/p/8EYEfX

-Anthony
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Altman wrote:

Oh.... and Philip, you forgot Phil "the greased-up slider" Banks, for when you do your pole-dancing gigs. Ninja

No I didn't forget. For Lap dancer it's Hot Hayley the Huntly Harridan. No touchin' and for "specials" see my manager Dimitri. But NOT in the back of a Fiat 500 as I got a bad back.
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Ant... tweeted!!

anthonyVO wrote:
That should be a t-shirt:

http://flic.kr/p/8EYEfX

-Anthony
Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: