VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seminar - Looks Interesting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry haven't had the chance to post a review of last night's seminar, but i will this weekend.
i didn't go with the intention of "learning" tricks or tips - i went to partake in the energy created by those who are making a successful living in this industry.
i'll explain in my review.

-Anthony
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Tantamount to asking a Hoosier what a Hoosier is. I'm married to one; and she's not even sure. She says that long ago when Indiana was just a wild, untamed terratory, there came a knock at a cabin door on a cold snowy night. The occupant replied, "Hoosier?" No doubt a slurred attempt at "Who's there?"

My wife says the true definition is written on a PostIt note and sealed in the Ark Of The Covenant, right next to the Holy Grail.

Regionalism alert:

If you are from Indiana, and you come to St Louis, never describe yourself as a "hoosier". That word has a different meaning here and it has nothing to do with Indiana. It's a synonym for white trash/trailer trash; basically Jeff Foxworthy's definition of redneck (Glorious Absence of Sophistication).
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK – so here it is:

First of all, let me tell you that if you’re in NY and haven’t been to the Museum of the Moving Image you should definitely set aside some time to visit!

On the MMI’s website, the panel was listed as:
Quote:

Don LaFontaine, voice of over 5,000 movie trailers and 400,000 commercials and promotional pieces; Steve Zirnkilton, Law & Order; Joe Cipriano, NBC, Fox, Food Network; Fred Collins, ABC News; Janice Pendarvis, Exxon, Jaguar, McDonald’s; Les Marshak, Macy’s, Academy Awards,Emmys, Tonys, Grammys; Valerie Smaldone, mid-day host of New York’s 106.7 Lite-FM, five-time Billboard Personality of the Year; Rodd Houston, NFL on CBS, ABC College Sports; Bill Ratner, Court TV’s Forensic Files; Sylvia Villagran, NBC’s Starting Over and Soap Talk; Dave Fennoy, The Billboard Music Awards, Showtime at the Apollo; Stephen Newman, ABC’s 20/20, Movado, Dupont, DeBeers, Mitsubishi; Cedering Fox, The People’s Choice Awards, EPT

But Joe Cipriano, Fred Collins, and Dave Fennoy were missing. Oh, and Joan Baker was there, well… because she put it together (part of promoting her book “Secrets of Voice-Over Success” and its cause –Alzheimer’s)

It was hosted by Alan Kalter of Late Night With David Letterman – he was a riot! It’s important to note that my purpose for attending this seminar was not to “learn” the secrets of voice-over success (I hate that title by the way – I think it’s slightly misleading) but to share in the energy radiated by those who have had greater success in this business than me. I consider these people just regular people with unique experiences and stories related to the voice-over business. As I said in my newsletter, if I were a doctor, I would attend seminars with leading doctors in my field – it’s as simple as that. I believe in energy and the ability we have to use it to create virtually anything we intend to create – so by taking a picture with arguably the most successful man in this industry, I have captured some of his energy and will forever share it as well.

But I digress – the questions presented to the panel were pretty much the same questions they answered in the book – but to hear some of them talk about it was very inspiring. I sat in the front row, but later realized that it was bad for my neck since they were on stage… oops. Yolanda Hancock from the Alzheimer’s Association spoke as well and I wanted to cry at how devastating the disease is… and shocked at how many people are affected by it – both patients and family members.

Before I entered the theatre where the seminar was held, they made me throw out my water – “Sir, you can bring water into the theatre.” No problem. So when I walked down the aisle, I noticed all the water bottles lined up for the panel at the table on stage… I should’ve swiped one – bastards!

The audience was a mixed bunch – many seniors (that frequent the museum), some that had no clue about the industry but thought it was interesting, a few actors, a handful of people that wanted to be voice-actors, and maybe even less that actually are (like me); so needless to say, I didn’t really benefit from the questions during the Q&A. Near the end, they pulled names of people out of a bowl – people that had said they wanted to be voice-over actors. They were given copy and they read for our panel. They received direction and comments from the panel and were able to do 2 to 3 takes. That was interesting, but somewhat boring since I think they should’ve limited it to only 3 people – not the 5 to 6 that they had – that took way too long, so of course we went over on time. There was a girl that was given sexy yogurt copy (only in v/o’s can you say that) and DLF came down from the stage and gave her direction “off-mic” – when she did it again, everyone was amazed at what she did! The crazy part of it was she had no idea that she just got a $24 coaching session from the Don – it was hilarious. Then there was this one guy who was so in love with his own voice that no matter what direction they gave him he still sounded like he wanted to eat the mic… that was funny. The audience, of course, was impressed with his voice so he got applauded – especially after listening to some of the reads that evening.

There was a reception afterwards but I had to leave and head home since I didn’t have the babysitter (mom-in-law) till very late – besides, my wife was at a business dinner at the Upper East Side and I knew she was getting car service home so I made sure I was there at the end of it so I too can be driven home in a black Benz with all the trimmings… LOL. Besides, I saw many of the talent leaving or heading to their limos so I wasn’t going to be able to hang with them anyway.

-Anthony
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Anthony! Sounds like an amusing evening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: