VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's Doing VO Exclusively? For how long?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio'connell wrote:
I guess I'm supposed to only want to do VO's and I want to do them and have been doing a lot of them and love every minute of it but it I don't want it to be the only thing I do because I like doing all of it and have had success doing all of it and doing all of it is...fun!

I'm the odd man out...again

Dude, what the hell are you talking about-- "odd man out"? or "I guess I'm supposed to only want to do VO's "?

We each cobble together a life that suits us best. There is no "supposed to".
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verrrrry interesting. I was just considering applying for a job that pays very, very little but sounds interesting, flexible, p/t, and would allow for development of new skills, primarily video editing and working in association with public television. It also (I think) would offer benefits (there goes that high health insurance bill every quarter, and maybe paid time off!). THAT would be the main reason for considering the position. Nonetheless, I wonder whether I consider these things to assure a few hundred bucks a week from a low-pay job or truly to learn new skills or because I sometimes dread the search for new gigs, marketing, and again developing a voice demo. I, too, have weaved in and out of radio ( a love-hate relationship that is often heartbreaking) and always conclude that VO is so much more interesting for the variety of clients, gigs, and the "easy" money (when it comes). And there's no finding a sub when you can't make an on-air shift or want vacation.
With just a slight, infrequent leaning on fill-in shifts on radio, I'm doing it myself. I finished tax returns last week and show a bit less income than last year but that's simply and only because I'm working less in radio. It was radio for years and countless production ("For all your drapery needs!" "It's Roctober!" "Spring into savings..."); nearly 4 years ago I left my f/t radio gig to do my own thing, and it's benefited me greatly. The faltering I experienced and from which I'm still bouncing back is moving from my (mine! mine! my very own!!) house to my boyfriend's, and taking my studio with me. It's been endless feng shui, validation of my contribution, and casual consideration of getting office space off-site and away from the laundry, dishes, and fridge. So that leads to my next topic, one I'll post now, on "whisper rooms voice boxes" and other VO voice booths...
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been VO, voice acting, radio-dj-ing and performing music for me since 1977 when I was still 11 years old Inoccent. I'm very lucky to still have plenty of national voice jobs after so many years and the end seems to be nowhere near. Paid jobs still seem to find me big time... and that after some odd 29 years! Okay... in fairness (Deirdre knows that) I'm also still involved in making records once in a while. And... I never sleep (sort of). The time I spend on music, is handsomely compensated at night when I record my daily bunch of VO's in the studio I had built behind my house. So basically I don't lose 'full-time' time on music and I can still call myself a fulltime VO Laugh
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was full time, but driving to and from the bigger cities for auditions and gigs took too much time, so I went part time and had a career in several fields to make some real money (this is over the space of about 12 years). I left a lucrative financial advisory practice last June and went full time again. Having a studio in my home made going full time possible.

I think if I had stayed part time and held on to another job I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have in the last year. There's nothing like the fear of NO paycheck at the end of the month to get your butt out there marketing and promoting yourself. I've been paying my bills and have never been happier.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Part-time VO person right now but someday I hope to be able to make the jump to full time. What I am learning is those that are full time need a few different areas of expertise. Not just a commercial voice or narration but it also doesnt hurt to be able to voice station imaging for radio and tv and even charactor voices. Those are my goals for the future. The problem with doing this part time (or "once in awhile" time ) is that with working a full time job you are limited in making enough contacts and going on enough auditions to actually be able to do enough work to make it to full time status. And if you don't have a demo that knocks their socks off....the phone isn't going to be ringing much....even though you may have the talent, if your presentation doesnt say "wow" you wont get much work. That has been my experience. Not all VO demo coaches and producers are created equal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: